Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
expensive blades?
Does anyone here own one of those $1k-$3k knives? I know it's none of my business, but I just was wondering what is the reason of buying them (besides "i just couldn't live without it" and "because I can"). I mean I can understand expensive guns - more accurate, longer distance, etc., but knives??
"The more you know - the less you need."
What brand and what are the "selling points." I know that people spend $200 - $600 (mission & chris reeves). Not familiar with 1,000 or 3,000. I think id take my spartan blade against any other knife any day. what do you carry?
(09-30-2011, 05:22 AM)Dr_Fwd Wrote: Does anyone here own one of those $1k-$3k knives? I know it's none of my business, but I just was wondering what is the reason of buying them (besides "i just couldn't live without it" and "because I can"). I mean I can understand expensive guns - more accurate, longer distance, etc., but knives??

MOD Armory
www.modarmory.com
2834 Janitell Rd.
Colorado Springs CO 80906
I don't think I've ever payed more than $40 for knife. I don't understand it either. If I had the money I might pay up to 3 or 4 hundred but only if the knife was usable.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(09-30-2011, 07:53 PM)Beau Wrote: I don't think I've ever payed more than $40 for knife. I don't understand it either. If I had the money I might pay up to 3 or 4 hundred but only if the knife was usable.

Sounds like me. I don't see spending a lot of money on a knife that I won't want to use when I can get one that works for me for less. I think the most I've spent on one was about $50.
Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
(09-30-2011, 03:46 PM)modarmory Wrote: What brand and what are the "selling points." I know that people spend $200 - $600 (mission & chris reeves). Not familiar with 1,000 or 3,000. I think id take my spartan blade against any other knife any day. what do you carry?
(09-30-2011, 05:22 AM)Dr_Fwd Wrote: Does anyone here own one of those $1k-$3k knives? I know it's none of my business, but I just was wondering what is the reason of buying them (besides "i just couldn't live without it" and "because I can"). I mean I can understand expensive guns - more accurate, longer distance, etc., but knives??

Here is one example https://steeladdictionknives.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6308&osCsid=3fa0ee05715de4e7983db9f6bad97d10
My EDC knives are $80-$150 knives top. Currently I carry Sog Flash II.
"The more you know - the less you need."
Did I really spell paid as payed? Where's my sign?
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

I Carry Benchmade and ONLY Benchmade

I Have a Griptillian, the wife has one and I Also have a Combat folder
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
I have one that was made for my father by a custom knife maker. Its a combat/survival knife including sheath with a surv kit. We stabbed a few car doors. We didnt pay for it, it was a gift.
Phoenix Firearms Training
Owner/CEO
phoenixfirearms@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/phoenixfirearms
3o3-72o-1814
oh geese on the "steel addiction knife".
One thing i noticed is the blade is fully titanium versus a coating - which could explain the $$
Also the handle is "pearl".
Then the custom detail.
To me this knife seems to be "pretty" and for people with nothing better to spend their money on. I would never,ever,never,ever take that knife and expect to be able to defend myself or survive out in the wild.
For a real knife.. spartan blades. Straight BA.
MOD Armory
www.modarmory.com
2834 Janitell Rd.
Colorado Springs CO 80906
A good quality heat treatment is more important than the steel,provided you are using at least a standard quality tool steel with .8% carbon or higher,IMHO.