Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone find this offensive?
I shared this photo on FB and two family members deleted me because of it. One of my brothers also shared it and two friends of one of the family that deleted us threatened to kill him and his wife. Their reasoning was that the caption disrespects our military.

I think the image and caption points out that Jesus is the hero of all heroes. The one that made the purest sacrifice and the only one truly and completely worthy of our worship and adoration.

So I want to know what others think. Whether you believe or not. Is this picture offensive and if it is, is it as offensive as some people are making it out to be?

[Image: 397947_2872740251869_1060770331_32975727...7766_n.jpg]
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(02-04-2012, 12:02 PM)Fracker Wrote: I shared this photo on FB and two family members deleted me because of it. One of my brothers also shared it and two friends of one of the family that deleted us threatened to kill him and his wife. Their reasoning was that the caption disrespects our military.

I think the image and caption points out that Jesus is the hero of all heroes. The one that made the purest sacrifice and the only one truly and completely worthy of our worship and adoration.

So I want to know what others think. Whether you believe or not. Is this picture offensive and if it is, is it as offensive as some people are making it out to be?
Not offensive at all to me! I agree he is a hero!

Got a wife and kids in Baltimore jack, i went out for a ride and never went back. BS

(02-04-2012, 01:25 PM)kj4963 Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 12:02 PM)Fracker Wrote: I shared this photo on FB and two family members deleted me because of it. One of my brothers also shared it and two friends of one of the family that deleted us threatened to kill him and his wife. Their reasoning was that the caption disrespects our military.

Not offensive at all to me! I agree he is a hero!

I do have respect for the man,but that is what he was a man.
Many others throughout history have died for what they believe in.
That is where we disagree. He was a man yes but he was a perfect man. He lived a sinless life. He is the Son of God.
When in doubt. JFC.

(02-08-2012, 09:50 AM)Fracker Wrote: That is where we disagree. He was a man yes but he was a perfect man. He lived a sinless life. He is the Son of God.

I don't find it offensive, but I will say that I include soldiers in the hero category. Why? Jesus died on the cross so that mankind could be saved from their sins - the ultimate sacrifice. Soldiers put their lives on the line, many of them sacrificing their lives as well, fighting for the rights of others. I would consider that the ultimate sacrifice that we as humans can make - giving our life for the good of others.

Actors and athletes should not be mentioned in any discussion of heroes - they have done nothing to show that they should be considered as such. Yes, many of them have their cause of the day/week/etc, but they have done nothing to show a heroic act. I personally think that too many people idolize these people far more than they should. They are famous people that got that way because they have a talent (most of them) that got them recognized in the public eye. Many of them are no better at their job than some of us are, they are just famous for doing so. I have seen some craftsmanship by wood-workers that pales even the best actors and sports figures work, they just don't get the notoriety for it.
Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Any religous affiliations aside......I'd say those family members who deleted you from their friend status along with the one threatening death have some SERIOUS issues.
I could see if this was posted on a Muslim version of FB and it being offensive. But other than that I can't see anyone in my family deleting me for any of my postings.
[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]
(02-08-2012, 12:49 PM)alang Wrote: I don't find it offensive, but I will say that I include soldiers in the hero category. Why? Jesus died on the cross so that mankind could be saved from their sins - the ultimate sacrifice. Soldiers put their lives on the line, many of them sacrificing their lives as well, fighting for the rights of others. I would consider that the ultimate sacrifice that we as humans can make - giving our life for the good of others.

See I don't automatically put soldiers in the hero category. I served five years and don't consider myself a hero at all.

I do find serving whether it be military, fire, police, peace corps or whatever to be honorable. I don't think it automatically makes a person a hero though.

I think in our current society we have come to worship our military, police and fire. The fact is they get paid to do a job. If they die doing that job their sacrifice should be honored but it doesn't make them a hero. I do believe that anyone, including soldiers, can perform heroic acts. Saying a soldier died a hero after throwing their body over a mine or going above and beyond in some other way to save the lives of others is definitely heroic and to those he saved and their families they are considered a hero.

Back to the picture though. I don't think the intent was detract from soldiers or others. I think the object was to point out that Jesus is THE hero. The only one truly worth of our adoration and worship. He let himself be tortured and killed when he could have called legions of Angels to his defense. He lived a sinless life. And no one on this earth, regardless of what they do or who they are can compare to him. Nor are they worthy of the worship that many of those people groups seem to get.
When in doubt. JFC.

Other than the soldier thing... I am not particularly fond of the whole:

"HEY LET ME SHOVE MY THEOLOGICAL VIEWS INTO YOUR FACE!"

Now had it been me, and I have dealt with it, I simply stop following your posts.
nothing to knee-jerk about.

Anyone that is willing to place the lives and well-being of others above their own is a Hero.

Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, Police officer, Firefighter, Paramedic, S&R, Teacher, daycare attendant, or waiter.
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
(02-13-2012, 12:58 AM)Byte Stryke Wrote: Other than the soldier thing... I am not particularly fond of the whole:

"HEY LET ME SHOVE MY THEOLOGICAL VIEWS INTO YOUR FACE!"

Now had it been me, and I have dealt with it, I simply stop following your posts.
nothing to knee-jerk about.

Anyone that is willing to place the lives and well-being of others above their own is a Hero.

Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, Police officer, Firefighter, Paramedic, S&R, Teacher, daycare attendant, or waiter.
We shove our views into others faces on a daily basis. Theological or otherwise. Sorry but your kittens and puppies happy land doesn't exist. When we believe is something, especially when we believe in something strongly, we share our views with those around us and try to convince them to believe as we do. Regardless of what the subject is.

I disagree with your last sentence. A person is not made a hero by their profession but by their actions. I spent 5 years in the military, I am not a hero. I am a volunteer wild land firefighter, I am not a hero.

The definition of hero is a person of distinguished courage or abilities, admired for their brave deeds and noble qualities. Any person can be a hero but they are not made one simply by their chosen career path.
When in doubt. JFC.

(02-08-2012, 09:50 AM)McLovin Wrote: That is where we disagree. He was a man yes but he was a perfect man. He lived a sinless life. He is the Son of God.

Very well said

Not offensive to me but I can see how a person that does not love God above all else would be offended.
I don't find it offensive (very overused word) but I do prefer you keep your private business private, I don't want to see a pic of your wife's ass either. Sure people shove their views into your face everyday but that doesn't make it right. Certain subjects are/should be kept private and not shared with everyone you run across. You might be a cross-dresser or a "furry" (fuzzy?), that is your right and I support your right 100% but I don't want to hear about it. There are a lot of folks who believe some very odd things; flying spaghetti monsters, ghosts, vampires, zombies, alien origins, omnipotent beings, Kennedy was killed by a lone gunman and on and on but honestly I wish they'd keep that between themselves and the other "believers". My granddad used to say "my right to swing my fist ends where your nose starts" - simple enough.

To me the hero is not the guy who signed up for the gig knowing the risk or even that same guy going above and beyond. To me the hero is the guy who does the right thing even when it's not in his best interest large or small. The guy just walking past who runs into the burning house, the bystander who braves the flames to rescue a crash victim or even just the guy that intervenes to protect the helpless abused dog on the chain in the neighbors yard. Is that a picture of a hero? By my definition absolutely. The rest is mixing in your opinion/belief and that's another question.

The guys threatening to kill people over it are the bad kind of crazy, it's just a picture.
(04-21-2012, 08:19 AM)Whistler Wrote: I don't find it offensive (very overused word) but I do prefer you keep your private business private, I don't want to see a pic of your wife's *** either. Sure people shove their views into your face everyday but that doesn't make it right. Certain subjects are/should be kept private and not shared with everyone you run across. You might be a cross-dresser or a "furry" (fuzzy?), that is your right and I support your right 100% but I don't want to hear about it. There are a lot of folks who believe some very odd things; flying spaghetti monsters, ghosts, vampires, zombies, alien origins, omnipotent beings, Kennedy was killed by a lone gunman and on and on but honestly I wish they'd keep that between themselves and the other "believers". My granddad used to say "my right to swing my fist ends where your nose starts" - simple enough.

To me the hero is not the guy who signed up for the gig knowing the risk or even that same guy going above and beyond. To me the hero is the guy who does the right thing even when it's not in his best interest large or small. The guy just walking past who runs into the burning house, the bystander who braves the flames to rescue a crash victim or even just the guy that intervenes to protect the helpless abused dog on the chain in the neighbors yard. Is that a picture of a hero? By my definition absolutely. The rest is mixing in your opinion/belief and that's another question.

The guys threatening to kill people over it are the bad kind of crazy, it's just a picture.

lol. You say religion is private business and you don't want to be a part of it yet here you are posting in a thread in the forum titled "Religion". You equate sharing religious viewpoints to punching someone in the face which is complete nonsense. My sharing my belief/disbelief in Jesus or any of the other things you mentioned violates no one. If someone doesn't want to hear they can choose to not listen.

As far as your examples of heroes, I agree. There are lots of everyday heroes. Ones that don't get special attention. But to me the ultimate hero is Jesus. You may not share my belief and that's okay. The picture, I think, was direct toward believers. As a believer I need to be careful about putting other things, including people, before Jesus.
When in doubt. JFC.

Actually I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another just one of the more interesting discussion threads I've seen on here recently. Out in life (not this thread) I feel your personal beliefs on things like religion are best kept to yourself but it was part of this particular discussion else I wouldn't have commented on it. I felt it was relevant to the reaction you solicited opinions about.

Not really comparing sharing your views to punching someone in the face - speaking metaphorically to Byte's point about shoving theological views down someone else's throat violating their personal space. Apparently not as simple as I thought. :) While you have the right to swing your fist that doesn't mean you can stand around swinging your fists wildly then say the guy that got punched could have walked somewhere else. The comparison is not words versus being punched it is allowing the exercise of your right to violate the reasonable exercise of mine, i.e.; if you are in the walkway it is not reasonable to expect me to walk elsewhere hence exercising your right encroaches on mine.

I disagree with your statement that "if they don't want to hear about it they can choose not to listen" and feel that is where you cross over into being offensive. Your FB page is your personal space and you are right I can choose not to visit there. Likewise your church, your house but this is a public forum, you posted the question and like it or not open yourself to dissenting opinions. Can I choose not to look/listen? Sure but I shouldn't have to avoid a particular forum or thread because my opinion doesn't match yours.

As before I see two questions; what defines a hero and if your religious assertion could be construed as offensive. I stand by my opinion on both but please don't take that as any negative commentary on your faith, I respect your right to believe as you choose.
I disagree that personal beliefs are best kept to myself. Especially on religion. As I said before all people tend to share the things they feel and believe with those around them. They especially share the things they are most passionate about. Take firearms for example. Have you ever talked to someone about guns? If so, have you talked to someone about guns that may not be a gun owner? There are many people that find guns not only offensive but some go into panic attacks at the mere sight of a firearm. Does that mean you should never speak about guns unless it is a private conversation and you know that the other person shares your views? How did you find out the person shared your views unless one of you brought the topic up first?

You and Byte both equated speaking out on my views to shoving them down someones throat. Again, I find it amazing that someone would make such a statement. You state that it crosses to being offensive if someone can hear me that doesn't want to hear. Not only that you seem to be saying that if I'm expressing my views and someone finds it offensive then I am violating their rights. Is that what you are saying? The last I checked there is no "right" to not be offended.

I stand by my statement that if someone doesn't want to hear it they can choose not to listen. Nobody is forcing them to listen. I find half the things people say and do to be offensive. They have the right to say and do them and I have the right to not listen or watch. The only person who would have their rights violated would be the person silenced and kept from exercising their right of free speech.

When in doubt. JFC.

Having a personal conversation with one or two other people is a far cry from posting on an internet forum.
Maybe i'm mistaken but i think this is what byte stryke and wistler are saying.
(04-24-2012, 11:51 AM)bufordtjustice Wrote: Having a personal conversation with one or two other people is a far cry from posting on an internet forum.
Maybe i'm mistaken but i think this is what byte stryke and wistler are saying.

I'm not talking about a convo with one or two people. I submit that if I were to stand on the street corner and read verse I am well within my rights to do so. I also believe that doing so would not be a violation of anyone else's rights either.

As far as posting on an internet forum; if you're referring to this forum this is the section titled religion. If you're referring to a forum like FB. No one is forcing anyone to read anything I post. If they do read something and they don't like it they can delete the post from their feed, delete me from their feed or block me altogether which is what happened.

When in doubt. JFC.

deleted
Best post in thread yet Whistler
I can't believe there has been this much debate on the subject. Offensive, not offensive doesn't really matter. As stated before, I personally don't find it offensive, but I do find that there are instances where people that have done something heroic, making them a hero for at least someone out there. I see crap posted on FB all the time that I don't care about or like, but I just move on past it and consider the source. If someone decides to "unfriend" you because of something you post on FB, so be it. Additionally, I don't see posting this as "forcing" anything on other people, but rather stating your personal views and beliefs for others to know where you stand - if they dont agree or like your opinion they don't have to comment or "like" the post. I have posted pro gun items on FB fully knowing that people that are "friends" on there don't agree with it, and I really don't care if they like it or not. It is something I believe in and is a part of me which they can either accept and continue being friends or they can move on elsewhere, and conversely there are people I am friends with that I don't agree with their views on the subject, but we debate it as friends and move on with life. If people can't accept you for who you are, you probably don't need them around. You don't have to agree with everything that everyone you know believes in, but if you're going to hold a grudge against them for it YOU have issues, much like the people making threats towards your brother.
Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.