Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming to Colorado with SMG
OK, I'll start with a question. What is required to bring an auto into Colorado? I have the treasury papers on it and it's legal, but I don't know the Col state laws. I'll be traveling from Texas. All guidance much appreciated!
Do you have the necessary NFA paperwork? I'm not aware of any laws that bar you from owning an auto, unless it was manufactured after 1986. Your best bet would be to contact the BATFE and ask them.
(02-28-2010, 01:26 AM)lawrra Wrote:  Do you have the necessary NFA paperwork? I'm not aware of any laws that bar you from owning an auto, unless it was manufactured after 1986. Your best bet would be to contact the BATFE and ask them.
You got me there: what is NFA? I have the Dept of Treasury papers on it through the BATF. I have owned it since '81.
The NFA is a terrible set of rules and regulations imposed on the freed peoples of the United States:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

If you are in current possession of Class III items that are not legally prohibited in the state of California and you have your tax stamp paperwork (and copies!), call the ATF and inform them that you are moving. There should be no additional tax stamp fee to pay but I'm not sure what kind of paperwork you might have to follow with your Class III items. I would call the ATF Monday and ask them what you should do.

I've read on a few other boards that if you are moving, you should completely avoid all states that have prohibitions on class III items (IL, MO, etc.). To prevent extra miles and to save time and money, it might be cheaper to ship them to a class III dealer to the area you are moving.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd gladly receive the salary of one! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”
(02-28-2010, 05:32 AM)John B Wrote:  You got me there: what is NFA? I have the Dept of Treasury papers on it through the BATF. I have owned it since '81.

You should be good to go. Don't lose those papers! I agree with Red that you should call the BATF and ask them what needs to be done before or after you move.
Good advice. Thanks