Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do you shoot?
And how often? I know most of us do not get to shoot as often as we like. I am averaging every other week. I really would like to go once a week, but this is a very busy time of year for me.

I go to Great Guns Shooting range in Nunn at least once a month. It is a great facility. I just punch paper, but they have an amazing skeet and sporting clay set up. I really need to give it a try sometime. Their fees

Also once a month I go to the Pawnee Grasslands. I have a spot thats usually out of the wind and I can put targets out to just over 400 yds.

If the weather is bad I will go to Rocky Mountain Shooter Supply to shoot indoors.

My father-in-law also has a pistol range on his property that I go to once in a while. It is the closest and its free. All I have to do is visit with my in laws..... Wallbash

Pretty much the only time I shoot anymore is when I go to a match. A range membership wouldn't benefit me at the moment. I'm not supposed to shoot where I live because there is a county ordinance against shooting if you have less than 10 acres. People plink out here but any serious shooting would probably get the sheriff called.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(07-06-2011, 07:57 PM)Beau Wrote: Pretty much the only time I shoot anymore is when I go to a match. A range membership wouldn't benefit me at the moment. I'm not supposed to shoot where I live because there is a county ordinance against shooting if you have less than 10 acres. People plink out here but any serious shooting would probably get the sheriff called.

Do you shoot IDPA?

I am not a member of either range. They are both open to the public and have reasonable fees. My schedule is way to chaotic to commit to one.

Have not shot IDPA yet. I mainly shoot USPSA, Steel, and GSSF.
When in doubt. JFC.

(07-06-2011, 08:57 PM)Beau Wrote: Have not shot IDPA yet. I mainly shoot USPSA, Steel, and GSSF.

I know nothing about competitive shooting. So its all greek to me. lol I am very intrigued by it. I honestly didnt even know we had it here in CO until about 6 months ago. I just watched your videos from your April match. How does one get into it? What are the major differences between IDPA, USPSA, Steel, GSSF, ETC.? Ary any more "begginer" friendly?

IDPA is more about drawing from concealment, shooting from cover, shooting targets in a particular order (for defensive purposes I think), uspsa is more run and gun. You're going for accuracy plus speed. Steel is just that. Different stages of various sizes of steel. Stand in one place and shoot steel as fast as you can. GSSF is Glock Sports Shooting Foundation. You have to be a GSSF member to shoot their matches. There are only 1-3 matches per state per year. It is Stationary shooting. Kinda expensive for what it is but you can win Glocks.
When in doubt. JFC.

I shoot at the Golden Gun Club. I'd like to go out to the Pawnee area to practice at night. There's no night shooting allowed at GGC.
Center mass :)
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
Whistling pines twice a week on average.
(11-06-2011, 11:43 PM)Anthonyzarco Wrote: Whistling pines twice a week on average.

That place looks NICE
(10-19-2011, 05:16 PM)Byte Stryke Wrote: Center mass :)

Everyone knows head shots are the way to go.
When in doubt. JFC.

(11-08-2011, 12:19 AM)Beau Wrote:
(10-19-2011, 05:16 PM)Byte Stryke Wrote: Center mass :)

Everyone knows head shots are the way to go.

Two to the chest, one to the head. Gotta make sure they are dead!
the viable critical area of a headshot is less than 4 sq in from the front.

so you stick with that... I am aiming for the chest cavity... ~50 sq in...

:)
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
Any suggestions for a pistol range close to Aurora? I went to the Firing Line only to find they don't allow you to shoot unless you have a buddy with you (they have a fantastic selection of new/used though). I tried the Shootist Pistol Range in Englewood yesterday, but their profoundly lackadaisical attitude toward safety helped me decide quickly that I will not go back.

I think I'll try to talk the wife into letting me buy one of these cheap 40-acre horse properties in Summit County, and build my own damn range :)

You're right, that 4" sq target is a lot smaller than a chest cavity, but I think if you're always shooting (and mostly hitting) that little target, the bigger targets are harder to miss. "Aim small, miss small." Good movie, sound advice.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
-Samuel Adams
(12-11-2011, 12:03 PM)Teufelhund Wrote: Any suggestions for a pistol range close to Aurora? I went to the Firing Line only to find they don't allow you to shoot unless you have a buddy with you (they have a fantastic selection of new/used though). I tried the Shootist Pistol Range in Englewood yesterday, but their profoundly lackadaisical attitude toward safety helped me decide quickly that I will not go back.

I think I'll try to talk the wife into letting me buy one of these cheap 40-acre horse properties in Summit County, and build my own damn range :)

You're right, that 4" sq target is a lot smaller than a chest cavity, but I think if you're always shooting (and mostly hitting) that little target, the bigger targets are harder to miss. "Aim small, miss small." Good movie, sound advice.

what is your definition of "close?"

might might try blucore in lakewood. http://blucoreshootingcenter.com/

or if you want outdoor, there's the cherry creek shooting center at cherry creek state park. or, join a range such as the Golden Gun Club, which may have some slots open in March.
My definition of "close" is: I'll drive an hour once a week to go to a range I like, but I'd rather not if there is one closer.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check those out.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
-Samuel Adams
(12-11-2011, 12:03 PM)Teufelhund Wrote: Any suggestions for a pistol range close to Aurora? I went to the Firing Line only to find they don't allow you to shoot unless you have a buddy with you (they have a fantastic selection of new/used though). I tried the Shootist Pistol Range in Englewood yesterday, but their profoundly lackadaisical attitude toward safety helped me decide quickly that I will not go back.

When did Firing line change their rules? It's been about 2 months since I was there but have been going on and off for 4 years and never heard about the rule shooting with a friend. If that's true that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. They will loose a lot of business including mine. Just hope Centennial gun club opens soon. Can someone else verify this? I was actually planning on going tom.
(12-11-2011, 04:34 PM)weaponize Wrote:

When did Firing line change their rules? It's been about 2 months since I was there but have been going on and off for 4 years and never heard about the rule shooting with a friend. If that's true that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. They will loose a lot of business including mine. Just hope Centennial gun club opens soon. Can someone else verify this? I was actually planning on going tom.

I'm guessing they instituted that rule to avoid the incidents of people going in and committing suicide. I haven't heard of it happening there, but there have been cases around the country. Most places only institute it for the rental of firearms - I guss they think if you have your own firearm you can carry out the act anywhere.
Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Thanks so much for recommending the Blucore range. I drove over there this afternoon and I just can't say enough good things about it. The store is clean and well organized, they have a great selection of handguns and a number of black rifles as well. They have a little bit of tactical gear on hand; I talked with the GM for a while, really nice guy btw, he said they're working on building up their stock as they work out what is popular, etc., as they haven't been open for too long. They said they just got their class III approved, so they'll be handling NFA items soon.

I didn't fire the range (its indoor), but I did take a look at it. It is mostly pistol, but they also have 5 rifle lanes. Very clean with good ventilation and run in a professional manner. As a side note, everyone that works in this place, including the owners, is former or current military. So if you want to just go in and "talk shop" they are very receptive and friendly (be courteous and try not to take them away from customers that need help though).

Even though its on the other side of town, I will definitely be going back to this store/range. As a matter of fact, they're checking the price to order the M&P 45 I want. The prices on the guns they had in stock seemed very reasonable to me, so I'll probably have them order the M&P for me when they call back.

I recommend checking out this range if you haven't before.
-Samuel Adams
Blucore shooting center looks like a nice place, but it looks like you pay by the hour. It would probably take me near that to get there. May give it a try though. Usually go to the shootist, but they could use better lighting.
Got a wife and kids in Baltimore jack, i went out for a ride and never went back. BS