Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Go To BluCore if You Are Handicapped!
I was turned away from service to use the range at Blue Core simply due to the fact that I require 24/7 oxygen therapy. This isn't exactly explosive liquid oxygen (not that it should matter), it's simply concentrated oxygen right out of the air and it sits right behind me when I am shooting. There is no reason in the world why it would not be safe for me to shoot at any properly built gun range. I have shot at ranges all over town and in Texas and Louisiana as well. I would be much more likely to shoot myself than for my oxygen bottle to take a direct hit. The entire premise is ridiculous. It mostly irritates me because from what I understand, they have the only 100m, indoor range in the area and I was looking for a place to shoot in the colder months when the weather was exceptionally bad. Very, very, disappointing.
Men are only anti-gun until the first time they fail to defend their families
The Patriot Act was the most unpatriotic act our Congress has ever enacted. ABOLISH THE FED.
I have to admit I'd worry about projectiles near liquid oxygen, myself. All it would take would be for some idiot who doesn't understand the four rules...

(I agree that there's no significant hazard amongst people who know WTF they are doing...but you don't get to pick your fellow shooters at a public gun range.)

It's a longer drive for you but there's Magnum off Exit 156 on I-25 (north end of Colorado Springs). They are non-membership, and I don't know their policy. (I hear conflicting stories on whether they're infested with unsafe idiots.)

I'd suggest going another ten miles to Whistling Pines West, a vastly nicer facility with good anti-idiot controls, but they are membership only.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Personally I wouldn't have any concerns about an oxygen bottle on their rifle range. The shooters are seated at the benches, concentrating and taking their time, trying to hit tiny targets way downrange.
Sounds to me like this isn't even a bottle, it's just "reduced nitrogen air" from a membrane (molecular sieve) system.

Should be a zero problem.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Thanks for the comments. It is actually a bottle but it's not liquid oxygen. It's oxygen that my home concentrator concentrated and filled into my bottles that i carry.
Men are only anti-gun until the first time they fail to defend their families
The Patriot Act was the most unpatriotic act our Congress has ever enacted. ABOLISH THE FED.
(08-02-2015, 10:03 PM)drumvudu Wrote:  ...filled into my bottles that i carry.

To what pressure does the concentrator fill the bottles? I just checked an O2 bottle out in the garage and that's a 2k PSI bottle.

I thought you were talking a carried concentrator which creates O2 "on the fly" and not under pressure or in great [instantaneous] quantities.

With the new information that we're dealing with compressed O2, this does fall into an agonizingly gray area.

Now we're taking about a large volume of oxidizer in a confined space in close proximity to multiple ignition sources (ventilation fan motors, guns being fired).

Not to mention the possibility of the bottle being compromised (though that's pretty a remote possibility, one that I'm almost willing to dismiss outright).

This is going to require far more thought on my part to determine the level of risk involved...

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Wow! I personally wouldn't be concerned about it, it's just weird they would be.
As mentioned the only potential problem I see is someone breaking the one or more of the four rules. Even then the possibility of an ND and that ND hitting your tank are so small that it shouldn't matter. I think it would take someone trying to shoot your tank on purpose.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.