Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best non-resident permit for Colorado permit holders?
Guys,
Wondering if anyone can give me some info--I seem to find contradictory info on the internet. I am a Colorado resident who has had a concealed carry permit for many years. I also have had a Utah non-resident permit for many years as well. My Utah permit expires in August and I am wondering if it is worth renewing. I went to one concealed carry permit reciprocity map and it indicated that the only two states that Utah would add to my Colorado resident permit would be Washington state and Virginia, neither state which I am likely to travel to. But on several other forums I found mention that the Utah non-resident permit would give other states reciprocity  as well--which contradicted the map's info. I know this info changes constantly but anyone have an up-to-date answer? The larger general  question is, what non-resident permit is best for Colorado permit holders? And the specific question for me is, is it worth it to renew my Utah non-resident--does it in fact only give me an additional two states? Thanks for any answers...and sorry if this has been answered on the forum before. I did a search but couldn't find anything.
Mike
Most current (as of NOW...this VERY second) information is here: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/chpreciprocity
Yes, I had perused that site, which tells me what states are reciprocal for a Colorado resident permit. What I hoped to find out in some easy format was what states are reciprocal for a Utah non-resident permit, so I could compare the two lists and figure out if the Utah non-resident is worth renewing. On the internet forums I keep reading that the Utah non-resident gives such states as Minnesota and others, but the reciprocity map I checked seems to contradict that.
What you need is something like this dynamic map: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

It will take some time to go through each option and compare them, but that site's mostly up to date. Depending on how old the latest reciprocity changes are, it may be missing some.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
(06-01-2016, 10:05 AM)cmj685 Wrote: Guys,
Wondering if anyone can give me some info--I seem to find contradictory info on the internet. I am a Colorado resident who has had a concealed carry permit for many years. I also have had a Utah non-resident permit for many years as well. My Utah permit expires in August and I am wondering if it is worth renewing. I went to one concealed carry permit reciprocity map and it indicated that the only two states that Utah would add to my Colorado resident permit would be Washington state and Virginia, neither state which I am likely to travel to. But on several other forums I found mention that the Utah non-resident permit would give other states reciprocity  as well--which contradicted the map's info. I know this info changes constantly but anyone have an up-to-date answer? The larger general  question is, what non-resident permit is best for Colorado permit holders? And the specific question for me is, is it worth it to renew my Utah non-resident--does it in fact only give me an additional two states? Thanks for any answers...and sorry if this has been answered on the forum before. I did a search but couldn't find anything.
Mike

I got a Nevada non-resident permit.  In my research (admittedly dated), states that required applicants to shoot generally did not honor permits from states that did not require applicants to qualify by shooting.  Hence, Nevada, which requires applicants to shoot does not honor Colorado (or Utah) permits.  NV classes can be found for free and the permit costs $100 and can be issued in any NV county.  Good for 5 years.  And NV -- particularly Las Vegas-- is one of those states where you want to carry.
As I come down to the time when I have to decide to renew or not for the Utah non-resident permit, I have tentatively concluded that the Utah non-resident permit just doesn't give me anything that seems particularly valuable to me. Of course that will vary with everyone, since it depends on what other states you might get to and what other states you might want your permit recognized. For me, the only state that I might someday wish I had a permit for that Colorado's permit doesn't already give me would be Washington State. Otherwise, for the most part, the states that don't recognize Colorado don't recognize Utah non-resident either, and the Colorado permit will actually get you NM which the Utah non-resident won't--a state which is a heck of a lot closer than Washington State. So I have tentatively concluded that I will not renew the Utah permit. The only reservation is that the Utah non-resident permit renewal is so easy and cheap. But if it really doesn't help, why get it? I have to say that the resources available, including even the official state web pages, are not terribly helpful! They may tell you what states honor their state's permit, but many of them don't give a clue about what state permits they honor, which is what I wanted to know.