Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USPSA@ Ben Lomond
Attempted to shoot a match there yesterday. The match was moving excruciatingly slow. I had stuff to do in the afternoon and by 13:30 my squad had only completed 3 stages out of six. So I had to leave early. The stages I did get to shoot were a lot of fun. It has been a year since I've shot and out definitely showed. I think I need to practice a little before I try again.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Didn't know they ran out there. When's the next match? I'd love to come check it out.
They run the 3rd Saturday of every month.
When in doubt. JFC.

I've never competed, but I'm planning on going out next month to watch if I'm off the crutches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Colorado Rifle Club is the second Saturday. Aurora Gun Club is the 1st Sunday and 4 th Saturday. Ben Lomond 2nd Saturday. Those are the only ones close to Denver area that I know of. Oh there is the Weld county club but I can't remember when they run. They also do steel matches.
When in doubt. JFC.

My family and I were out there today. Windy as heck by the way! Do their matches only go one day?
[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]
Yeah a match is just a day. There are a bunch of other types of shooting disciplines that you can compete in too.
When in doubt. JFC.

Ya we've watched a few different types of competitions out there in the past. But to be honest the only one I've ever had any real interest in is the SASS.
(03-19-2012, 01:50 PM)Ape Wrote: Ya we've watched a few different types of competitions out there in the past. But to be honest the only one I've ever had any real interest in is the SASS.

Apparently they don't shoot SASS there anymore. If you go to SASSnet.com and click on sass clubs, then Colorado, it will give you the location of all the SASS clubs. Come on out and enjoy the fun!
(06-11-2013, 09:41 AM)pocketpistol Wrote: Apparently they don't shoot SASS there anymore. If you go to SASSnet.com and click on sass clubs, then Colorado, it will give you the location of all the SASS clubs. Come on out and enjoy the fun!

That's actually a bit of a long and muddied story. The Colorado SASS group who was using the club were trying to pull some behind the scenes shenanigans (so I was told). So they lost their privilege to call the club "home".
They still use the club for competitions, but it's not "official" any longer.

Last I heard, the club had a new unofficial cowboy club using the gun clubs facility's.
(06-11-2013, 10:19 AM)Ape Wrote: That's actually a bit of a long and muddied story. The Colorado SASS group who was using the club were trying to pull some behind the scenes shenanigans (so I was told). So they lost their privilege to call the club "home".
They still use the club for competitions, but it's not "official" any longer.

Last I heard, the club had a new unofficial cowboy club using the gun clubs facility's.

I don't know about "shenanigans" but when I spoke with some of the leadership of Ben Loman, they were very tightlipped, only telling me that if CAS shooting started again, there would be notifications sent out.
(06-13-2013, 08:33 AM)pocketpistol Wrote: I don't know about "shenanigans" but when I spoke with some of the leadership of Ben Loman, they were very tightlipped, only telling me that if CAS shooting started again, there would be notifications sent out.

That's the reason they are "tight lipped" on the subject. There were things going on with the SASS club that were very wrong. Without going into details on the subject, lets just say that the SASS club was trying to claim part ownership of Ben Lomond with less than scrupulous maneuvers. There's obviously more to it than that, but that's the main gist of it. Hence the removal of the club sponsorship for SASS.
(06-13-2013, 08:40 AM)Ape Wrote: That's the reason they are "tight lipped" on the subject. There were things going on with the SASS club that were very wrong. Without going into details on the subject, lets just say that the SASS club was trying to claim part ownership of Ben Lomond with less than scrupulous maneuvers. There's obviously more to it than that, but that's the main gist of it. Hence the removal of the club sponsorship for SASS.

There are some terms that are kind of used interchangeably, Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) is a general term that includes SASS, NCOWS, W3G, cowboy mounted shooting, and cowboy fast draw. The Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) is a for profit corporation, and local clubs are affiliated with it, having uniform rules, categories, and insurance requirements. Again there are several other SASS clubs along the front range, come on out and have fun.
There's a large USPSA match at Ben Lomond this coming weekend. If anyone's going to be there, look for me. I'm planning on having a "gun for sale" sign pinned to my back (selling my race gun), so I should be easy to recognize :)

Mile High Showdown

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.