Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious about flashlights.
Most of the new handguns and tactical rifles I see have 1913/picatinny rails on them for the purpose of mounting flashlights and/or lasers. My question is wouldn't it be better to carry a seperate flashlight so you can illuminate a subject and identify it before you point a gun at it. I was always told not to point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
I'm not saying flashlights on guns are a bad thing. I'm just wondering what the current opinions are regarding tactics. Do you carry two flashlights? Any input would be 'illuminating'.
take this for what it's worth:

my grandma was a cop near detroit for many years. always told us that when you are looking (through windows, around places) you always hold the flashlight at arms length, and not right next to your face. many non-thinking people will hold the f-light right next to their face, and she told us some BG's would shoot next to the light.

also, the don't-point-your-gun-at-something-you're-not-willing-to-destroy thing is a great reason to not attach a light.

(07-13-2011, 01:18 PM)widowman10 Wrote: take this for what it's worth:

my grandma was a cop near detroit for many years. always told us that when you are looking (through windows, around places) you always hold the flashlight at arms length, and not right next to your face. many non-thinking people will hold the f-light right next to their face, and she told us some BG's would shoot next to the light.

also, the don't-point-your-gun-at-something-you're-not-willing-to-destroy thing is a great reason to not attach a light.

I have to agree with advice to hold a flashlight away from your body and not next to your face...my brother went through some LEO training and that's what he was taught as well.
One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.
[Image: devils_playground_bike_zps6bc268ff-1_zps3ddf11e0.jpg]
I read a textbook on police tactics years ago and it told a story about a security guard chasing a burglar. The security guard put his flashlight in his mouth in order to climb through a window. The bad guy shot at the light and the bullet went through the batteries and out the back of his head. Another reason to maybe shine the light briefly then move.
This is a newsletter I write: part of it pertains to the subject:

Bump in the night.
Its 3:57AM and you hear proverbial Thump in the night, What weapon do you grab Shotgun,rifle,pistol? Seems like a simple question bigger is better right? Not so if you live near anyone else or have a family.
These are penetration tests in a home defense situation.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot2.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

FlashLights
Now that you've chosen your weapon do you go and shoot at the dark moving figure on the porch? What if it was a police officer, family member etc.
Lets talk about flashlights we've all see the movie stars and weapon mounted flashlights cool idea and its great to see everything you point your gun at right? Its a two way street if you use a flash light at night YOU MAY NOT SEE THEM BUT THEY CAN SEE YOU. This is why the FBI developed a technique of holding the flash light extended out at various heights away from center mass and NOT leaving the flashlight on but instead using interment flashes.

I personally do have a rail mounted light but I always carry a flashlight as well "whats rule number 2 of gun safety?" I'll send you some more advanced flashlight techniques later on.

lasers
There are two reasons to use a laser in my humble opinion. One is for point shooting training "IE they are close enough that you point center mass and pull the trigger with no sight picture"
The other reason is the same reason our military uses them in low light conditions. They use IR beams to point out areas for air support as well as to avoid friendly fire. Also when wearing Night vision devices you see in a two dimensional picture so it helps with aiming.

Holster
If you have a pistol you should have a few things including extra magazines "Not clips, clips are what the m-1 used" and a good holster. Everyone is different so we will talk about the necessary specifications of a holster.

1.Completely covers the trigger guard.
2. Allows for a quick efficient draw.
3. Retains enough tension upon the firearm to prevent it from falling out when participating in a struggle or physical activity.

As far as OWB "Outside Waist Band or IWB "Inside Waist Band" goes it all depends on your clothing. I personally own a few of each. Currently my IWB is a blade tech phantomhttp://www.blade-tech.com/home.php
Phoenix Firearms Training
Owner/CEO
phoenixfirearms@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/phoenixfirearms
3o3-72o-1814
A little off the subject of this thread but a 'clip' feeds a magazine and a magazine feeds the gun. The words clip and magazine are not interchangable. Thank you for pointing out the difference.
I see nothing wrong with mounting a light on a defensive weapon. The whole point is to illuminate your target so you don't miss. It's not used to find your car keys our see in the dark when the power goes out or when you're walking the dog. So you shouldn't be pointing at anything you don't intend to shoot.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(07-15-2011, 04:03 PM)Beau Wrote: I see nothing wrong with mounting a light on a defensive weapon. The whole point is to illuminate your target so you don't miss. It's not used to find your car keys our see in the dark when the power goes out or when you're walking the dog. So you shouldn't be pointing at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Exactly but usage as well as never pointing your gun at anything you are willing to kill or pay for means never. As well as practicing safe techniques "IE dont give the bad guy a target to shoot at".

I use a rail mounted light but as I said It is not the only light I carry.
Phoenix Firearms Training
Owner/CEO
phoenixfirearms@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/phoenixfirearms
3o3-72o-1814