Poll: Is a knife part of your EDC?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a knife part of your EDC?
If so, what blade(s) do you carry and where on your person?
I have a Spyderco Police clipped in my right, front pocket whenever I'm carrying. I've been looking at the waved Spydercos and carrying it in my left pocket.

[Image: SPYDERCO%20POLICE%20SERRADA.JPG]
I almost always have a knife. Never mind the self defense aspect of it. Having a knife available always seems to come in handy.
Smileak
(04-10-2010, 09:12 PM)Lead Junkie Wrote: Having a knife available always seems to come in handy.

Especially a Swiss Army Tool Kit. :D
I found this under a house I was working under about five years ago. Been carrying it ever since.

[Image: 5849_1168759053404_1060770331_30513171_1873512_n.jpg]
Smileak
Always have my Kershaw with me.
I prefer a waved Emerson CQC-7 but its square edges shred my pants, so I usually carry a waved Spyderco Delica.

Colorado is good in allowing fixed blades, unlike most states, but the 3.5 inch blade-length limit for concealment is a real buzz kill. My favorite knives (waved super CQC-7 and waved Spyderco Endura) are just over the limit.
"If you got to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!" -Tuco Ramirez-
I agree the blade size restriciton is rediculous. We should be able to carry a sword should we feel the desire.
Smileak
Good lord, I have no idea why my pics are so damn big! Where I live we can't get internet service so everything has to be done from my android.

Edit- I removed my previously posted gigantic pics of my knife because they were flipin huge.
Fear not the gunDraw, only the holes it makes!:AR15firing:
Hope this size is better!

Attached Files
.jpg   2011-02-21 18.24.27.jpg (Size: 101.82 KB / Downloads: 186)
Ok, now that I'm not posting gigantic pics! This is my daily carry knife. It's low profile and assisted opening make it a dream to carry and supper fast to deploy.

Attached Files
.jpg   2011-02-21 18.33.37.jpg (Size: 85.82 KB / Downloads: 183)
.jpg   2011-02-21 18.31.48.jpg (Size: 91.96 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   2011-02-21 18.31.28.jpg (Size: 92.19 KB / Downloads: 183)
(02-21-2011, 06:25 PM)Lead Junkie Wrote: We should be able to carry a sword should we feel the desire.

Well, the 3.5 inch limit is only for concealing, so if you're up for open carry of a sword, that would work. On reflection, concealing a sword would be difficult anyway.

Suburban78, nice pictures!

Earlier I forgot to answer the question about where I carry the knife. I shoot left-hand, so my pistol is on my left side and I carry a spare mag on the right. I clip the knife to my right front pocket, which works well because it's natural for me to use a knife with the right hand.
@ Suburban. That knife is nice. It really compliments you firearm.

@ Anubis. I was under the impression that the 3.5" rule applied to all forms of carry. I think I though this because I read that a person could only carry a fixed blade knife longer than 3.5" while hunting or for/during sporting purposes.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(02-22-2011, 12:39 AM)Whizzle Dizzle Wrote: I was under the impression that the 3.5" rule applied to all forms of carry.

Unless something is specifically prohibited by a law, it is otherwise legal. For example, there's no Colorado law prohibiting open carry, so it's legal by default.

The relevant Colorado Revised Statutes are listed below. As you can see, the "sports use" affirmative defense can be raised to defend a charge of carrying a concealed knife (knife specifically defined as something with a blade over 3.5 inches long). There is no prohibition concerning open carry of a "knife".

I think the only gray area would be whether a knife clipped in a pocket could be considered concealed; unless one's shirt is covering it, the clip and part of the knife handle are visible. Imagine the cross-examination "Officer, what led you to suspect my client was carrying a concealed knife?" "Well, because I saw it." "And how did you 'see' a concealed knife?" The Spyderco Police model pictured above has a blade over 4 inches long, legal to carry openly, illegal to conceal.

18-12-101. Definitions - peace officer affirmative defense.
(1) As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) "Adult" means any person eighteen years of age or older.
(a.3) "Ballistic knife" ...
(a.5) "Blackjack" ...
(b) "Bomb" ...
© "Firearm silencer" ...
(d) "Gas gun" ...
(e) "Gravity knife" ...
(e.5) "Handgun" ...
(e.7) "Juvenile" means any person under the age of eighteen years.
(f) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over three and one-half inches in length, or any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds, but does not include a hunting or fishing knife carried for sports use. The issue that a knife is a hunting or fishing knife must be raised as an affirmative defense.

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.
(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:
(a) Carries a knife concealed on or about his or her person; or ...

gotcha. I read this code last night and understood it. I had mis read it previously. Thanks for taking the time to paste it here.
Smileak
Yep, Leatherman Charge Ti, clipped in a front pocket. Pocket-sized toolbox.
I would say always but the truth is usually. I don't always remember to grab a knife. There have been more than a few times where I needed one and didn't have one. None of my knives are fancy. Just a few cheap pocket folders. Was looking at some stuff in the Cheaper than Dirt catolog the other day. There are some cool knives in there at what seems like a good price. Maybe just maybe.................
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

I keep one of my Spydercos on me or one of my Kabars... Love knifes
I keep a spyderco or benchmade on me.
I EDC a Spyderco Manix 2 everywhere except work!