Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gun Laws Tri-Fold Pamphlet
I created a tri-fold pamphlet that summarizes CO's gun laws. This is the newest version of the pamphlet as of 17JAN13.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4PF_hPhOiLJMXU1LWd5V0g4ZGM/edit

.pdf   Colorado Gun Pamphlet.pdf (Size: 1.12 MB / Downloads: 89)
Bacondance
Good job on the pamphlet. Thank you for taking the time to put it together. I will be keeping a few on hand and a few in the car to pass out to those who are interested in learning more.
Bacondance
Smileak
The Open Carry site changed some stuff over....the new link now http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77101-PikesPeakMan!-Re-post-your-pamplet!&p=1295736&viewfull=1#post1295736
Great pamphlet. handy to have
I am living in UT but visit CO 2-3 times a year and it seams I always have to bone up on the little differences between the two states' laws.

I have one question about fully loaded and OCing. Is this legal without a permit in CO? I'm seeing in the pamphlet that it is. That is one thing that is a plus for CO over the UT law. In UT you have to be 2 actions away from firing if OCing and no permit.

Although I OC while at home in UT, I normally always CC in CO because I am not as confident that i know the law as well as CO LEOs if i got stopped or questioned.
If you're not on a government watch list, you're not trying very hard to be an American.
OC is completely legal in CO without a permit. You may carry in any condition you wish. To my knowledge there are no laws saying you need to perform a set number of actions to bring firearm into battery. I carried OC only for a long time because I didn't want to get a permit.

Also, you may carry in your car loaded and chambered CC or OC. Some LE's will try and say that the firearm has to be out of reach or secured in a glovebox or such. This is not true.
Smileak
Question on UT two action rule. If you can not carry a semi auto chambered because pulling the trigger does not count as an action, what would you do if carrying a revolver? The only thing I can think of is to carry with two chambers empty. This would require two trigger pulls before the pisol fired.
Draw=1 action
Trigger pull= 2 action
2nd trigger pull=fire.
Smileak
UTAH:
Quote:76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.

So, according to (1), if a round is in "firing position", the gun is loaded.

According to (2), if a single mechanical action is all that's needed to fire, the gun is loaded. On any single-action-only revolver, two actions are required to fire (assuming you're not carrying with the hammer cocked back), so rule (2) doesn't apply.

I'm not that familiar with revolvers but as i understand it, with a double action revolver you would have to have the hammer resting on an empty cylinder and the next cylinder would have to be empty. requiring two trigger pulls (two actions) to fire. A single action revolver would need to be resting on an open cylinder but since you would need to manually pull back the hammer to get the round to the firing position and then pull the trigger (two actions) this would be deemed what we call "Utah unloaded"

of note: in Utah "the Draw" is not considered an action.)
If you're not on a government watch list, you're not trying very hard to be an American.
If the draw is not considered to be an action what would constitute the other action besides racking the slide to chamber a round? Do you have to carry with the mag out of the gun?
Smileak
(01-31-2011, 12:00 PM)Cake Wrote: If the draw is not considered to be an action what would constitute the other action besides racking the slide to chamber a round? Do you have to carry with the mag out of the gun?
no, you can have the mag in the gun.
As with my SAXD, (first) action is the racking of the slide, this actually deams the gun loaded under the UT statute. (number 1 above). The second Action is pulling the trigger. (the second action makes it go bang)
I get it now. It all seems kinda pointless. Not as bad as CA's UOC (unloaded open carry) law. If you have a permit you can OC with one in the pipe though right?

Does UT honor CO's permit? If so could I OC with one in the pipe on my CO permit? Would like to know because I have relatives in the Ogden area that I plan on visiting.
Smileak
(02-01-2011, 07:03 PM)Cake Wrote: I get it now. It all seems kinda pointless. Not as bad as CA's UOC (unloaded open carry) law. If you have a permit you can OC with one in the pipe though right?

Does UT honor CO's permit? If so could I OC with one in the pipe on my CO permit? Would like to know because I have relatives in the Ogden area that I plan on visiting.
Yes, you can OC or CC with one in the pipe "with a permit" and you should be good to go with your CO permit. you should not have to worry about any specific city laws (like with the Denver ban on OC) because Gun laws are all the same throughout the state.

Here is a handy Tri-fold pamphlet for Utah Gun Laws
http://freeutah.org/docs/UtahGunLaw2009v4.pdf

Also of note. There is currently a bill in the UT legislature for Constitutional Carry which would take care of the unloaded without a permit issue.
BUMP for all the new members that have signed up and may not have seen it yet and also because it's been updated. My OP has the latest updated version....feel free to download, copy, print, and share!
One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.
[Image: devils_playground_bike_zps6bc268ff-1_zps3ddf11e0.jpg]
(01-19-2013, 05:25 PM)PikesPeakMtnMan Wrote: BUMP for all the new members that have signed up and may not have seen it yet and also because it's been updated. My OP has the latest updated version....feel free to download, copy, print, and share!

Awesome! Thanks for bumping this!
"Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
PikesPeakMtnMan

Good looking pamphlet. Thanks for putting it together and getting it on-line. I just printed out a bunch to pass out when talking to other "gun people". We have a gun show here in COS this weekend, I think I'll take some down there to a friend's booth.

/r Martin
It's a great pamphlet, but it could use some minor updating. The reciprocal CHP list now includes WV. Also, it ought to mention the new laws passed last year, such as the 15-rd mag limit.
I have a question, hope this is the right place. The pamphlet says carrying concealed w/o a [valid] permit is a class 2 misdemeanor. I have permits from 3 states including Minnesota where I live. When visiting my folks in Longmont there is no legal way to conceal (CO doesn't issue non-resident permits) and Minnesota doesn't recognize CO. Odds are I wouldn't have police contact except the rare speeding ticket (in the car carry). Does anyone know what the penalty is for a 2nd degree misdemeanor? Assuming I couldn't convince the judge maybe my 3 permits are good enough.
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
-Pink Floyd...or was it Benjamin Franklin?
You didn't say this, but reading between the lines you probably know it. But just in case you don't (and because others reading this might not know) your permits from the other two states won't work here either, no matter where they are from, because they are non-resident permits.

I don't know what the penalty is. But even if it's light there is one other thing for you to consider. Check with your other states to ensure they won't yank your permits because of a misdemeanor conviction.

Your other option (since you are not going into the actual City and County of Denver) is to carry openly, no permit required.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Good point on the yanking permits. I don't like open carry (because of the tactical, PR and MWAG reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum all over the Internet.). I will probably just car and house carry until such time as Colorado law, Minnesota reciprocity or federal reciprocity changes.
Thanks for the reply.
Did you exchange
Oh, and great cartridge. It gets er done.
Did you exchange
Unless Longmont has changed a lot since the last things I heard about it, there shouldn't be too much hostility to OC (in fact most people don't even notice). You can assess that once here. The PR issues are in large part overblown deliberately by the enemy, but I do concede some idiots have given them some help. (Leaving it in the holster and keeping mitts off will avoid 99 percent of the Moms Demand Action BS.)

Boulder, on the other hand, you could get MWAGed, but I think cops have become aware that OC is hands off unless they are doing something else. And for all I know Longmont is full of Boulderite transplants by now.

The tl;dr of it is, I doubt there'd be any issue with the general public or the police there, but you get a much more recent feel for the place once you're there.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun