Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Colorado, have a few questions.
Hello, everyone.

After living in Northern Virginia and enjoying some rather accommodating gun laws, I have had just about all I can handle of the general lunacy that is the D.C. Metro Area. (15 yrs of that town will do that to you.) I've visited Colorado a few times in my life, and it always seemed like a place in which I'd like to live. I am making very focused efforts to find a job in and move to Colorado. I will be primarily looking in the Denver/Boulder area, as it affords the best job market for me.

I understand that I should try not to live within the Denver limits, in general, due to their quite strict gun laws. That's fine with me, but i do have a few questions regarding the state's laws.

1. Which counties/towns have stricter gun laws that the state's laws?
2. For large cap magazines, is the law stated as such regardless of if you originated from another state? What I mean is, supposing one's mags were purchase after 2013, but were purchased legally while residing in another state. Is there a grandfather allowance for such a scenario, and if so, where might I find the verbiage to support that allowance. I'm not really bothered by the restriction as much as I just don't want to have to purchase new mags for my pistol and AR.
3. As my research seems to have concluded, my AR-15, 2 x 9mm semi-auto pistols, and 12g pump shotgun are all permitted in Colorado. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
4. I still have to do some research on NFA type firearms, and I don't currently own any that I would need to worry about, but is there anything I should be aware of if I wanted to purchase an SBR, or say an AR pistol?

I'm very much looking forward to putting a lot of miles on my mountain bikes, going camping, and enjoying the amazing outdoors in Colorado! Hopefully I can get enjoyment out of my guns, as well.

Thanks to all!

Colby
IThe city and county of Denver is the main place to avoid residency concerning strict gun laws.
The magazine law as I undestand it applies to everyone regardless of where you lived on the day it came into effect .
If you owned them before you are legal.
NFA firearms would be the same to purchase as in most states.

As I type this I am working in Norfolk

Good luck with your move.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Welcome to Colorado in advance!

1.) Denver and Denver County, as already said, ban open carry, assault weapons and are good to avoid in general. I was told in my Concealed Handgun Permit that Manitou Springs bans open carry, but I've not been able to find evidence of that online.

2.) My understanding is, if you own the >15rd magazine after June 30th 2013 that they are not legal in CO regardless of where bought, but not 100% certain. On reading the law at http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2013a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/7E6713B015E62E6F87257B0100813CB5?open&file=1224_enr.pdf , I do not see having bought the magazine legally as a resident of another state after June 30th 2013 as an exception.

3.) All are legal in CO, as you've already mentioned, the only problem would be magazines over 15 rds. For shotguns, a high capacity magazine is defined as:( II) A FIXED, TUBULAR SHOTGUN MAGAZINE THAT HOLDS MORE
THAN TWENTY-EIGHT INCHES OF SHOTGUN SHELLS, INCLUDING ANY
EXTENSION DEVICE THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE MAGAZINE AND HOLDS
ADDITIONAL SHOTGUN SHELLS; OR
(III) A NONTUBULAR, DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, BOX, DRUM, FEED
STRIP, OR SIMILAR DEVICE THAT IS CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING MORE THAN
EIGHT SHOTGUN SHELLS WHEN COMBINED WITH A FIXED MAGAZINE.

I profess to not having any knowledge of shotguns so pasted the law in, in case it applies to your shotgun.

4.) I don't know about the NFA Firearms.

If you have any further questions on law, I've found Rocky Mountain Gun Owners to be very helpful. I have found I get a fast response if I message their facebook page. Their telephone number is (888) 874-3006.
Thanks, guys. This is all pretty much what I gathered, as well. Was just hoping to find specific wording on the large cap mags regarding out of staters. It's not a huge deal to me. It would just be nice if I didn't have to sell and re-buy some 20-odd magazines.

I understand that, if charged, the onus of proving I bought the mags after that date lies with the prosecution, and that it would pretty difficult for them to do that. I'm just not one to take a silly risk like that.
(03-28-2016, 07:09 AM)TJBuggy2B Wrote:  I understand that, if charged, the onus of proving I bought the mags after that date lies with the prosecution, and that it would pretty difficult for them to do that.

Not that difficult for plastic magazines (or followers). Most have a date (or batch) code stamped into the plastic.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Looks like my PMags and the mags for my two XD's aren't stamped, but still, not the kind of guy to take that chance.
Sweet! I just checked when I bought my XD-M 9mm, and I've had it and it's mags since 2010. Man, it just doesn't seem like that long ago. I'll still have to replace my PMags, though.
The magazine law is blatantly ignored here...even FFLs ignore it. A cop might use it to throw the book at you if he was REALLY pissed off at you.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(03-28-2016, 10:13 AM)TJBuggy2B Wrote:  Looks like my PMags and the mags for my two XD's aren't stamped, but still, not the kind of guy to take that chance.
iirc all PMags before June 13 were stamped. There should be a little clock logo with hands telling the manufacture date.

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk