Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.308 battle rifle, which one?
I think I 'need' another battle rifle in .308. I just can't decide what I want.
I have a Cetme, which works just fine, and a nice tactical bolt gun.
I've had a Fal, not a big fan. I had a Socom II, it was fine, and I still kinda miss it, but I like pistol grips.
Thinking about an AR based .308, but I don't know much about them.
Magpul makes .308 mags, but do they fit any AR-308? Or just certain makes?
Also considering a converted Saiga, but then the mag issue comes up again.
What do you guys think? What do you have?
Thanks in advance for your input.

I guess I should add that I like to have at least 10 mags for each of my long guns, and they need to work. Any one have info on 20rd Saiga mags that are reliable, and don't cost as much as the gun itself?

I know where I can get a good deal on a Saiga, and I can convert it to "normal' AK configuration.
I have a DPMS Panther LR .308 that I absolutely love. Every time I take friends out shooting, that is the one they all want to shoot first. 24 inch stainless bull barrel is very accurate. If I remember right, it was about a grand without the scope. 19 +1 capacity.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy
To the best of my knowledge the Magpul 308 magazines fit the DPMS style lowers. Rock River LAR-8 uses inch or metric FAL magazines and RR offers a plastic magazine too.
I found a Bushmaster mid length carbine, with Magpul furniture, N.I.B., for $1100. Think I'm going to try to trade my DPMS 6.8 for it.
If you have a lot of $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, the LMT MWS is a phenomenal platform. As is the SCAR, and my personal favorite, the LWRC REPR. Outside of that, a lot of the major AR guys are putting out good AR10s - DPMS, Armalite, ect. I have been playing with a CMMG 308 at work and have been pretty impressed with it for the $1200 price tag.
Did you find one yet?
Not yet, no bites on my 6.8, and don't want the Bushmaster bad enough to make that upsidedown of a trade.
(10-17-2011, 01:30 PM)Springfielder Wrote: I have a DPMS Panther LR .308 that I absolutely love. Every time I take friends out shooting, that is the one they all want to shoot first. 24 inch stainless bull barrel is very accurate. If I remember right, it was about a grand without the scope. 19 +1 capacity.

Hmm. . . it has a charging handle, but no forward assist. What do you do when the bolt doesn't return all the way home?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
-Samuel Adams
(12-14-2011, 09:55 PM)Teufelhund Wrote:
(10-17-2011, 01:30 PM)Springfielder Wrote: I have a DPMS Panther LR .308 that I absolutely love. Every time I take friends out shooting, that is the one they all want to shoot first. 24 inch stainless bull barrel is very accurate. If I remember right, it was about a grand without the scope. 19 +1 capacity.

Hmm. . . it has a charging handle, but no forward assist. What do you do when the bolt doesn't return all the way home?

Dunno
Yell and cuss allot?

LMAO

There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
(12-14-2011, 09:55 PM)Teufelhund Wrote:

When you charge it with the mag in and release the charging handle slowly, the charging handle goes limp and you have to push it in. You then push the paddle in front of the safety and it slams the bolt home.
If you pull the charging handle and release it quickly, the bolt slams home.
Using either method, I have yet to have this rifle fail to load and fire. Never had a need for a forward assist with this rifle and I've probably put well over 2000 rounds through it flawlessly.
Great question though!! Check one of these out, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about instantly.
Strong springs? Heavy bolt? Combination? Don't know, but it is one great rifle.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy
I fondled one of those DPMS Panthers at Green Mountain Guns a couple weeks ago. It does have a monstrous tension on the charging handle, and this one wasn't new, it was on consignment. It felt like a really solid weapon, great fit and finish. Without shooting it, the one thing I can say I did not like about it was how heavy it was. I would hate to have to hump very far with a full pack and one of those bad-boys slung over my shoulder.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
-Samuel Adams
I had to cash out my 6.8 to pay for truck repairs, so I'm kinda screwed for a while. When I can afford it, I think I'm going to go with the Bushmaster carbine. Unless I can trade Dad out of the Cetme I got him a few years back...
(12-23-2011, 01:48 AM)Teufelhund Wrote: I fondled one of those DPMS Panthers at Green Mountain Guns a couple weeks ago. It does have a monstrous tension on the charging handle, and this one wasn't new, it was on consignment. It felt like a really solid weapon, great fit and finish. Without shooting it, the one thing I can say I did not like about it was how heavy it was. I would hate to have to hump very far with a full pack and one of those bad-boys slung over my shoulder.

Yeah, it weighs just over 11 pounds. I don't think I'd want to hump it any distance either. But as a range or a stand rifle, it is very cool. Nice thing is that the semi-auto action is very fast for follow up shots and the action eats up a lot of the recoil. I can shoot mag after mag through it and it doesn't bother me.
I really like mine and everyone I let shoot it comes up smiling. Just about all the people who have shot mine intend on adding one to their collection.
Good luck finding what is best for you!!
John F. Kennedy
IME if you are talking about 308s other than 5 round capacity bolt actioned hunting rifles, you are discussing a relatively heavy firearm.

The AR15 or AR10 rifles are a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but those that do, really like it.

If you like that sort of rifle, then you would be remiss to worry about weight. You can always work out at the gym if weight is an issue, and mitigate against that sort of fatigue. You might consider a 243 or some one of the 6.5mm calibers as a weight saving measure, with the added benefit of ammunition availability and versatility, even in this present market. If you handload, your cartridges can be loaded a little less expensively than those using quality 308 bullets. Plus either the 6mm or 6.5mm bullets will fly flatter, farther, with less wind sensitivity.
M1 Garand in .308 from the CMP?

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Bought a DPMS .308 last week, still waiting for the background check to clear. Have a question. On AR's of any type what is the big deal about charging handles such as BCM? If that is the proper name for that brand. Metal compared to plastic? Thanks.
Got a wife and kids in Baltimore jack, i went out for a ride and never went back. BS

what's the effective range of accuracy of an AR-10/.308 rifle? how comparable is it to that of a bolt action long rifle?

saw a gentleman shooting one at the range the other week and that bad boy was LOUD!
308 is Good out to 1300 with no wind. A well made Ar 10 is a great rifle and will be more capable then most people can shoot at long range. A bolt will be a more acculturate rifle most of the time in capable hands. Semi auto in a long range setup defiantly has its advantages for quick follow up shots. I have a 18 in cmmg ar 10 with a suppressor and it a blast to shoot without ears. Follow up shots are easy with the light recoil and little noise.

If I was going battle rifle in 308 scar 17 is the one I would choose. However I did not like the weight of the 308 for a go to gun. I chose a 8 inch 300 blackout ar 15 as my go to gun. Suppressed its quiet and shorter then a 16 inch ar 15. Still holds 30 rds standard, uses all the same parts as ar 15 but the barrel. it shoots 125 grain bullets at 2400 fps and 220 grain subsonic for indoor close quarters. Best of both worlds for a combat gun.
NRA instructor
$50 concealed carry classes
http://www.cogunowners.com/showthread.php?tid=1704 Click for information
(02-09-2013, 01:11 PM)kj4963 Wrote: Bought a DPMS .308 last week, still waiting for the background check to clear. Have a question. On AR's of any type what is the big deal about charging handles such as BCM? If that is the proper name for that brand. Metal compared to plastic? Thanks.

Plastic I have not heard of. Most charging handles aftermarket do one of two things. They add a way to pull back the charging Handel easier by adding a extended lever on one or both sides. This makes it easy to charge ir chamber a round with a scope on the rifle or wearing gloves. The other thing they might offer is a slick coating like nickel boron or similar to aid in lubrication.
NRA instructor
$50 concealed carry classes
http://www.cogunowners.com/showthread.php?tid=1704 Click for information
(02-26-2013, 09:41 AM)Poisonspyder Wrote: 308 is Good out to 1300 with no wind. A well made Ar 10 is a great rifle and will be more capable then most people can shoot at long range. A bolt will be a more acculturate rifle most of the time in capable hands. Semi auto in a long range setup defiantly has its advantages for quick follow up shots. I have a 18 in cmmg ar 10 with a suppressor and it a blast to shoot without ears. Follow up shots are easy with the light recoil and little noise.

1300 yards?