Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HI CAPACITY MAG PURCHASED IN 2016
I purchased my first weapon in CO in 2016. It's a S&W 9mm and it came with 2 17 round mags. Since CO law makes it illegal to sell, transfer, or possess mags with 16+ rounds how could the gun shop make the sale? Do I need to worry? Interestingly, when I return to the gun store I see numerous 16+ round mags for sale 3 years after the ban.

I understand that the burden of proof is on the prosecutor, but it would be easy to prove by reviewing my cc statements for sales at a gun shop and then pulling the actual sales receipt. The receipt says 2 17 round mags.
Yes, by the way the law is written, your situation is illegal.

Shops are still selling those mags because it's largely unenforceable for post-purchase situations, and most CO LEOs don't really care for that law (re: sheriffs suing the state). Most of the time, I see them sold as "kits" or "repair kits", which just happen to have enough to build a full magazine.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
In a county and gun shop that I will not name , I recently saw magazines over 15 rds for sale.
When I inquired if they had any fear of legal trouble, the owner told me that sheriffs deputies had been in the store and saw the merchandise and said they had no problem with it.
I've purchased 4 high capacity mags for my AR in last 3 months from gun stores all saying the same thing, local leo's don't care.
(07-14-2016, 06:34 AM)bufordtjustice Wrote: In a county and gun shop that I will not name , I recently saw magazines over 15 rds for sale.
When I inquired if they had any fear of legal trouble, the owner told me that sheriffs deputies had been in the store and saw the merchandise and said they had no problem with it.

(07-14-2016, 11:37 AM)bstoker87 Wrote: I've purchased 4 high capacity mags for my AR in last 3 months from gun stores all saying the same thing, local leo's don't care.

Yup. They know the law is stupid, so they're not enforcing it.

In fact, the only time I've heard of anybody using this law to charge anybody was up in Larimer, and they used it as a "tack on" charge. The original arrest was for making threats to people and property. Basically, it sounds like they wanted to put him away longer, so they're using this to do so.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2015/11/01/first-large-capacity-magazine-charge-filed-larimer/74887236/
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
I've noticed this in Co as well, recently moved from California and most gun shops have standard cap mags for sale. Either surplus or new they're available. I would just make sure you aren't doing anything dumb. We've been shooting outdoors for some time now in evergreen Co, and the only thing is can they even confiscate mags if they see you shooting out there? I'm from California, and I think park rangers and local leo can confiscate those mags.
(09-16-2016, 03:29 PM)glockspets Wrote: I've noticed this in Co as well, recently moved from California and most gun shops have standard cap mags for sale. Either surplus or new they're available. I would just make sure you aren't doing anything dumb. We've been shooting outdoors for some time now in evergreen Co, and the only thing is can they even confiscate mags if they see you shooting out there? I'm from California, and I think park rangers and local leo can confiscate those mags.

They can't confiscate anything unless they have cause to believe you're breaking the law, or are about to. I know the park rangers around here have been pissy about shooters doing legal things in legal areas, so mostly they just watch for when you come down the mountain. In other words, don't speed when you're leaving the area. A few of my friends have had the rangers give tickets for going a single mph over the limit, after we showed them that we weren't breaking any laws.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO