Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ammo Watch.
What the hell is wrong with Winchester ammo??????
Nothing. Is it someone else you are talking about? To clarify, I'd love to be able to find Winchester white box again.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(11-17-2013, 02:50 AM)308 Fan Wrote: Yeah but this guy has a weird definition of "not a shortage," and insists on pushing it even when called on it.

I'm not saying there isn't a shortage because supplies have definitely changed. What I AM saying is that as the market changes, one needs to adapt...

Quote:He's so desperate to prove there's no shortage that he buys this dreck and comes here to brag about it? This is ammo you'd buy because you are either really short on cash... or you can't find anything better. Hmmm, must be the former, because surely with absolutely no shortage at present he could find better ammo. He just has to be willing to try harder and not restrict himself to his "usual haunts". You know, like he's been telling us to do. Anyhow, since this is what he is buying and it can't be a shortage, I do hope his financial situation improves soon. Perhaps we should pass a hat.

Crap ammo is still better than no ammo. I bought it primarily because even if it's crap, after I shoot and reload, it's cleaner. :-)

Quote:He didn't happen to mention, given that he claims to go to Walmart once a week, what time he has to go there to find even this sorry stuff, how often he finds it when he goes (half of the time? a tenth of the time?). And as you've pointed out, it's crap ammo. I saw some at a Walmart the other day and the salesman actually advised me not to buy itsince I wasn't planning to run it through a HiPoint! (I wasn't even tempted since I was there for .22--more on that later.)

I'd say I can find ammo at Wal-mart about 1 in 3 or 4 visits. I do my grocery shopping for staples (not meat or produce) on Saturdays and I am usually there around 4 or 5pm.

Quote:Now what was I doing in that walmart? (I said I'd explain later.) Well I drove about 50 miles to this Walmart on rumors that it had some .22 (and it did, in those funky 225 round boxes). But mind you, there's no shortage, you just have to be willing to drive 50 miles to get ammo. Or go every day right around the time the truck unloads. But that should not under any circumstances be construed as a sign that there is a shortage, no sirree!!! /sarcasm

Again, not saying that supply and demand hasn't changed, but you can approach it from one of two ways:

1. Go to online forums and complain about the shortages.

2. Adapt, and when possible, help others in adapting and adjusting buying habits. (I have about 2000 rounds of 22LR on hand which I share with others for target practice. Sometimes friends pay me by buying a beer or a cigar, or even throwing a few bucks in my ammo can after shooting.

Which one are you doing? :-)
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
(11-05-2013, 06:41 AM)DGCJason Wrote: Cracks me up though, people claim ammo shortages when there really isn't, it's just that the ammo they want either costs more than it used to (just like everything else)...

If you will recall, this is the statement I, and others, originally took exception to, and you stood by it when called on it.

(11-05-2013, 12:31 PM)DGCJason Wrote: Still chuckling sans cork... :)

Do you still stand by it?

(12-04-2013, 08:19 AM)DGCJason Wrote: I'm not saying there isn't a shortage because supplies have definitely changed. What I AM saying is that as the market changes, one needs to adapt...

Well apparently you don't.

(12-04-2013, 08:19 AM)DGCJason Wrote: Again, not saying that supply and demand hasn't changed, but you can approach it from one of two ways:

1. Go to online forums and complain about the shortages.

2. Adapt, and when possible, help others in adapting and adjusting buying habits. (I have about 2000 rounds of 22LR on hand which I share with others for target practice. Sometimes friends pay me by buying a beer or a cigar, or even throwing a few bucks in my ammo can after shooting.

Which one are you doing? :-)

I'm doing both, in point of fact. It's not an either-or situation. At this point I've got enough of a backstock of .22 I no longer cringe when I shoot some. Similarly for 9mm and .40 (the latter of which I rarely shoot anyway).

I find this preferable to the policy some seem to have here where they adapt, but then "crack...up" at people who complain and, counter to fact, tell them they have no reason for complaint because the situation they are complaining about doesn't actually exist.

You at least seem to be willing to admit now that the situation does exist. Kudos. Now if you can stop disrespecting people for griping about it and assuming that ALL they do is sit on their asses and gripe, we will have made real progress.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
3 months ago, I saw no evidence of a shortage, so at the time, I called it as I saw it.

Circumstances change so, of course, my stance changes accordingly. If one never is willing to change, whether conservative or liberal, then one is simply a fool.

I meant no disrespect to anyone, but if anyone cries about a situation and doesn't bother to change their expectation, I will continue to chuckle at the foolhardy for their lack of ability to change.

For me, personally, I have no shortage, and I do not expect to be short on ammo, market conditions being what they are.

Remember always, it's what you do in response to changing times that matters most. If you don't shoot AND restock regularly, you have no one to blame but yourself.

'Nuff said...

I had made this post in another thread yesterday (under the auspices of helping - #2 above)

"Cabelas has 22LR in stock online a/o 5 hours ago...

[url=http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rimfire-Ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/Remingtonreg-22-LR-Rimfire-Ammunition/734676.uts?]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/...34676.uts?

Normally shipping costs kill the value, taking it from 7 cents/rd upwards to 14-15 cents/rd, but right now (through midnight tonight get free shipping using promo code 3WINTER"

Not sure if it's still in stock but even if not, the promo code makes other ammo purchases more appealing!
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
My brother just scored 6k hornady .223 projectiles. I'm having a hard time not dancing right now. 9 cents per, not too bad.
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/scorpion-ati-22-lr-40gr-500ct-1260-fps.html

10 cpr (cents per round)

[Image: arevuga8.jpg]
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
(12-04-2013, 03:32 PM)DGCJason Wrote: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/scorpion-ati-22-lr-40gr-500ct-1260-fps.html

10 cpr (cents per round)

[Image: arevuga8.jpg]

Ouch, still too expensive for me.
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com
Yeah, shipping costs usually kill it… You got to find the ones with free shipping
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
When one lives alone and work has a weapons/ammo ban, it's a bit tricky getting ammo shipped to you, because they will insist on a signature (and do you really want hundreds of dollars of stuff left on your doorstep anyway?).

If you are in some equivalent situation, there's a way around this (if the total savings are worth the hassle) by finding out who they ship with (it's usually UPS), then calling UPS and figuring out how to address the label to have them hold it at their facility. Then you can swing by before or after work, at your leisure, instead of having to take a day off, thumb in a certain orifice, waiting for the UPS man to arrive, or risk having a co-worker realize what ORM-D on a box means.

I once found myself in a really bad situation--I ordered a computer online, and the seller insisted on my live signature to receive it. I didn't know this, so even if I had figured out the "hold at UPS" dodge back then, I wouldn't have used it. At the time I was working at Schriever AFB, which was effectively an hour from anywhere, so when I got home one Wednesday and found the slip, I realized I was screwed. Their policy was to make three attempts spaced two days apart then ship it back. They'd try again Friday. And try again Monday. (Not Saturday though, which could have worked.) Then ship it back. Who knows what the computer company would have done, then? At best it would be a couple of weeks before I could get them to re-address it somehow. UPS wasn't allowed to go to Schriever back then, and I was in no position to take the entire day off Friday waiting on the guy. So I showed up in their parking lot 9AM Friday morning, asked around and figured out which truck the load was on, flagged the guy down, and he was willing to give me the package with ID, even though I wasn't at my house. He probably stretched a rule there; I would not be surprised if today this couldn't happen. In any case I got to work two hours late that morning and took some heat but I had my computer.

Biggun
I've done that before when they ship they send an email notification to you with the tracking #

Based on that I call UPS or FEDEX and request to hold for pick up
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
Yes, it's certainly easier today with the internet and tracking numbers. I don't believe my last big multi-case ammo shipment was handled that way at all. I got no notification of tracking numbers. (This would have been about 5-6 years ago.)

Biggun
Got some shaved turkey, paper towels,tortilla shells and some photos printed up today at walmart. On a whim, I checked the ammo case:

[Image: na4aputu.jpg]

$26.67 a box...have plenty so only got 2, left the remaining 15 in the case for others. No 22 though.
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
(12-07-2013, 08:48 PM)DGCJason Wrote: Got some shaved turkey, paper towels,tortilla shells and some photos printed up today at walmart. On a whim, I checked the ammo case:

$26.67 a box...have plenty so only got 2, left the remaining 15 in the case for others. No 22 though.

What Walmart?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

The one in Elyria OH (remember, I moved about 6 months ago for work...)
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
Oh yeah. Brain freeze.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(12-07-2013, 08:48 PM)DGCJason Wrote: Got some shaved turkey, paper towels,tortilla shells and some photos printed up today at walmart. On a whim, I checked the ammo case:

Bought the same at Brass Pro Shop yesterday
Just a note on the shipping thing. Even without a tracking number if you write "hold for pickup" on the door tag, they have always been willing to do that. Even years ago.

Nowadays you can go online and put the hold request on any shipment before it even arrives in your town. Or better call the 800 number, and do it there explaining it's ammunition and ask the agent where those shipments are held, because it's rarely at the out stations. They're usually confused but will find a supervisor and get the answer.

If it's Fedex Ground / Home in Denver Metro, don't believe the online or phone system that they'll re-route and hold at any FedEx location. They will not. ORM-D in Denver gets held at the depot off of I-70 and slightly easy of the Pecos St exit on what's essentially the frontage road. Plenty of parking, walk up customer service door is to the right end of the loading docks on the south side facing the road.

Ironically the facility is also marked "No firearms" if you care, and the location puts it inside Denver City & County.

Don't know on UPS. Everyone seems to use FedEx Home these days and their workers are sure a surly bunch compared to my UPS guy.

Even grumpy compared to the regular FedEx guy at the old house. Out here it's somehow all the same Fedex guy it seems. I've seen trucks with the regular and Home logos both out here but the regular guy has brought Ground packages before in the AM vs the afternoon deliveries I see the Home truck wandering around the dirt roads.

I wonder if working for their Ground/Home division is significantly different or something. Never met the Ground/Home driver out here yet. Just wave at him.

Too bad USPS doesn't play. Man Amazon and USPS out here are amazing. I've had stuff ordered on Amazon Prime tonight, show up as a USPS parcel in a parcel box the next morning. Amazing. Too bad Amazon isn't on the ammo biz. :)
Was in a local gun shop yesterday and picked up another 3 boxes of CCI 22LR (50 count boxes). While there I also saw 22 shorts in 100 ct boxes....about thirty boxes on the shelf. Debated picking some of these up. Aside from the obvious size difference though, I wasn't sure if there were other intended uses/limitations.

I've got the following in 22LR:

H&R revolver
S&W AR15
Remington bolt action rifle

Thoughts on using the shorts in these?
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
(12-22-2013, 10:45 AM)DGCJason Wrote: Was in a local gun shop yesterday and picked up another 3 boxes of CCI 22LR (50 count boxes). While there I also saw 22 shorts in 100 ct boxes....about thirty boxes on the shelf. Debated picking some of these up. Aside from the obvious size difference though, I wasn't sure if there were other intended uses/limitations.

I've got the following in 22LR:

H&R revolver
S&W AR15
Remington bolt action rifle

Thoughts on using the shorts in these?

I only use shorts for a couple of reasons......... In lever actions and revolvers it lets me know when I've shot my last round in order to avoid dry firing. It also helps with semi auto's to let me know when the last round's been shot, but most semi auto's wont let you drop the hammer after the last round's been expelled.

I also keep shorts around for "city/suburban varmint control". In the right gun, a neighbor will never hear you taking out a vole or other destructive varmints. Shhhhhhhh! Draw
[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]