Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does the forum not have many users?
The local gun form in LA has 24k members and routinely has over 300+ online at the same time with the most ever active at once being 8k. Is there a reason why this site doesn't have similar traffic considering both states have a similar population size? I would just like to grow the shooting community around here.
Couldn't tell ya. Forum just never caught on.
Smileak
This forum has all the "Mr. Eds" of the gun world.

...and that's a good thing!

:)

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Your guess is a valid as any other, we don't really know why.
Have you guys set out a booth at local gun shows encouraging people to join?
(03-04-2016, 10:06 PM)Louisiana Implant Wrote: Have you guys set out a booth at local gun shows encouraging people to join?

Might be more expensive than it's worth at this point. Those booths cost a fair amount of cash.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
In Louisiana they let you in free if youre not selling anything and you list the show on your website.
Total guess: Gun owners here seem to be a tad more reclusive than in States that haven't been under assault from stupid law changes. Many are older and less interested in the Net in general and add that they'd like to not have to use the "all my guns were lost in a deep water boating mishap recently" if our idiots at the State House do anything new, they just don't participate much online.

(To pass the new anti-gun legislation a few years back, some of the State's oldest floor debate traditions -- which unfortunately were never codified into written procedure -- were completely destroyed. Public input was not welcomed by certain State legislators at all.

A pretty strong message was sent by the voters with recall elections and what-not, but this has mostly only served to move former legislators to high paying consulting type work for their Party, and made all of them more secretive and cagy the ever, hiding things they're up to from the prying eyes of constituents.

The trust level between most long-time Citizens of this beautiful state and our legislators is as low as I have ever seen it. It's also a national issue, but it's very acute here amongst 2nd Amendment supporters. And when Citizens don't trust the local politicians, they tend to clam up a bit about gun ownership.

Colorado also has a never ending problem with State House representation of rural and low population areas vs the "big city" of Denver. Denver is leaning more and more left with the massive influx of previously coastal folk, and the City and County uses taxpayer money to push an anti-gun agenda in the courts.

Mix in that rural folk have neither the time, nor often the money, to fight anything dreamed up as a crime by Denver politicians who haven't set foot outdoors more than a few paces from their limos and BMWs, it's somewhat of a "perfect storm" of reasons why forums like this one haven't boomed in popularity right along with booming gun sales.

That's my best guess anyway.
I just wish there was more participation and less fear. No one had to list everything they own online, but it's a good place ask questions, have discussions, and buy and sell guns,parts, ammo, etc. Plenty of people like guns in CO.
Louisiana Implant,

I agree that "Plenty of people like guns in CO" but IME, gun-owners/carriers in this state are incredibly apathetic, lazy, complacent or whatever. They can't even find the time to go to OC Events (but CCers were ALSO invited EVERY TIME, and we especially wanted DENVER CCers to attend) when they are held...even when one was scheduled in their own neighborhoods (!) to make it EASIER for them to attend (so the lazy ones don't have to drive too far -- and yes, they DO complain if it's "too far to drive." For example, one guy Broomfield said if he had to drive "South of I-70" he wouldn't attend because "It's just too far." Really? And *I* was driving up from COS to the Denver area (towns ALL around Denver, not IN Denver of course, as OC is illegal in Denver) to host the events...kind of "out of MY way" too I'd say (~120 mile round trip for me), yes? But I thought "the cause" was important enough. As mentioned though, most people didn't think likewise.

Yes, SOME very few attended a number of events (our "OC regulars" if you will) -- and a thanks (!) to them for doing so (they know who they are) -- but getting new people or even CCers to attend just didn't happen...only now and then would someone new show up, sometimes a CCer, but then never attend another event. I was thinking it might be ME who was not the best person for hosting events, so I looked for someone ELSE to do them -- no one wanted to. So by default it was left to me and I "endeavored to persevere." For a while, anyway.

Consequently (and IMO) CO gun owners and especially "carriers" deserve whatever liberal political trash gets elected and whatever liberal anti-gun legislation that gets passed for not being WAY more involved. Sadly, however, whatever THEY get is also what the REST of us get as WE live here too, yet we're WAY too outnumbered by the do-nothings...so we ALL "benefit" from whatever comes down the legislative pike. By default.

And for those of us VERY few who OC, the CCers are some of our worst critics...because they don't "get" OC nor have any interest in trying. So we have very few "visible pro-gun representatives" out there every day on the streets to engage the (usually) clueless/ignorant general public about even BASIC gun rights of this state, let alone "D&E" (Desensitize & Educate) said public to see We the People exercising their 2nd Amendment/RKBA rights to carry -- and nothing bad happens! And as well, hopefully get them to think about doing the very same for their own protection and safety...whether it be CC or OC -- just CARRY! And maybe then they'll be more informed VOTERS when it comes to carry issues in the future. But it seems it's just the "Lone Wolf" OCers (akin to unicorns, except rarer) that are doing that so we really don't reach very many people as there aren't enough of us who OC. But maybe we DO make SOME difference out there when we DO encounter people who ask questions, and encourage them to carry/get their CC permit (I hope so). They're conversations ONLY OCers can have, since only OCers can do any D&E...but we need LOTS of D&E goin' on! By ALL of us.

So you see, it's not JUST this Colorado-specific forum that's "slow" like Boot Hill...it's elsewhere, too.

And we haven't even mentioned the OTHER Colorado-specific forum ("OpenCarryColorado") that died because no one wanted to keep it going (pay for renewing the domain name). But you know, in all fairness -- and due to the mass-lethargy already mentioned -- even if someone DID renew the forum, I doubt it would have had any more traffic than it did since again, it seems most Colorado gun-owners (and especially carriers, no matter how they do it, CC or OC) just don't care.

It's especially discouraging when smaller but WAY more vocal "special interest groups" -- such as Gay Rights -- have gotten so much done for THEIR agenda, yet "gun-people" -- a WAY more numerous "special interest" group -- do almost nothing. MOST gun-owners (MANY MILLIONS of them) in America likewise do nothing. They may as well not even exist.

So to me the prognosis for the pro-gun health of this state is poor. :-(

But then, when I was living in Galveston, TX, and heard about an OC event in YOUR old state, and e-mailed the group hosting the event to say I'd drive from Galveston to LA (forget which city the event was in but maybe the Southern part of the state) and perhaps we could "compare notes." -- and at the same time meet one of their "pro-gun/carry colleagues" from TX. At that time TX did not HAVE OC then but I was thinking we not only should have intra-state events, but inter-state events, too, so we were a more united "pro-gun/carry" front regardless of what state we lived in -- you know, get the larger picture instead of being locally-focused (and hence myopic)...but they didn't even bother to respond.

And although the OC events I've held in NM were WAY better attended compared to the ones here in CO, said attendance in NM still didn't reflect the MANY gun-carriers in THAT state, either. Not even close.

So what can I say...I guess that's just how it is...

So we have lots of CCers out there every day -- but no one knows that, or even how many -- and very few OCers. Hardly any. So the public thinks "no one carries" (they never see anyone carrying), so why do we "need" any of these gun freedoms nowadays? Isn't the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA "outdated" TODAY? I really can't blame them for thinking like that...but those people then VOTE! And guess HOW they vote: For more restricting/infringing gun-laws!

...and all you asked about here was why so little activity in this forum! ;-)

Yet I think how it is here is just a reflection how it things are generally in the Great and Free State of Colorado: NO INTEREST, for whatever reason. And frankly, I don't see ANY reason ANY gun-owners -- and especially carriers -- could give for "no interest" being of any value/substance whatsoever -- they'd just be LAME EXCUSES. We're ALL in this together and "the cause" is too important NOT to get involved.

Well...that's what I USED to think...but then it occurred to me that maybe what I was trying to do really wasn't that important, if most other carriers don't ALSO think it's important -- and they don't since they've clearly showed "no interest."

But that's probably just me seeing it this way...a Texas transplant myself (since July 2013), so what do I know? ;-)
To renew, or not renew, that is the question......

Maybe this will be the year the site takes off. 

Renewing domain names and hosting in the hopes that my dream may one day be realized......
Smileak
Beau, Post your Site support info again so we can help you out.
(03-10-2016, 03:21 PM)bufordtjustice Wrote: Beau, Post your Site support info again so we can help you out.

Agreed. We all know the stuff isn't truly free.
(03-10-2016, 03:21 PM)bufordtjustice Wrote: Beau, Post your Site support info again so we can help you out.

At the moment I am able to keep the site going on my own. Thanks for the offer though.
Smileak
I'm still of the opinion the forum software is a hinderance. Plus I think graphics and logo could use a big overhaul to appear more "technological" modern and interesting. Look at the Colorado AR-15 forum.

https://www.ar-15.co/

Aesthetics go a long ways to attracting members. Getting sponsors that will offer 10%, 15% discounts to members for services and parts/accessories will help too. It can catch on if you want it to, but you have to be committed to getting it out there. That means dropping business cards off at gun shops, offering them a place to cheaply advertise in exchanging for getting members to send business their way. You have to hustle. Running a successful forum is like operating your own business. The more your study, research and market...the better you will be. Stick with things that work, abandon those that don't. You have to get out there and face to face with people, gun shop owners, gun shows, shooting range operators, firearms instructors, gunsmiths, law enforcement, military personnel w/ combat training. Give people an INCENTIVE to want to come here (not incentive as in free stuff, but information, events, meets, gun shows, bbq's, maybe a track day at Bandimere to watch the races or something like that, maybe a CO Gun Owners Day at Coors Field for a Rockies Game) and interact and discuss.
(04-21-2016, 11:06 PM)HannahBearCo Wrote: I'm still of the opinion the forum software is a hinderance.  Plus I think graphics and logo could use a big overhaul to appear more "technological" modern and interesting.  Look at the Colorado AR-15 forum.  

https://www.ar-15.co/

Aesthetics go a long ways to attracting members.  Getting sponsors that will offer 10%, 15% discounts to members for services and parts/accessories will help too.  It can catch on if you want it to, but you have to be committed to getting it out there.  That means dropping business cards off at gun shops, offering them a place to cheaply advertise in exchanging for getting members to send business their way.  You have to hustle.  Running a successful forum is like operating your own business.  The more your study, research and market...the better you will be. Stick with things that work, abandon those that don't.  You have to get out there and face to face with people, gun shop owners, gun shows, shooting range operators, firearms instructors, gunsmiths, law enforcement, military personnel w/ combat training.  Give people an INCENTIVE to want to come here (not incentive as in free stuff, but information, events, meets, gun shows, bbq's, maybe a track day at Bandimere to watch the races or something like that, maybe a CO Gun Owners Day at Coors Field for a Rockies Game) and interact and discuss.

Having administered several forums in the past, I can say that the software choice has been a pretty significant factor. MyBB appears little more than a fork of PHPBB (I don't think it's official fork, but it appears very inspired by PHPBB). The current mainstream choice appears to be VBulletin, which I have endorsed with clients in the past (and still do, if the occasion and budget allow it). But if we want to stick with a no-cost option, Simple Machines was used by an old team I used to belong to. Good features, very customizable, has a reputation system if we want to use it, and other features. 

Ascetics is an issue, but we would need somebody with some good graphic design experience (a.k.a., definitely NOT me!). I've tried that in the past, and let's just say the results were....not spectacular.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
"...a reputation system if we want to use it..."

After seeing how that can be abused, It's a bad idea IMO.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

i can handle graphics and tweaking skins for forum software, web banners, t-shirt designs, membership card designs, etc.

thats my forte and what I went to college for.

agreed on Highway mans reputation system opinion. its too easily abused if you dont like someone, or a person is too opinionated (like me! hah!).
"Opinionated" probably describes everyone here.

So we'd end up with a bunch of member all of whom have about the same reputation as Beelzebub, and you can tell a newb because his reputation doesn't have a minus sign in front of it.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun