Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats your gal shoot
SP 101 in .357 mag. Usually loaded with .38 special. She doesn't like semi-autos for the same issue listed above. Trouble racking the slide. She also doesn't like the brass ejecting past her, but I think she is getting more comfortable with it now.
Looking for a good first gun for my girl. She's shot a few times, but we haven't found anything that she likes yet. My .45 was a bit too much, scared the bejeezus out of her the first time she fired it, but she did come back and fire a full mag (I think just to prove that she could).

I'm leaning toward a revolver for her, maybe a .38, but we need to go shoot some to get her comfortable with it. Once we land on something she likes, I'm going to get us both in a class that will teach her a little better than I can, as well as qualify us both for a CCW.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
-Samuel Adams
Ruger SP101 357/38. But was sad because all the other girls had semi-autos.
Now she has a SR9C in 9mm. Has shot it once and will have her take it to the CCW NRA Pistol course at BluCore sometime soon.

She's not thrilled about the hot brass down the shirt, so I'm not sure how the 9mm will work out for her. SR9C also has a strong slide spring, even I have trouble getting it pulled back.

Daughter likes her Pink Cricket .22 and the Walther P22 or just about anything else. She's 11 and I'll send her and mom to Ladies night at BluCore soon.

(12-31-2011, 03:43 PM)gnihcraes Wrote: She's not thrilled about the hot brass down the shirt, so I'm not sure how the 9mm will work out for her.
Leave the vanity behind and always shoot in a T shirt top with a normal neck (and no shirt over it) -- no V necks, etc. A baseball hat keeps the brass from getting behind the glasses, too. When I'm teaching or coaching I make those two items an absolute requirement.

O2
(12-31-2011, 06:44 PM)O2HeN2 Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 03:43 PM)gnihcraes Wrote: She's not thrilled about the hot brass down the shirt, so I'm not sure how the 9mm will work out for her.
Leave the vanity behind and always shoot in a T shirt top with a normal neck (and no shirt over it) -- no V necks, etc. A baseball hat keeps the brass from getting behind the glasses, too. When I'm teaching or coaching I make those two items an absolute requirement.

O2

^This

regular Shirt, Glasses, Ballcap, Ears.
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
(12-31-2011, 03:43 PM)gnihcraes Wrote: Ruger SP101 357/38. But was sad because all the other girls had semi-autos.
Now she has a SR9C in 9mm. Has shot it once and will have her take it to the CCW NRA Pistol course at BluCore sometime soon.

She's not thrilled about the hot brass down the shirt, so I'm not sure how the 9mm will work out for her. SR9C also has a strong slide spring, even I have trouble getting it pulled back.

Daughter likes her Pink Cricket .22 and the Walther P22 or just about anything else. She's 11 and I'll send her and mom to Ladies night at BluCore soon.

due to the "We will draw down on you" stance at blucor
may I recommend someone much more friendly?
http://www.rwfirearmstraining.com/Site/Home.html
Wife and I both train there.
It is an outdoor range, but it is much more than sitting and reading a book.
you will fire your weapon and so many more.
Autos, revolvers, SA and DA in a variety of calibers

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler
well, I'm already hooked for blucore because of the gift card issue for the wife. We'll see how it goes. I talked to blucore about their CCW in store and was told ok, just don't try to take it out of the holster or case.

I appreciate the recommendation of the CCW training at RW. I'll send the wife to blucore with the 9mm, 357 and she can just shoot as she feels.

yes, the wife will have to choose different clothing. Funny thing though, the SR9C was ejecting just right to hit the wall and bounce into her neck. It was only that gun, as my Sig did not cause her that problem.

(12-31-2011, 08:46 PM)Byte Stryke Wrote: regular Shirt, Glasses, Ballcap, Ears.
I take wearing 'muffs for granted so much that I didn't even mention it, thanks! Double hearing protection, especially indoors -- both foam earplugs and muffs.

And if you suspect a flinch, immediately back off to a 22 and/or do some ball and dummy practice -- the latter is great because the shooter can see their own mistakes.

O2
I just bought another set of electronic ears, love using them. It increases my hearing because I have loss in left ear and I can talk/listen to the other people I'm with for safety and assistance.

My wife will shoot about anything I shoot,my 16 yo daughter shot a center fire rifle for the first time a few weeks ago, a 270 and got a magnum eyebrow on her first shot, due to dad not telling her to keep a safe distance from the scope and she still shot a sub 3 inch group at 100 yds.
My wife has a S&W M&P 9mm compact that she uses for both conceal carry and home defense.
I've been trying to get my mother to at least car carry for years. She bought a HighPoint in .380 but has only shot it once. She works long hours and sometimes has to stop to sleep for a bit on the drive home. Drives me nuts. Anyway, the other day she tells me that the other she wished she would have had her pistol with her because she had a bad feeling when she stopped. I keep telling her that she needs to carry it. Her excuse is that she doesn't feel comfortable in her ability to carry it. I've worked with her a little bit but other life stuff seems to always take place of training. Gonna talk to her and make it a point to practice next weekend.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(01-29-2012, 01:55 PM)Fracker Wrote: I've been trying to get my mother to at least car carry for years. She bought a HighPoint in .380 but has only shot it once. She works long hours and sometimes has to stop to sleep for a bit on the drive home. Drives me nuts. Anyway, the other day she tells me that the other she wished she would have had her pistol with her because she had a bad feeling when she stopped. I keep telling her that she needs to carry it. Her excuse is that she doesn't feel comfortable in her ability to carry it. I've worked with her a little bit but other life stuff seems to always take place of training. Gonna talk to her and make it a point to practice next weekend.

If she lives in Colorado she can keep it in the car without getting a CCW.
[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]
Yes I know. The problem is she doesn't feel comfortable carrying. She is not confident in her ability to use it effectively.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

train train train train

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

-Adolf Hitler
(01-30-2012, 05:06 PM)Fracker Wrote: Yes I know. The problem is she doesn't feel comfortable carrying. She is not confident in her ability to use it effectively.

I commend her on not carrying if she doesn't feel that she will be able to use the firearm effectively. None of us want to hear of an innocent person being injured or killed by a stray round meant for someone else. However, I would agree that she needs to get out and train with it so that she can increase both her ability and confidence in that ability, hopefully getting her to the point where she feels comfortable carrying. Nobody here wants to hear that something happened to her and she wasn't able to defend herself effectively.
Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
My Wife, who did not drive until she was 33, Hates to drive because she is lousy at parking.
I do not let that stop her, I force her to practice.

Take your wife to the range with you
Sign yourselves up for a USPSA match just for fun.

She wont get any better by being afraid of...
only by taking control of.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

-Adolf Hitler
My wife use to shoot her glock 19 and has an xdm-9 which she never has shot. So I shoot them, and at least try to get her to shoot my gunwink
Got a wife and kids in Baltimore jack, i went out for a ride and never went back. BS

This is a good friend of ours. She was shooting my mini 14.

My wife shoots a 9mm Keltek PF9 and an SKS.
My wife loves her model 37 in 20 gauge, but wouldn't hesitate to jump behind my 12gauge.
For her the AR was a game changer "you need to get one of these" she said after shooting my fathers several years ago. I rolled my eyes because I was holding a Saiga .223. but who am I to stand in the way of her happiness. she's knows her way around a glock 17 too, prefers it over the 1911. like anyone she enjoys .22, but it's warm up stuff for her.

first post woot!