Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airports and firearms
I don't know if this is an easy question or not.  If I am not going through security, what are the rules for carrying at the airport?  I had to pick the girlfriend up tonight and disarmed in the parking garage.  

According to Legal Heat [Image: 0GPSsVua8y8qBPB_eCkmQWgtZ665yWaGBFw7_djp...50-h193-no]

but there is also a section that states that you can carry unless there is security and metal detectors at the entrance.  What say you?  Would I be breaking the law by carrying there?
I took my rifle with me on a hunting trip and it had to be unloaded and in a case to bring it in the terminal.
This was 5-6 years ago.
I doubt that a handgun would be different, I would call Denver PD as the handle all security outside of TSA jurisdiction.
(12-27-2016, 08:03 AM)bufordtjustice Wrote:  I took my rifle with me on a hunting trip and it had to be unloaded and in a case to bring it in the terminal.
This was 5-6 years ago.
I doubt that a handgun would be different, I would call Denver PD as the handle all security outside of TSA jurisdiction.

Thanks, I am always afraid to ask the local PD as their answer is probably anti-2a without the law to back it up.
From Handgunlaw.us:
Quote:Note: Denver International Airport (DIA) has signs posted at the entrance of the Terminal stating:
It is a FELONY OFFENSE for any person without legal authority to bring a loaded firearm or
explosive or incendiary device into the airport or aboard a commercial aircraft. Violators may be
sentenced to five years imprisonment a fine of $10.000 or both.

Those with a valid permit/license can carry into the airport but not into the sterile areas of the airport. Your
valid permit/license is your legal authority. The only reference to firearms in the DIA Rules/Regulations
states a Permit/License holder can’t carry into secure areas of the airport. Secure areas would be past the
TSA security checkpoint and anywhere else in the terminal or grounds off limits to passengers.
[bold is mine]
Your permit is your "legal authority". But since the sterile areas have electronic screening equipment and security personnel, it's against state law to even attempt to bring it past that point. 
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
(12-28-2016, 02:36 PM)JackRock Wrote:  From Handgunlaw.us:
[bold is mine]
Your permit is your "legal authority". But since the sterile areas have electronic screening equipment and security personnel, it's against state law to even attempt to bring it past that point. 

That's what I was looking for.  Thank you!