Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carrying at work (federal?)
So an update to the Colorado "Make My Day" law (castle doctrine) states that one can carry concealed in the work place granted one has a CCW, right? In other words, an employer can't tell you that you can't carry.

I work for a very large private business that manages shuttle launches and whatnot. Parts of the building are monitored by the DoD, but it's still a private business. Federal law prohibits me from carrying on government property, but this is technically NOT government property seeing as it's a private business. The federal government is just a patron of this business for launch purposes.

My question is: Can I carry at work or is there some provision that states that I can't carry due to the nature of the business (government)?

Any info would be appreciated. Especially with citations to law.

Thanks!
Doo you have a statute for reference? I am not aware of any law that would allow an employee to carry in an employers business against their wishes. As far as I know they can even been firearms from cars on company property.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(09-19-2011, 06:48 PM)Beau Wrote: Doo you have a statute for reference? I am not aware of any law that would allow an employee to carry in an employers business against their wishes. As far as I know they can even been firearms from cars on company property.

No, I just heard from several people that a private business cannot bar employees from the carry of arms so long as they have a CCW due to H.R. 1066.
(09-19-2011, 06:48 PM)Beau Wrote: Doo you have a statute for reference? I am not aware of any law that would allow an employee to carry in an employers business against their wishes. As far as I know they can even been firearms from cars on company property.

There was a bill that was passed at mid-term that extended the Castle Doctrine to one's place of employment. I will have to see if I can find some sort of website to refer to when I get to a PC.
I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.
I obviously want to double check as to not get fired if I had to use it or get slapped with a felony if I'm misinterpreting something.
Can't open on phone.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

I don't know that I would test those waters without first consulting an attorney for clarification. I did not see any wording within the bill you posted a link to that states you can carry against your employers wishes, just that it is legal to use deadly force when justified in your place of business without being able to be charged with a crime, or being held accountable in a civil case.
Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.