Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transportation question from an out of stater
Hi! I'm from Illinois and you might have seen my intro on the new guys forum, but if you didn't here's my story: I come to CO. every summer to hike RMNP and every winter to snowboard. I like to carry a pistol and although Illinois is one of only two states that do not allow a person to CCW I do have a Pennsylvania and a Florida CCW permit. So, I can carry in about 30 states (just not my own :rolleyesedit:). Anyway, as I understand it My FLA permit is no good there because I'm not an official FLA resident, but I can CCW in CO as long as I'm in my car and in my hotel room (since it would be a temp residence) - please correct me if I'm wrong or add to the info as you see fit. Now if I get out of my car with a loaded pistol I would be breaking the law (I don't want that). Now for the big question... Suppose I want to take my pistol hiking in RMNP. Can I pack it away (back pack) unloaded and carry it that way? What about keeping it in a fannypack (made for pistols) unloaded, of course, but the magazine would be on me obviously.

Any other scenerios you feel to offer would be appriciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this and help a guy out!

edit: forgot one thing - what about keeping it loaded while in the tent? Would that also be a temporary residence?
IANAL IDNPOOTV IDNSAAHILN
(04-12-2010, 08:57 PM)flatlander Wrote: Hi! I'm from Illinois and you might have seen my intro on the new guys forum, but if you didn't here's my story: I come to CO. every summer to hike RMNP and every winter to snowboard. I like to carry a pistol and although Illinois is one of only two states that do not allow a person to CCW I do have a Pennsylvania and a Florida CCW permit. So, I can carry in about 30 states (just not my own :rolleyesedit:). Anyway, as I understand it My FLA permit is no good there because I'm not an official FLA resident, but I can CCW in CO as long as I'm in my car and in my hotel room (since it would be a temp residence)
I believe you are a correct on the bolded part. CO sees your vehicle as an extension of your home. No permit/license required to CC/OC in your vehicle.
- please correct me if I'm wrong or add to the info as you see fit. Now if I get out of my car with a loaded pistol I would be breaking the law (I don't want that). Now for the big question... Suppose I want to take my pistol hiking in RMNP. Can I pack it away (back pack) unloaded and carry it that way? What about keeping it in a fannypack (made for pistols) unloaded, of course, but the magazine would be on me obviously.

On the bold part I would have to answer no. Not positive on this but I do not believe CO makes any distinction on loaded/unloaded when it comes to carrying concealed. You are still carrying a concealed weapon. Now since Colorado is an OC state (no license required to OC) you could go that route.

Any other scenerios you feel to offer would be appriciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this and help a guy out!

edit: forgot one thing - what about keeping it loaded while in the tent? Would that also be a temporary residence?
Good question. I have no idea. I would think it wouldn't be a problem. I'll try to dig up some better answers for you or maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in.
Smileak
(04-12-2010, 08:57 PM)flatlander Wrote: Anyway, as I understand it My FLA permit is no good there because I'm not an official FLA resident, but I can CCW in CO as long as I'm in my car and in my hotel room (since it would be a temp residence) - please correct me if I'm wrong or add to the info as you see fit.
You can carry in your car with no problem. The disclaimer to that is if you attempt to conceal it very near your position in the car ( I'm thinking here of having it between the seat and center console - for example). If you are involved in a traffic stop and the officer spots the gun, you may be in for a lot of hassle. If, on the other hand, the gun is on the passenger seat in plain view, you are much less apt to be hassled. DO NOT be handling the gun if the officer is out of his car!

Quote: Suppose I want to take my pistol hiking in RMNP. Can I pack it away (back pack) unloaded and carry it that way?
Gray area, I'd be very careful with that. Besides which, if you need it, there is no way to do a "time out while I get my gun".

Quote: What about keeping it in a fannypack (made for pistols) unloaded, of course, but the magazine would be on me obviously.
That would be a concealed weapon and with no Colorado permit (or state that you reside in) you are in DEEP brown smelly stuff.

Quote: - what about keeping it loaded while in the tent? Would that also be a temporary residence?
I believe so.
Very interesting! Thank you. I didn't know Colorado was an OC state. Even for a non-resident without a (CO. recognized) CCW permit? I figured the back pack carry would be gray area, but how else would you get it to the tent (temp residence) lol.
Also keep in mind that one can not OC in the city or county of Denver. This includes parks owned by Denver county. Not all of these parks are located with in Denver county.
Smileak
That's fine with me (for now). I don't intend to OC since it may cause "stress" to some of my family who will be along. You know how some people get weirded out by OC.
(04-15-2010, 08:30 PM)flatlander Wrote: That's fine with me (for now). I don't intend to OC since it may cause "stress" to some of my family who will be along. You know how some people get weirded out by OC.

I understand wanting to keep the peace. At the same time appeasement of family members is not one of my highest priorities. I will be respectful of their wishes on their property but it pretty much ends there. If out in public or on my property they can either keep their feelings to themselves or leave my presence. Them saying that they do not want to be around me because I have a gun (this has never happened) would tell me that they do not trust me with a weapon. I say Ban them!
Smileak
Very interesting! Thank you. I didn't know Colorado was an OC state. buy keto slim Even for a non-resident without a (CO. recognized) CCW permit? I figured the back pack carry would be gray area, but how else would you get it to the tent (temp residence) lol.