Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kid Training
Got my niece for two weeks soon. Looking for two things:

1. Kid oriented safety materials.

2. Place to go shoot that is NOT A RANGE.

I grew up shooting around the Indiana woods, just walking around and shooting. (sounds weird to describe it...) Since moving here I just can't make heads or tails of where I'm allowed to walk with a gun, shoot, and not "be hunting".

Near Franktown would be ideal, meaning Pikes National surrounding, Rampart Range area, West of 470... BLM and 4x4 only are OK. I just don't want her to have the impression that going to a range is the only way to enjoy a gun, plus I don't want her to be scared of all the people and other guns.
well, any national forest area is good. we always do that when wanting to go have a good time away from people. find some national forest and drive back in there.

as far as kid's safety material i don't know. my g-pa just started me out with all the safety stuff and basics.
First off Welcome to the forum.

How old is your niece? Most safety info for kids is geared toward 8 and under. Most of that is about not touching firearms. getting an adult if you see one etc.. If your looking for some teaching points to go over click this link http://www.amderringer.com/kidsafety.html

As a suggestion I would start her on a .22, rifle or pistol, only loading one at a time at first.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

She is 11. We're starting with airsoft. When the basics are down we're moving to bb gun and only if she does well to .22s... a goal she won't know about. She's dying to shoot my airsoft, and it's clear nobody has ever said word one to her about guns so it's an opportunity- especially since I can't control her environment, I can at least provide the tools.

So, gun safety, I'm looking for kid oriented materials not a rehash of the rules for adults... that page is unnecessarily convoluted anyway. I'm hoping for something like Barfy the Gun Safety Dog, "Even though we don't like cats, we never, ever point a gun at them." So it's not just "because uncle said so", but also engaging.

squaw pass is a pretty good place
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend.
(06-01-2011, 10:36 PM)jage Wrote: "Even though we don't like cats, we never, ever point a gun at them."

That only applies to the niece, and within city limits, right? Scratchhead
(08-16-2011, 07:00 PM)alang Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 10:36 PM)jage Wrote: "Even though we don't like cats, we never, ever point a gun at them."

That only applies to the niece, and within city limits, right? Scratchhead

Lol,I didn't know there was a limit on cats in the city.wink
When in doubt. JFC.

(08-16-2011, 09:53 PM)Beau Wrote: Lol,I didn't know there was a limit on cats in the city.wink

Nope, but they need to be taken by means other than firearms since most cities frown on discharging a firearm within city limits.
The new high powered GAMO's are great for those pesky little noise makin varmits in the city. :biggrin:
[Image: RestoreFreedom.jpg]
*IF* you are in the wrong municipality and/or catch the wrong cop...
you can still be charged with "Discharging a weapon" as it is still considered a weapon.

yes, we have come to this.
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
(08-17-2011, 07:45 PM)Byte Stryke Wrote: *IF* you are in the wrong municipality and/or catch the wrong cop...
you can still be charged with "Discharging a weapon" as it is still considered a weapon.

That's why ya gotta be all sneaky like with the Gamo and the built in suppressor. :cool:
(08-17-2011, 09:38 PM)Ape Wrote:
(08-17-2011, 07:45 PM)Byte Stryke Wrote: *IF* you are in the wrong municipality and/or catch the wrong cop...

That's why ya gotta be all sneaky like with the Gamo and the built in suppressor. :cool:

i think you underestimate my sneakiness
not at all, but I never underestimate the screaming liberal or the gestapo police state mentality of anyone.
the price of failure is too high.

Getting back to the OP.
teach the young adult like an adult. Kids are smart. Explain why for everything. never leave any mystery or questions.
My 2 year old is learning. I Always tell him How, Where, What and WHY

we are loading/reloading in our Work space, "so we can see."
we keep the weapon pointed down or at the targets, "so we dont accidentally hurt someone."
give your niece the benefit of the doubt. She is smart. If you explain, they will understand.
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
(08-18-2011, 12:31 PM)Byte Stryke Wrote: not at all, but I never underestimate the screaming liberal or the gestapo police state mentality of anyone.
the price of failure is too high.

Getting back to the OP.
teach the young adult like an adult. Kids are smart. Explain why for everything. never leave any mystery or questions.
My 2 year old is learning. I Always tell him How, Where, What and WHY

we are loading/reloading in our Work space, "so we can see."
we keep the weapon pointed down or at the targets, "so we dont accidentally hurt someone."
give your niece the benefit of the doubt. She is smart. If you explain, they will understand.

Good points byte! ThumbsUp

I started my daughter off with toy guns as soon as she could hold them.
And from that point on we always went through the proper safe handling of a gun. Be it a toy or real.
Now she's probably the safest person I go shooting with! wink
Great points Byte. Kids are like little sponges. They soak up everything you do around them, say around them, show and tell them. My kid is 15 months and the stuff that he picks up (that you wouldn't think he'd notice) is downright scary.
- Tim
I wouldn't mind some remedial kid type saftey reading material. I'm new to guns. ill read anything I can if someone has some.
She's a little old for this but figured I'd point it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEBrb_wRYc

She might get a kick out of the dance though. We do it with the scouts for a little ice breaker.
Kid training, how to kill cats in the city an get away with it, kid training.
What's next?
When in doubt. JFC.

(11-16-2011, 05:52 AM)Beau Wrote: Kid training, how to kill cats in the city an get away with it, kid training.
What's next?

Duh...training kids how to kill cats in the city. Logical evolution of this thread.
(11-18-2011, 12:28 PM)blackford76 Wrote:
(11-16-2011, 05:52 AM)Fracker Wrote: Kid training, how to kill cats in the city an get away with it, kid training.
What's next?

Duh...training kids how to kill cats in the city. Logical evolution of this thread.

My kids already figured it out. First you let the cat out. Then you let the husky out to go find the cat.
When in doubt. JFC.