Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safariland 6377 holster for open carry?
Anyone have any experience with Safariland's 6377 holster (video)? I'm looking for a holster for OC, so I want some retention; given my good experiences with Safariland's products in the past, this holster has piqued my interest.

Might even order the optional 6006 ALS Guard (video) to see how that works in concert with the basic retention device.

Thoughts?

O2
Nope. My daily carry is a G21 and I use the Glock Sport holster for that. The only other holster I own is a Blade-Tech drop/offset holster for my G35.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Bowers Tactical stocks the Safariland holsters, I was in there today playing with them. I really like the retention on these, the gun locks into place pretty solid, and with a proper grip your thumb falls into just the right place to release the retention.

They didn't stock the model I need for the big gun I want to OC, so I ordered one.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
-Samuel Adams
What is it you want to OC?
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

An M&P .45 fullsize with a 4" barrel. They are a bit thicker than the 9/40 models and won't fit the same holsters. I've been having hell finding an OC holster for it.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
-Samuel Adams
Stumbled upon this post when posting about a low-cut magazine holder and figured I'd follow up!

The 6377 is awesome, though now I'd suggest the 6378 due to the fact that you get belt AND paddle mounting options for only a dollar or two more.

Been wearing the 6377 for about two years now and the retention is excellent and release positive when correctly activated (which is very easy for the wearer to do). The release is activated by your drawing hand thumb pressing backwards on the release on the inside of the holster - something that I find just happens naturally so I found no need to practice it. I don't like holsters where the trigger finger is involved in release, so this holster meets that requirement.

In fact I just got back from Front Sight where I was torn between using the 6377 and the Safariland 5181 friction-retention holster for the class. I was worried about struggling with the 6377 so I brought the 5181 for backup. Didn't have to though - over the entire four days I probably struggled with the holster on a total of three draws (out of hundreds) and each of those times it was because my thumb was getting a little sore due to the number of draws we were doing and I "favored" my thumb a little too much and didn't activate the release sufficiently. As mentioned, the pad of my thumb did get eventually sore from rubbing on the top of the holster after hundreds and hundreds of draws. Not something I'd ding the holster for since that was an excessive amount of drawing!

For open carry I highly recommend the 6377/6378 because of its active retention mechanism - it works very, very well.

I also have the 6378 for my 1911 and it's excellent also. However, when it comes to 1911s, I would only recommend the 6377/6378 for RH shooters without an ambidextrous safety because it does not cover the outside safety (so LH shooters are SOL, sorry).

For LH 1911 shooters I'd recommend the 5181 which does cover both safeties, though it lacks any kind of retention device other than friction.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.