Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More CLEO Sign-Offs for NFA?
Cross-threaded from Calguns

Anyone hear about this or can confirm? This would be awesome!
A step in the right direction. Next here's to hoping they make supressors the same tax stamp as AOW's. 5 bucks vs 200, for something significantly less scary to non-gun people?
(12-07-2011, 09:06 PM)Hammer03 Wrote: A step in the right direction. Next here's to hoping they make supressors the same tax stamp as AOW's. 5 bucks vs 200, for something significantly less scary to non-gun people?

I don't believe there should be any more regulation of NFA than there currently is for any other firearm, and even what we have right now is too much IMO. But every little bit helps.
That would be awesome!
"The more you know - the less you need."
(12-09-2011, 02:01 AM)PsychGuy274 Wrote: WTF?

its spam... and if you do not quote them LJ can make it go away
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
(12-07-2011, 09:11 PM)PsychGuy274 Wrote: I don't believe there should be any more regulation of NFA than there currently is for any other firearm, and even what we have right now is too much IMO. But every little bit helps.

Last year might have been possible. Now? No.

Rootbrain

What's a CLEO? Google was not my friend.
(03-22-2013, 12:57 PM)JCambunga Wrote: What's a CLEO? Google was not my friend.

That lady on TV who gives you tarot card readings. You need her signature saying that it's okay for you to own an NFA firearm. She's an authority, obviously, because she can see into the future and she'll know if you're ever going to do anything bad with it.

Or it stands for Chief Law Enforcement Officer. I don't remember Thumbsup
(12-07-2011, 04:45 PM)PsychGuy274 Wrote: This would be awesome!
Not so much. You think we'd get a win without losing even more? Think again. If you have a trust, everyone on the trust will have to get a background check in order to receive the item from the dealer. With the now-instituted fees for checks in Colorado, it'll add even more ka-ching to the cost of an NFA item.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
That will happen with a Trust no matter what now. No signature for a individual Nfa item is a win any way you look at it.
NRA instructor
$50 concealed carry classes
http://www.cogunowners.com/showthread.php?tid=1704 Click for information
(03-22-2013, 12:57 PM)JCambunga Wrote: What's a CLEO? Google was not my friend.

Chief Law Enforcement Officer.
(03-24-2013, 06:34 PM)Poisonspyder Wrote: That will happen with a Trust no matter what now.
So that reply can be taken half a dozen ways. Currently only a background check on who's picking up the NFA item is required, and not even that in some cases. So that is not the case now (one way of reading of your reply).

Could you expand on your statement?

O2
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Psych guy wrote that would be awesome.

You said
(03-24-2013, 12:40 PM)O2HeN2 Wrote: Not so much. You think we'd get a win without losing even more? Think again. If you have a trust, everyone on the trust will have to get a background check in order to receive the item from the dealer. With the now-instituted fees for checks in Colorado, it'll add even more ka-ching to the cost of an NFA item.

O2

I was saying you don't need a sig from Cleo for a Nfa trust item now so nothing changes for a trust. You are talking about background checks and he was talking about no sig. It's a win if we need less crap to get a Nfa item anyway you look at it with regards to the question from op and psychguys comment. I'm not sure where you came up with stuff about background checks. Your the only one that said anything about them.

Since you brought them up, I believe your referring to paying for a background check fee implemented recently. That will only cost you the ten bucks for the one 4473 you fill out when you pick up the nfa trust item. if you fill out multiple 4473 forms I wouldn't know why, and your dealer is doing it wrong. The trust already went threw way more checks then the 4473 would ever do.

Hope I made more sense. Sorry
NRA instructor
(03-25-2013, 06:45 PM)Poisonspyder Wrote: Since you brought them up, I believe your referring to paying for a background check fee implemented recently. That will only cost you the ten bucks for the one 4473 you fill out when you pick up the nfa trust item. if you fill out multiple 4473 forms I wouldn't know why, and your dealer is doing it wrong. The trust already went threw way more checks then the 4473 would ever do.
I probably wasn't clear (have had a class 10 cold for the last week).

Along with the proposed CLEO signature going away, the ATF is proposing a background check on each and every individual in a trust for every transfer into the trust. Say a background check costs $15 now (just a WAG). If you have 5 people on your trust, that's $75 MORE than the $200 you just spent for the stamp!

There was already a way around the CLEO requirement --- a trust. Yhea, it made the lawyers rich, but the solution was already in place. When enough noise was made about the signoff, the ATF took it as a chance to screw the trust folks.

Unintended consequences. We were better off before.

O2
I see what you ment now. If I had a trust I would probably feel it was a loose now that I know what law their changing with trusts.
NRA instructor