Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ammo Watch.
(11-03-2013, 11:51 PM)DenverPilot Wrote: ROFL!

I pointed out later that the high point would be destroyed even faster by the steel casings than the other firearms, but he said it was only 29.95 to get a replacement so who cared?

He *did* praise them for standing behind their warranty. Apparently when it breaks, you get a like-new gun returned to you and a spare mag.

Somehow it still doesn't sound enticing.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
I like the analogy though:

High Point is to guns as TulAmmo is to munitions

LOL
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
remington UMC 9mm, 250 pack, $70.00, free ship-to-store. $0.28/round.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/706337.uts?avad=48247_f5437b21&WT.mc_id=al35987&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

will be dead soon
9mm 9x19 Ammo 115gr FMJ Wolf WPA Military Classic 50 Round Box - .26/rd

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/products/9mm-9x19-ammo-115gr-fmj-wolf-wpa-military-classic-50-round-box.html
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
steel cased wolf? None for me thanks. And add shipping and it's a whole lot more than $0.26 a round.
Fair point about the steel casings, but there are usually discount codes floating around the net to garner free shipping.

Cracks me up though, people claim ammo shortages when there really isn't, it's just that the ammo they want either costs more than it used to (just like everything else)...

I remember when gas was under $1. I also remember being able to choose between leaded and unleaded depending on the vehicle.
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
It's an ammo shortage because when I walk into a Walmart--where I used to be able to buy any kind of plinking ammo I wanted--they are almost always totally out of stock of anything that is a popular round. Walmart used to have it, now it's picked clean. That's an ammo shortage.

When I simply cannot find .22 anywhere within a 50 mile radius--and that radius isn't in the boonies, it includes the largest county in the state of Colorado (yes, that's El Paso county, not Denver county)--under anything other than sporadic "psst, I know where you can find some" conditions, that's an ammo shortage.

When I have to get word on the internet that some store actually has a particular kind of ammo, then drive thirty miles out of my way to go get some, hoping it hasn't disappeared in the last two hours--that's an ammo shortage.

When I end up buying big boxes of the cheap stuff, instead of small boxes of quality ammo, because I'd rather walk out of there with 675 rounds of low quality ammo than 300 rounds of high quality ammo and the retailer won't let me buy more of either because he is worried about his stocks--that's an ammo shortage.

When I go through all of that hassle and actually find myself taking comfort from the fact that it might be the first sign things are starting to change--that is an ammo shortage. Hopefully one that is abating.

Note here I am NOT bitching about price. I've long since bought ammo in other calibers at prices people would have screamed about two years ago. (I do see a slow downward trend though, and that's a good thing.) I am bitching about availability. I don't expect prices will ever return to their old levels (from say January of last year). But I do expect them to go down some more--unless there is another panic leading to... another ammo shortage. And I do expect walmart will eventually have ammo, cheaper than everyone else, but not as cheap as it used to be.

So if you really are "cracking up," shove a cork in it.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
308, if you're looking for something in particular, tell me -- unfortunately I'm in Walmart quite often (Razorback and Powers & Woodmen stores), and if I see something on your list I'll pick it up and you can reimburse me (implies "no profit on my part" :)).

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
(11-05-2013, 08:58 AM)308 Fan Wrote: It's an ammo shortage because when I walk into a Walmart--where I used to be able to buy any kind of plinking ammo I wanted--they are almost always totally out of stock of anything that is a popular round. Walmart used to have it, now it's picked clean. That's an ammo shortage.
So if you really are "cracking up," shove a cork in it.

Edited for length, because I got it after your first example. Don't misunderstand me - I feel your pain about having to change the way I shop, but I don't believe the way we are shopping now is a result of an ammo shortage...it's because of hoarding. Stock levels are much better than what they were 6-12 months ago, as I can go to Murdochs, Cabellas, Sportsmans Warehouse, or any other store and see more ammo available. Is everything fully available? No, but that means I change my shopping habits because of the way buying trends have shifted. People are now going in and buying as much as they can, then hoarding it and not even using it to stay active and shooting regularly.

My brother is just as guilty stating to me that he had rounds in excess of the tends of thousands to accommodate all the calibers he wants to maintain. When I asked him how often he shoots, he says he's not actively shooting. This is the same brother that last year bought an AR for $2000...and I am seeing those around now for around $1200.

I chuckle (cork removed) because people atribute a change in buying patterns to a shortage of supply. Supply has come back. I can find brass both in stores and online. Different calibers, different types (FMJ vs HP), and different casings may have become more or less prominent, but if you are intent on buying munitions, there is always a way. Do you have to change your habits? Of course.

But changing your habits based on the buying patterns of others does not constitute a shortage. A shortage is defined as not enough to go around. There is enough - just some a$$hats are hoarding out the wazoo, and forcing the rest of us to change our own tendencies.

If I know a storm is coming, go to the grocery store and what's gone - bread, water, and rock salt. Is there a shortage? Heck no - a week later stock is restored...there is a temporary reduction based on buying patterns. If you define a shortage as not being able to buy based on your own history, then a shortage could exist on any commodity. There could be a shortage of gold, gas, ammo, bread, water, whatever.

This is not to say that supply is infinite, because I recognize that, but for our purposes here, we are talking about availability. Availability is there, you just don't like the places and types of availability. Adapt.

If you've not learned by now that the world we live in is always changing and we have to change with it, then an important life lesson has not yet been learned...

Still chuckling sans cork... :)
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
Whether there is less ammo available from people hording it or not manufacturing it, it's the same end result.
You're missing the point...if people are buying out of fear and hoarding ammo...it's still being purchased. If it can be purchased, then there is no shortage. You're just not the first in line, or the one not adapting.

I have all I need because I buy a box or two of whatever I need whenever I happen to see it, whether it's locally or online.

Most people I know have ammo and access to buy more through local stores, online orders or where ever... I got nothin else.
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
(11-05-2013, 07:09 PM)DGCJason Wrote: If it can be purchased, then there is no shortage.
Ah, no. If demand > supply, there is a shortage.

O2
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
That's what I've been trying to say, if demand >supply= shortage, but you ARE able to find ammo then there is no shortage.

"But I wanna waltz into any store and find this caliber in this jacket"

Well, they're sold out, but you can get it here or in this jacket...

A couple hoarders came in and bought up everything we have. Try online...

Really?

There's not a lack of supply, it's just available in a channel you don't like or at a price you don't want to pay. Not liking the channel options is very different from a lack of any availability...
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
(11-06-2013, 07:13 AM)DGCJason Wrote: "But I wanna waltz into any store and find this caliber in this jacket"
Ah, here's the disconnect.

I want to waltz into the store where I USED to buy the jacket (not just any store), the store still wants to carry the jacket, the jacket is still being made but the store itself cannot get the jacket and therefore (here's the key) the expected level of difficulty of buying the jacket, set by decades of buying jackets, cannot be met with the current supply of jackets (whether it cannot be met because of lack of supply or increased demand is moot, in either case it's a shortage).

By your definition if I and a million other people want to buy one box of 9mm, and there's exactly one box of 9mm available for sale at a store somewhere in NE Vermont, there is no shortage because I (or a million others) can in fact buy it.

Might be your definition of "no shortage" but not mine, nor anyone else's.

I hung in there just because your definition of "no shortage" is entertaining, but I don't think there's much else to say on the topic. :)

O2
Heh, ok, fair point. I guess my whole basis for the discussion is that:

1. I never rely on one outlet for anything I want to buy regularly

2. I always buy at least one spare to have on hand (just in case)

3. I try to plan ahead and not buy into fear mongering. So when some start scream, er, whin, er, observing a shortage based on their expectation of where and how supplies are available, I just chuckle a little.

People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan...
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
I stop by my typical haunts, the firing range, the butcher shop, the Farmers Market and Wal-Mart weekly.

Whenever I am in Wal-Mart, I'll check their supply. Guess what I picked up today!

[Image: a2any2u7.jpg]

$36 out the door, and that meets my practice ammo allotment for the week. Easy peasy...

There is no shortage if you have a plan and stick to it.
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
(11-06-2013, 08:53 AM)O2HeN2 Wrote: Ah, here's the disconnect.

I want to waltz into the store where I USED to buy the jacket (not just any store), the store still wants to carry the jacket, the jacket is still being made but the store itself cannot get the jacket and therefore (here's the key) the expected level of difficulty of buying the jacket, set by decades of buying jackets, cannot be met with the current supply of jackets (whether it cannot be met because of lack of supply or increased demand is moot, in either case it's a shortage).

By your definition if I and a million other people want to buy one box of 9mm, and there's exactly one box of 9mm available for sale at a store somewhere in NE Vermont, there is no shortage because I (or a million others) can in fact buy it.

Might be your definition of "no shortage" but not mine, nor anyone else's.

I hung in there just because your definition of "no shortage" is entertaining, but I don't think there's much else to say on the topic. :)

O2

Forget it O2, obviously Mr Jason has his own funky definition of "shortage" and he's gonna stand on it no matter how ridiculous others might find it. His coming over here to gloat again just demonstrates that.

Biggun
(11-16-2013, 09:03 PM)DGCJason Wrote: I stop by my typical haunts, the firing range, the butcher shop, the Farmers Market and Wal-Mart weekly.

Whenever I am in Wal-Mart, I'll check their supply. Guess what I picked up today!

[Image: a2any2u7.jpg]

$36 out the door, and that meets my practice ammo allotment for the week. Easy peasy...

There is no shortage if you have a plan and stick to it.
Sounds over priced to me, especially considering it's steel cased 9mm. I refuse to buy steel cased ammo for my guns.
None the less, traveling to multiple locations to find a few boxes still tells me it's a shortage. Finding ammo here and there doesn't make it "not a shortage".
[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]
Yeah but this guy has a weird definition of "not a shortage," and insists on pushing it even when called on it.

He's so desperate to prove there's no shortage that he buys this dreck and comes here to brag about it? This is ammo you'd buy because you are either really short on cash... or you can't find anything better. Hmmm, must be the former, because surely with absolutely no shortage at present he could find better ammo. He just has to be willing to try harder and not restrict himself to his "usual haunts". You know, like he's been telling us to do. Anyhow, since this is what he is buying and it can't be a shortage, I do hope his financial situation improves soon. Perhaps we should pass a hat.

He didn't happen to mention, given that he claims to go to Walmart once a week, what time he has to go there to find even this sorry stuff, how often he finds it when he goes (half of the time? a tenth of the time?). And as you've pointed out, it's crap ammo. I saw some at a Walmart the other day and the salesman actually advised me not to buy itsince I wasn't planning to run it through a HiPoint! (I wasn't even tempted since I was there for .22--more on that later.)

Anyhow, the centerfire stuff is becoming easier to find... it used to just be impossible unless you were in the right place at the right time; now places like Specialty Sports have 9, 40 and 45 even right before closing (long after unloading the truck). You'll pay a bit more and it won't be Winchester White Box (economical but not crap) but it's there. That's progress. But .22 is still a bitch to find.

Now what was I doing in that walmart? (I said I'd explain later.) Well I drove about 50 miles to this Walmart on rumors that it had some .22 (and it did, in those funky 225 round boxes). But mind you, there's no shortage, you just have to be willing to drive 50 miles to get ammo. Or go every day right around the time the truck unloads. But that should not under any circumstances be construed as a sign that there is a shortage, no sirree!!! /sarcasm

Biggun
$36 out the door was for all if it. The steel cased TulAmmo is not my favorite either, but 50 rounds was $10 of 9mm is pretty cheap @ 20 cents/round.

Heck the 22 hydra shock hollow points were more than the 9mm
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast