Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Taurus PT809b?
Been researching this gun and wondering what all y'alls opinion is. I like the hammer fired, ambi controls, decocker, large cap, sa/da double strike, and most of all the price. So far everyone seems to like them. Will primarily be a range plinker.
As a range gun, it's probably fine. But Taurus has had way too many quality issues recently for me to trust it as a defensive weapon. Sure, it'll probably be fine, but Taurus has a long way to go to convince me to take the chance. I will admit, the PT111 has had enough independent reviews to possibly suggest it to family members on a budget.

From a cost perspective, that's a decent firearm. Just please make sure to properly test it within the first few weeks, so you can report to Taurus if it screws up.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
I've heard most the fte/ftf issues is due to not cleaning good enough first time and shipping grease gumming up the works. For the price I might just have to buy one and risk it. Thanks for the opinion.
Like I said, if the goal is to be a plinker/range gun, that price is VERY hard to ignore. I say go for it if you have a spare few hundred.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
(01-31-2017, 12:35 PM)DavidH Wrote: Been researching this gun and wondering what all y'alls opinion is. I like the hammer fired, ambi controls, decocker, large cap, sa/da double strike, and most of all the price. So far everyone seems to like them. Will primarily be a range plinker.

I had a Taurus semi auto 40 for a while and although the price was right it was a little picky on ammo which was kind of annoying at the range. It ran ok once I knew what ammo to use, but anyone who even slightly limp wristed while firing would jamb it. It made a decent range gun and was decently accurate, but I would have a hard time putting my life or family behind it. I ended up selling it to friend of a friend with no remorse. It was a M640 though, not a PT809b, so take all that input with a grain of salt.
Just ordered and should show up next week. Will put a range report in once I get some time to go.
(02-03-2017, 05:18 PM)DavidH Wrote: Just ordered and should show up next week. Will put a range report in once I get some time to go.

Good stuff. I'm curious to know the outcome. 
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
Picked it up today from Shooter Ready (only shop that could get it) and this thing looks and feels great. Might be a while before I can hit the range though, had an accident and have 2 sprained ankles. Boo. Will post range results when I can walk again. Lol.
Juan and Cy are good people to deal with.
I use to shoot steel dogs with them.
Good luck with your Taurus!
Dealt with Juan and I liked him. Will probably go back.
Bought a PT111 (pink pistol) for someone a long time ago. I hated it. The trigger pull was terrible.
Smileak