Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
So who is a Glock guy?
(08-11-2011, 10:04 AM)whiskeyjack Wrote:
(08-11-2011, 09:12 AM)Byte Stryke Wrote: uh, you know they make those in double-stack as well now, right?
I had to chime in here.
The 1911 external safety release... if it is not an integral part of your grip, you are doing it wrong.wink
It's all about personal preference. I own a single stack 1911, a 2011, an XD and I Have trained with Glocks.

For a gun that if I get it wet I need to clean that sucker and lube it for it to be 100% EVERY time it gets wet.

I have concerns of if I need it I need it to work. As I said I suffered a MAJOR MALFUNCTION at a VERY bad time with my kimber.

Now Due to certain things I need my guns to go bang with the most percentage possible. For me and 99% of your top tactical schools that is the glock.

The only 1911 I would really consider carrying everyday would be a nighthawk.

I have seen several Polys rust up if not cleaned and lubed regularly.
I have a friend that has a M&P with a stainless slide... rusted.

as far as hard fails, happens to all of them. preparedness, inspection, maintenance, training and the rest is a little luck.

There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
(08-11-2011, 10:04 AM)whiskeyjack Wrote:
(08-11-2011, 09:12 AM)Byte Stryke Wrote: uh, you know they make those in double-stack as well now, right?
I had to chime in here.
The 1911 external safety release... if it is not an integral part of your grip, you are doing it wrong.wink
It's all about personal preference. I own a single stack 1911, a 2011, an XD and I Have trained with Glocks.

For a gun that if I get it wet I need to clean that sucker and lube it for it to be 100% EVERY time it gets wet.

I have concerns of if I need it I need it to work. As I said I suffered a MAJOR MALFUNCTION at a VERY bad time with my kimber.

Now Due to certain things I need my guns to go bang with the most percentage possible. For me and 99% of your top tactical schools that is the glock.

The only 1911 I would really consider carrying everyday would be a nighthawk.
Not trying to argue, but I've heard more Kimber stories of problems than I have with any other 1911 platform. I've personally never shot one so I wouldn't know for sure, but my assumption (from the little bit of reading I've doen) is that's attributed to Kimber tightening up the tolerances on the 1911 platform compared to the original design. And when that's done you have to do a bunch of things to get them reliable. One being specific types of ammo.
My Series 80 Colt is the most reliable gun I own. ANd when I say reliable I mean 100% over the last 20 or so years that I've had it. And I've thrown alot of crazy types of ammo through it.

[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]
(08-11-2011, 09:59 AM)whiskeyjack Wrote:
(08-11-2011, 09:16 AM)Ape Wrote: I'll chime in as well. I'm not a Glock guy just because it doesn't point well for me as mentioned by others. Doesn't mean I wouldn't own one, just that I don't yet because it's not the best fir for my hand.
My 1911 points better than almost any other gun I've ever shot. But a close second would be the XD's.

I can modify the glock grip to be very much like a 1911 grip. pm me for more info.
Sounds interseting...............Are you talking about simply shaping the grip with sanding?

[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]
I've carried an XD9sc for a few years now. I think I gravitated towards the XD in the first place due to my appreciation of Springfield Armory and because I don't like the Glock grip. I don't know if it's necessarily the angle. I just don't "click" with the Glock like I do my XD.
(08-11-2011, 04:05 PM)Ape Wrote:
(08-11-2011, 09:59 AM)whiskeyjack Wrote: I can modify the glock grip to be very much like a 1911 grip. pm me for more info.
Sounds interseting...............Are you talking about simply shaping the grip with sanding?

you fill it with epoxy and sand the grip. A bit more complicated then that but thats the jist.

As to the 1911 style There are some out there that are good guns. But it is 100 year old technology. As well as we can go do sand water mud tests and you will see why I PERSONALLY prefer a glock.
Phoenix Firearms Training
Owner/CEO
phoenixfirearms@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/phoenixfirearms
3o3-72o-1814
(08-11-2011, 05:32 PM)whiskeyjack Wrote: As to the 1911 style There are some out there that are good guns. But it is 100 year old technology. As well as we can go do sand water mud tests and you will see why I PERSONALLY prefer a glock.

well for the sand water mud thing, its pretty simple. I'm not storming the beaches of Thornton anytime soon.

as for the 100 year old technology argument... it works, why knock it.
how old is the wheel again?
Internal Combustion engine?
How about the Paper Clip?

Some things endure the test of time.

:D

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler
Well I do work in austere environments often therefore Id rather one gun for everything.
Owner/CEO
3o3-72o-1814
I Figure if the Kimber can handle a weld county sandstorm... its running fine

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

-Adolf Hitler
iv been pretty lucky and can shoot the 1911, Glock and XD all pretty well but out of all the XD feels best in my hands
Yes, I'm a Glock guy. I do have to admit that the first Glock 19 I purchased in the early 90's drove me away from Glocks for several years, as I couldn't stand the grip on it, but the modifications that Glock has made throughout the years brought me back. While I have tried other firearms and liked them, I always find myself drifting back to Glocks. I am one of the people that likes the grip angle, and I'm one of the rarer ones that doesn't think they are ugly at all. Dunno I like the low bore axis vs. other polymer framed pistols, the availability of accessories, and the wide variety of models/calibers they are available in. I do own other firearms, and most likely always will, but it seems that I always end up with at least a couple Glocks in the herd.
Don't misunderstand, I think that Glock makes a fine weapon, I just do not enjoy the ergonomics of them.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

-Adolf Hitler
I am not a Glock guy, nothing against the pistol at all, just not a fan. I used to be a metal only guy, 1911s, Beretta, revolvers and so on. When I decided to get into the polymer frame pistols, I spent a lot of time shooting my friends G17 and G19. Thought I was getting used to the grip angle. Then I shot an XD and an XDm. Needless to say, I went XDm. Grip angle I was used to, and capacity. 19 rounds of 9mm, sign me up. I am approaching u1000 rounds through my XDm with zero malfunctions. Needless to say, I'll be getting a compact model to match and carry very soon.

Like I said before, Glock is a great firearm for sure, just not for me. I don't hesitate to tell people to try Glocks, quite the opposite actually. I believe everyone should finnet what they shoot the best, and go with that.
XD's are good guns and highly under-rated.
Owner/CEO
3o3-72o-1814
(08-17-2011, 07:27 AM)whiskeyjack Wrote: XD's are good guns and highly under-rated.

But Glocks are better. Stir the pot
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

i dont know about that now
Glock guy here. Very confortable via trigger pull and grip. Can't compare to much else had a few other, but just keep coming back to the glocks.
Another Glock guy from this end. The fact that I can build a really nice comp gun for a fourth of the price of a nice match grade 1911 got me.

that, and I just like 'em. :grin:
(07-08-2011, 08:42 PM)whiskeyjack Wrote: Agreed, to a certain extent. 1911 is the year the pistol was put into service. My main problem is this is the year 2011 and guns have evolved. FBI statistics state that if you are attack on the street you have a 53% chance of being attacked by 2 OR MORE PERSONS, look at the flash mobs that have happened recently. To qoute surefire "the fastest reload is the one you never have to do" "Within limitations I doubt ill be using the 100 round mag" So I train to shoot till the threat drops from personal experience it doesnt matter if you are packing a .45 or a .40 the two rounds I have personal had to use Its SHOT PLACEMENT that counts. So why only carry 6-7 rounds when you can carry 17? I'm not at all saying 1911s are bad guns but as the bow and arrow I do believe we have to evolve our weapons as technology progresses. The only reason I stress this is I had a malfunction after putting 2 rounds into a bad guy using a kimber warrior. The reason being that 1911's are quite vulnerable to dirt in their construction. Now am I saying that 1911's are terrible? No I'm saying that I do everything to increase my odds of surviving a encounter. "Including carrying a backup"

DISCLAIMER: I like 1911 pistols, especially Kimbers, and I literally sold probably a couple of thousand of them from 2000 to 2008. I've also carried Glocks on duty and own 1 now. I occasionally carry it.

I'm not gonna knock your personal preference. However, I will question a few things from this post.

What does it really matter that the 1911 was introduced in 1911? It's evolved nearly as much as any other gun. I'll also submit that, aside from the materials (polymer vs metal) there is really zero difference in the basic way a Glock functions over a 1911. Sure...trigger mechanisms are a little different but the basics are the same.

The Browning M2 came about right at the end of WWI...not much later than the 1911. It's still being used today with very little "evolving" required.

So, personally, I think that's a non-starter in an argument against 1911 pistols.

In terms of capacity... Statistics also tell us that the average gunfight involves somewhere between 2 and 6 rounds being fired depending upon whose stats you believe.

Now, I've spoken to several people who've been in gunfights and none ever complained of having too much ammunition. So I think there is something to that. However, statistically the average full-size 1911 will give you 9 rounds to start with. I really wouldn't (and haven't) felt outgunned when carrying a 1911 based simply on capacity.

I think that argument is as over-rated as the over-penetration argument.

Also, I think any gun can be quite vulnerable to dirt in the action, 1911 or not. I've used various 1911 pistols in a lot of training classes and never had any issues, even from a dirty gun. My experience is obviously different than yours.

There are also lots of other factors besides shot placement that count in stopping a bad guy...some physiological and other psychological. I'd say, again from personal observation and experience, hits count more than anything...even non-lethal.
When I got my glock my penis grew 2 inches over night. I shoot ok with it to boot
(10-12-2011, 10:26 PM)Anthonyzarco Wrote: When I got my glock my penis grew 2 inches over night. I shoot ok with it to boot

Bs

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

-Adolf Hitler