Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, fellow gun owners...
Thanks for letting me join.  I've been in Coloado since 1998, in which I finished my 25 year career in the Air Force.  Been retired a little over a year, and I'm still getting used to civilian life.  One particular aspect is being a gun owner who now wishes to carry a handgun in these troubled times.  I've recently started open carrying after the first incident in C. Springs in November, which occurred only a few blocks from my brother's house, and his family.  Then the Planned Parenthood shooting occurred while I was visiting them.

Even though I am retired military, it has been a concern of mine about open carry in public, which never crossed my mind while I was still serving.  I spent some time earlier today on this website, and my concerns have been greatly alleviated.  In the very near future, I will submit my application for a CC, but in the meantime, folks on this site have provided valuable info.  I have also researched Colorado law, and proper etiquette on when and where not to open carry.  The ban in Denver was new to me....good to know.

I look forward to learning more from everyone, and I hope that I can also start educating others on Colorado gun laws, especially my brother and his family.  Be safe and vigilant out there.
(12-03-2015, 07:02 PM)Galen130 Wrote: Thanks for letting me join.  I've been in Coloado since 1998, in which I finished my 25 year career in the Air Force.  Been retired a little over a year, and I'm still getting used to civilian life.  One particular aspect is being a gun owner who now wishes to carry a handgun in these troubled times.  I've recently started open carrying after the first incident in C. Springs in November, which occurred only a few blocks from my brother's house, and his family.  Then the Planned Parenthood shooting occurred while I was visiting them.

Even though I am retired military, it has been a concern of mine about open carry in public, which never crossed my mind while I was still serving.  I spent some time earlier today on this website, and my concerns have been greatly alleviated.  In the very near future, I will submit my application for a CC, but in the meantime, folks on this site have provided valuable info.  I have also researched Colorado law, and proper etiquette on where and where not to open carry.  The ban in Denver was new to me....good to know.

I look forward to learning more from everyone, and I hope that I can also start educating others on Colorado gun laws, especially my brother and his family.  Be safe and vigilant out there.

Galen130,

Welcome aboard.
If you are interested in getting a CO CCW, I recommend the CO School of Firearms (www.coschooloffirearms.com/).  Bill Marsh and company are great instructors and to be honest, I am a certified instructor through their school.  I will be enrolled in the next CCW Class that they give after the first of the year.  Then will be working with them to give classes at the north end of El Paso County.

/r Martin
Sounds good. Having expert-qualified with the AF in the last three years, do I still need the class? I researched that all I needed was documentation showing I attended instruction by a qualified instructor and/or a DD214. Thanks for the info.
(12-03-2015, 07:33 PM)Galen130 Wrote: Sounds good.  Having expert-qualified with the AF in the last three years, do I still need the class?  I researched that all I needed was documentation showing I attended instruction by a qualified instructor and/or a DD214.  Thanks for the info.

If you have documentation that shows a pistol qualification, it's good for ten years for a Colorado CHP. So you should be good to go.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
(12-04-2015, 11:53 PM)JackRock Wrote: If you have documentation that shows a pistol qualification, it's good for ten years for a Colorado CHP. So you should be good to go.

Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated.
Hello all,

I have decided that a CC permit isn't in the cards at this time. I have received no negative responses to my openly carrying my weapon, but at the same time...I am cautious about when and where to open carry. As long as you don't abuse it, you won't lose it. A state trooper told me not long ago that 'if yours stays holstered, mine will stay holstered'. Stay safe everyone!!!
(12-23-2015, 11:21 PM)Galen130 Wrote: Hello all,

I have decided that a CC permit isn't in the cards at this time.  I have received no negative responses to my openly carrying my weapon, but at the same time...I am cautious about when and where to open carry.  As long as you don't abuse it, you won't lose it.  A state trooper told me not long ago that 'if yours stays holstered, mine will stay holstered'.  Stay safe everyone!!!

Just curious - why is a CHP not in the cards?
(12-27-2015, 10:23 AM)blacksho89 Wrote: Just curious - why is a CHP not in the cards?

Surprisingly enough, not 100% sure. Was trained to carry concealed in my Air Force job, and I didn't like it. Positive responses by people who see me carrying has improved my comfort level and confidence. I know the benefits of concealed carry, but in an open carry state(more or less), I just don't see the need at this time. It is still on my mind though.
(12-27-2015, 05:24 PM)Galen130 Wrote: Surprisingly enough, not 100% sure.  Was trained to carry concealed in my Air Force job, and I didn't like it.  Positive responses by people who see me carrying has improved my comfort level and confidence.  I know the benefits of concealed carry, but in an open carry state(more or less), I just don't see the need at this time.  It is still on my mind though.

My thoughts are to get the CHP, so you have options where OC is not available (within 1000' of a school property, in non-secured areas of the airport, many ranges in the area, to name a few examples). 
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
(12-29-2015, 12:45 PM)JackRock Wrote: My thoughts are to get the CHP, so you have options where OC is not available (within 1000' of a school property, in non-secured areas of the airport, many ranges in the area, to name a few examples). 

Agreed. My daily travels don't take me near places like that, only public places in town. I will get a CWP, when the need arises. I don't carry much anyway.
(12-29-2015, 10:44 PM)Galen130 Wrote: Agreed.  My daily travels don't take me near places like that, only public places in town.  I will get a CWP, when the need arises.  I don't carry much anyway.

The shortest I've seen a Colorado CHP take was two weeks, with most counties taking the allowed 90 days. So, "when the need arises" may pass before the permit comes through. 

And I'm of the belief that one should carry everywhere allowable by law. That's from my days in the BSA - "Always be prepared".
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
I agree....still can't explain why I prefer to open carry. It can potentially make me a target, but at the same time I see it as a deterent. CWP is in progress, BTW....
(01-16-2016, 05:00 AM)Galen130 Wrote: I agree....still can't explain why I prefer to open carry.  It can potentially make me a target, but at the same time I see it as a deterent.  CWP is in progress, BTW....

No arguments there. The CHP just allows options that permitless carry doesn't. I prefer OC myself, though I'm often in areas where OC isn't legal (Denver and college grounds).
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
(12-29-2015, 10:44 PM)Galen130 Wrote: Agreed.  My daily travels don't take me near places like that [within 1000' of a school], only public places in town.  I will get a CWP, when the need arises.  I don't carry much anyway.

You need to bring up maps.google.com, zoom in on your neighborhood and the surrounding couple of miles and then search on "school" within the app.

You'll probably discover that the 1000' is yet another anti-gun smoke and mirrors technique to arrest who they want, when they want.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Yeah, there are more school zones than people realize.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

look at all the pretty red dots.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

When in doubt. JFC.

(01-17-2016, 09:55 PM)Beau Wrote: look at all the pretty red dots.

Yep, such is the face of "reasonable" gun control.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Granted that was Denver and no OC in Denver anyway. Most populated areas look a lot like that though.
When in doubt. JFC.

(01-18-2016, 03:33 PM)Beau Wrote: Granted that was Denver and no OC in Denver anyway. Most populated areas look a lot like that though.

I have used the map before, just haven't submitted anything to it. So far, every instance has been neutral or positive in response or attitude. Did enough research to know when to use common sense. This website has been very helpful...
Walked into a Safeway in Pueblo West, open carry, and had no problems. I will update the map from now on...