Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firearm Safety
"Treat every gun as if it were loaded". That. to me, is one of the most over-used yet least understood statements about gun safety.

Why?
How do you do that?! - - - What SPECIFIC steps do you take?

I'm sure most, if not all of us, know that really means:
1) ALWAYS point the gun in a safe direction.
2) ALWAYS keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to shoot.
3) ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to shoot.

4) Know your target and what is beyond.

My question is "Why not just say that?" A few of the people reading in most forums do - not - have the knowledge base to expand the single statement into the four that we actually need to use. Why not help them?

In my opinion, many (and some would say most) that use the "treat every gun as if it were loaded" oversimplification do so because they have learned about guns from TV and movies, rather than from a good instructor.

What other safety precautions do you think should be added to the initial four?
One thing I think a lot of people underestimate is the ability of children to find things that are hidden and to reach things that you don't think they can. My kids constantly surprise me by doing things I didn't think they could do.
Smileak
(04-09-2010, 11:54 AM)Lead Junkie Wrote: One thing I think a lot of people underestimate is the ability of children to find things that are hidden and to reach things that you don't think they can. My kids constantly surprise me by doing things I didn't think they could do.

I fully agree with the statement "TREAT ALL GUNS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED" is far to vague and should be abolished form general use. It seems to me that someone who knows little to nothing about SAFE weapon handling could fall victim to the one line safety rule. Treating a gun as loaded dose little good if the handler knows nothing about how to use it, what is really a safe direction, and how to clear and make safe. I have been at the range and seen people pointing there weapon in the air because they thought that it was the safest direction. If there were to be a universal gun safety line, should be something like, Never handle a firearm without proper training form a qualified person. As far as children, all five of my girls ages 4 - 13 have had safety training and we review it every month while servicing my duty and daily carry weapons.
Fear not the gunDraw, only the holes it makes!:AR15firing:
I find it to be very troubling i have had people hand loaded guns to me i must say if you are showing a gun to a friend or other person CLEAR THE DAMN THING FIRST just saying:DS:
I Would hope that any person with weapon handling training would know better then to hand off a loaded weapon! I personally will never take a weapon from someone if I don't watch them clear it first and the VERY first thing I do even after watching them clear it is to check the weapon for clear while always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. With that being said, I am shocked at how may people say that down is always a safe direction. What if you are in a house with a basement, second floor apartment, in a multi floor building? Down is not always the safe direction. So what is? I would like to hear your thoughts on this...
I usually point into my bed, my mattress is two feet thick, or toward an outside wall when unloading. Down is not always a safe direction. Especially if you are on a slab. A ricochet from a straight down or slightly angled shot can still cause harm if close enough.

As for handing off loaded guns Dunno I don't really mind. If it's pointed in a safe direction and both parties keep their fingers where they should be, then it's no big deal. Probably a good idea to state that it is loaded before you hand it over also. I guess I should add that I don't mind if it's someone I know and trust their safety in handling. My best friend for instance, NOT THAT I WOULD DO THIS, but I trust his safety enough that if I handed him a loaded gun with the barrel pointed at me, I would not worry about getting shot.
Smileak
Now that is trust.
(02-06-2011, 02:38 AM)Suburban78 Wrote: Now that is trust.

Remember I said "Not that I would do it".
In fact I was thinking about this and I don't think I've ever handed off or recieved a loaded firearm any place other than the range.
Smileak
I Know, still thought it was a bold statement and ultimate trust.I won't sweep myself with the barrel, let alone having someone else handling a weapon.
(02-04-2011, 08:32 PM)Suburban78 Wrote: I Would hope that any person with weapon handling training would know better then to hand off a loaded weapon! I personally will never take a weapon from someone if I don't watch them clear it first and the VERY first thing I do even after watching them clear it is to check the weapon for clear while always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. With that being said, I am shocked at how may people say that down is always a safe direction. What if you are in a house with a basement, second floor apartment, in a multi floor building? Down is not always the safe direction. So what is? I would like to hear your thoughts on this...

point taken
(02-04-2011, 08:32 PM)Suburban78 Wrote: What if you are in a house with a basement, second floor apartment, in a multi floor building? Down is not always the safe direction. So what is?
No direction is safe if you include damaging your house as something to avoid. Some shooters keep a large bucket of sand handy and point the muzzle at it when doing any handling at all in the house.
"If you got to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!" -Tuco Ramirez-
(03-11-2011, 04:08 PM)Anubis Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 08:32 PM)Suburban78 Wrote: What if you are in a house with a basement, second floor apartment, in a multi floor building? Down is not always the safe direction. So what is?
No direction is safe if you include damaging your house as something to avoid. Some shooters keep a large bucket of sand handy and point the muzzle at it when doing any handling at all in the house.

Meh. Bullet holes in the walls only add character. Blame them on overly annoying flies.
Smileak
That's funny! I would have tons of holes and no money. .45 isn't cheap.
I always take a second to think about where the bullet would go just as I make the move to unholster, or handle gun+ammo. That's how I explain "safe direction" to people that I'm working with.
The entire time you're handling a gun where would the bullet go if you pulled the trigger now?
Unfortunately for to many people the honest answer would be their eye, their leg, person standing next to them etc..
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.