Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sell question..
Can I take a (MY) Springfield XDm ,, 9mm,, with its 19 round Magazine,,  across state line,and sell private sale?
I am a Colorado resident.

Thank You in advance..
I am unsure on this.

However, If I remember rightly, any firearm that is sold across state lines must go through an FFL. I believe this applies to private sales also. Again, I am not sure about this.
Smileak
The answer is no. You will have to send/give the firearm to an FFL in the state of the recipient's residence. And from there, the FFL's state laws and rules apply. Physical location isn't the primary factor here, but actual residence of both transferor and transferee. 

This is shown in ATF's on FAQ, found here.

Here is the pertinent section:
ATF Wrote:2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State? Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at http://www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
And yet, I see signs up in Walmart to the effect they will sell a rifle to someone from an adjacent state.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(09-10-2016, 08:16 AM)308 Fan Wrote:  And yet, I see signs up in Walmart to the effect they will sell a rifle to someone from an adjacent state.

An FFL may sell a long gun to someone from an adjacent state, depending on state law.

The interesting part of the question is about the magazines. By strict interpretation of Colorado State law, you cannot transfer the magazines. Ever. Anywhere.

On a practical level I can't see anyone ever prosecuting you for getting those evyl baby-killing rapid-fire high-capacity magazines clips out of state.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
They'd pretty much have to really want to get you on it, and be able to prove it. If it has a date stamp on it (plastic ones often will) or goes to a gun that wasn't sold before 2013, you could be at some risk.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(09-10-2016, 08:16 AM)308 Fan Wrote:  And yet, I see signs up in Walmart to the effect they will sell a rifle to someone from an adjacent state.
Federal law doesn't prohibit long gun sales across state lines. I think only some states even limit it. But the OP was about an XDM, anyway.

Pretty stupid, but that's the current law.

JackRock
Sent From TapaTalk, and still avoiding Leetspeak
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
But the paragraph from the ATF says "firearms" not "handguns."

Biggun