Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loaded AR pistol in your vehicle/open carry?
Serious question.

I'm new to Colorado. Just got based here about 3 months ago. I already got my cc license.

I'm aware of no OC in Denver, I'm also aware that you can't have a loaded rifle in your car.

My question is, can I have a loaded AR pistol in my car? It's not a rifle.

Can I open carry an AR pistol (obviously not in Denver)?

Just wondering.
You can open carry anything outside of the City and Cesspit of Denver, there's no Long Gun/Pistol distinction.

I don't know for sure about loaded AR Pistols in your car. It would depend on whether Colorado uses the federal definition of long gun. But even if Colorado thinks it's a long gun, all you are required to do is be chamber empty. You can have a loaded magazine in the rifle and be in Condition 3, in your car.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(09-04-2015, 05:37 PM)308 Fan Wrote: You can open carry anything outside of the City and Cesspit of Denver, there's no Long Gun/Pistol distinction.

I don't know for sure about loaded AR Pistols in your car.  It would depend on whether Colorado uses the federal definition of long gun.  But even if Colorado thinks it's a long gun, all you are required to do is be chamber empty.  You can have a loaded magazine in the rifle and be in Condition 3, in your car.

That's the thing, I was trying to find the definition of a pistol or rifle, and I couldn't.
I would suspect that they are following federal definitions then... but that's DEFINITELY a question for a lawyer.

I suspect that you can figure out your most prudent course of action until you do know.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
You'll soon figure out that the gun laws in this state were written by a handful of complete idiots with absolutely no knowledge of firearms whatsoever if you haven't already.
Men are only anti-gun until the first time they fail to defend their families
The Patriot Act was the most unpatriotic act our Congress has ever enacted. ABOLISH THE FED.
(10-02-2015, 06:22 PM)drumvudu Wrote: You'll soon figure out that the gun laws in this state were written by a handful of complete idiots with absolutely no knowledge of firearms whatsoever if you haven't already.

From what I recall, they were written by a bunch of anti-gunners from New York.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.