Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conceal Carry Insurance
Opinion on concealed carry insurance? Anyone carrying this insurance? Any recommendations on a particular insurance carrier?
Thanks
(04-06-2017, 05:44 PM)GeorgeandSugar Wrote: Opinion on concealed carry insurance? Anyone carrying this insurance? Any recommendations on a particular insurance carrier?
Thanks

I think it is a great idea, and I have it. There are many different options out there so you have to shop around. I use U.S. Law shield. The plan I have is somewhere around $200 a year. They cover attorney costs and provide coverage if I am traveling outside of Colorado. My children are also covered, but only in Colorado.
Smileak
I did a multi-month project two years ago, trying to determine which one was right for me. Ultimately, I wound up picking Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. It's not an unlimited coverage (but high enough that it's generally the same thing), came with eight legal training DVDs, a copy of Ayoob's book, "Deadly Force", and had a pretty solid network behind them.

US Law Shield would have been my choice, except - at least at the time - there were a couple of game stoppers for me. I can't remember what they are any more. My hard requirements at the time were:
  • Must allow all defensive situations, not just firearms uses (two companies were cut from this, and I think US Law Shield was one of them. But an agent did say that it was planned on changing for Colorado customers shortly).
  • Must allow for multiple states (most companies did this outright, or had an option for it)
  • Must cover civil as well as criminal cases (This cut out a surprising amount of companies)
  • Must cover up front costs, not be a reimbursement (this cut out USCCA, but I've since learned they changed their process on this)
Here are the things you should look for:

You should check at coverage limits - "Unlimited" sounds great, but it's largely an impractical defining factor, as the expected costs will be "just" a few hundred thousand, most likely.
Check if the company offers multi-state coverage; some offer it outright, and some (like US Law Shield) offer as an add-on. Usually, if an add-on, the cost is pretty minimal.
Find out what the total cost is for your family; Even if they don't carry the gun, they might be in a situation where they're forced to use it
Check if the company covers non-firearm defensive uses. If you're at a bar, and you use a pool cue stick to defend yourself, will the company cover it? How about your defensive knife?
Does the company cover criminal AND civil court cases?
Does the company cover expert witness testimonies and investigative costs?
Does the company offer any post-signup training/info? (USCCA is arguably the hands-down best at this, with their magazine)
Does the company offer coverage for appeals?
All the companies I checked out now offer their payment services up front, instead of a reimbursement. But check, just in case you're looking at an option I didn't investigate.

DON'T use the argument of "They won't cover me if they believe it's an illegal shoot"! This is true of all companies. If you are party to a blatantly bad shoot, no company I've ever heard of will cover you. So you will need to convince the company that you're in the right. This is why USCCA used to be reimbursment-only. But these companies no longer need a court of law to make the decision. However, most - if not all - of them will have a clause that you owe the money back if found guilty. Simplest way to avoid that problem? Know the law and follow it!

(I'm thinking I should probably turn this into a blog post...)
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
(04-11-2017, 11:23 AM)JackRock Wrote: I did a multi-month project two years ago, trying to determine which one was right for me. Ultimately, I wound up picking Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. It's not an unlimited coverage (but high enough that it's generally the same thing), came with eight legal training DVDs, a copy of Ayoob's book, "Deadly Force", and had a pretty solid network behind them.

US Law Shield would have been my choice, except - at least at the time - there were a couple of game stoppers for me. I can't remember what they are any more. My hard requirements at the time were:
  • Must allow all defensive situations, not just firearms uses (two companies were cut from this, and I think US Law Shield was one of them. But an agent did say that it was planned on changing for Colorado customers shortly).
  • Must allow for multiple states (most companies did this outright, or had an option for it)
  • Must cover civil as well as criminal cases (This cut out a surprising amount of companies)
  • Must cover up front costs, not be a reimbursement (this cut out USCCA, but I've since learned they changed their process on this)
Here are the things you should look for:

You should check at coverage limits - "Unlimited" sounds great, but it's largely an impractical defining factor, as the expected costs will be "just" a few hundred thousand, most likely.
Check if the company offers multi-state coverage; some offer it outright, and some (like US Law Shield) offer as an add-on. Usually, if an add-on, the cost is pretty minimal.
Find out what the total cost is for your family; Even if they don't carry the gun, they might be in a situation where they're forced to use it
Check if the company covers non-firearm defensive uses. If you're at a bar, and you use a pool cue stick to defend yourself, will the company cover it? How about your defensive knife?
Does the company cover criminal AND civil court cases?
Does the company cover expert witness testimonies and investigative costs?
Does the company offer any post-signup training/info? (USCCA is arguably the hands-down best at this, with their magazine)
Does the company offer coverage for appeals?
All the companies I checked out now offer their payment services up front, instead of a reimbursement. But check, just in case you're looking at an option I didn't investigate.

DON'T use the argument of "They won't cover me if they believe it's an illegal shoot"! This is true of all companies. If you are party to a blatantly bad shoot, no company I've ever heard of will cover you. So you will need to convince the company that you're in the right. This is why USCCA used to be reimbursment-only. But these companies no longer need a court of law to make the decision. However, most - if not all - of them will have a clause that you owe the money back if found guilty. Simplest way to avoid that problem? Know the law and follow it!

(I'm thinking I should probably turn this into a blog post...)

JackRock, thank you! This undoubtedly save me some time and give me something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-11-2017, 12:44 PM)GeorgeandSugar Wrote: JackRock, thank you! This undoubtedly save me some time and give me something to think about.

You're quite welcome. Just do you research, and go into it with the thought, "There is no single perfect product. What can this company offer ME?"

Some products were a no-go for me, but others found them acceptable or even ideal. Just like there's no single "best" firearm in the world, there's no single best self-defense legal protection.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
Another Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network member.

I just bit the bullet and joined for 10 years. It's a chunk of change, but less than $80/year that way.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.