Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here own an M&P Sport?
What are your general impressions? how long have you had it? How much have you fired it? Reliability? Finish? Overall quality? I am really trying to decide which AR platform to buy next and am on a limited budget. I can do one of two things; I can either take $600 over and buy an M&P Sport and try to be happy with it or I can take that same $600 over and put it down on any number of much nicer (I assume) $1200 - $1500 guns and finance the rest through the gun shop and pay it off within 6 months. I am super torn. The idea of financing something that I don't really need just doesn't sit well with me even if it is only for six months. The only pro I can think of is the fact that I sometimes have a difficult time saving money for guns but if I already have the gun, making payments will be much easier for me. Any advise on the M&P or my dilemma? Im all ears.
Men are only anti-gun until the first time they fail to defend their families
The Patriot Act was the most unpatriotic act our Congress has ever enacted. ABOLISH THE FED.
If you buy the cheap gun you will regret it as long as you have it. If you do the layaway you will regret it for 6 months. And be happy with the gun you bought.
You could buy cheap and upgrade but will put more into it than buying the nice gun outright.

Just my $.02.
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
-Pink Floyd...or was it Benjamin Franklin?
Nothing cheap about an MP sport

It,s their $1000 mp15 missing a dust cover and charge assist, which you don't need if you are not fighting in a desert
(05-16-2015, 04:46 PM)bufordtjustice Wrote: Nothing cheap about an MP sport

It,s their $1000 mp15 missing a dust cover and charge assist, which you don't need if you are not fighting in a desert

Excuse my ignorance but this will be my first AR, what exactly is a charge assist? I assume a dust cover is a dust cover.
The Patriot Act was the most unpatriotic act our Congress has ever enacted. ABOLISH THE FED.
During extended use, burnt powder residue and other foreign matter combined with excess heat can cause a round to not fully chamber( the bolt doesn't shut on its own).
M16s and most AR15s have a charge assist "plunger" that extends through the rh side of the reciever that you hit with the palm of your hand to assist the closing of the bolt.

The dust cover , covers the ejection port to keep out dirt and sand.

Some AR manufactures make a model without these option , as they are not really necessary for civilian use.
Have you looked at the Ruger AR556 ? nice and only $600 http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html at my local shop they are $650
(05-16-2015, 09:34 PM)Ric Wrote: Have you looked at the Ruger AR556 ? nice and only $600 http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html at my local shop they are $650

I have. Seems like it would be a good rifle. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot one though. I'm still working on trying to find priced for me parts to do a build. 
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(05-16-2015, 08:14 PM)drumvudu Wrote: Excuse my ignorance but this will be my first AR, what exactly is a charge assist? I assume a dust cover is a dust cover.

(05-16-2015, 09:05 PM)bufordtjustice Wrote: During extended use, burnt powder residue and other foreign  matter combined with excess heat can cause a round to not fully chamber( the bolt doesn't shut on its own).
M16s and most AR15s have a charge assist "plunger" that extends through the rh side of the reciever that you hit with the palm of your hand to assist the closing of the bolt.

Some AR manufactures make a model without these option , as they are not really necessary for civilian use.

To visualize the item that Buford is explaining, this is the part he's talking about. In the Army, we referred to it as the forward assist, but functionality is exactly as Buford described. I have never needed to use it in eight years of shooting the platform (though, we practiced using it for Type 1 malfunctions). 
[Image: FAA2.jpg]
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
(05-16-2015, 09:05 PM)bufordtjustice Wrote: During extended use, burnt powder residue and other foreign  matter combined with excess heat can cause a round to not fully chamber( the bolt doesn't shut on its own).

Thanks Buford for all the great information here. I've always wondered what that plunger was for.
I have looked at the Ruger a couple of times but hadn't priced one just yet. I've never owned anything made by Ruger and have had some experience with S&W so I guess that's why I looked there first. There are so many AR makers or at least Lower makers out there I am just overwhelmed with trying to make a final decision. I would really like to own a good rifle. All I own are handguns and a riot shotgun in 12G. I am on a fixed income due to illness so spending close to $1000 is not something I take lightly. I need to make the right choice the first time.
JackRock, you must be right down the road from me. I'm in Lakewood as well.
(05-16-2015, 02:52 PM)PhilaBOR Wrote: If you buy the cheap gun you will regret it as long as you have it. If you do the layaway you will regret it for 6 months. And be happy with the gun you bought.
You could buy cheap and upgrade but will put more into it than buying the nice gun outright.

Just my $.02.

By the way Philabor, it wasn't lay a way, it was financing with a down payment. If I pay 5 or 6 hundred bucks, they will house finance the rest. First time I have ever heard of a gun shop doing that.
Oh, I forgot one question; Is the furniture changeable on just about all of the ARs? Seems like all of the base models have an old vietnam era M16 support hand. I would certainly want to change that to a long rail. Is that possible on the Ruger and the Smith?

Actually I guess I forgot more than one thing. If I buy an AR in a 18" barrel, or 16 for that matter, given the right optics, is this truly a viable gun for hunting medium game in North America?
(05-18-2015, 07:46 AM)drumvudu Wrote: ... given the right optics, is this truly a viable gun for hunting medium game in North America?
Begin bar fight.
The experts I listen to say IF you use the right ammo and IF you have good shot placement, .233/5.56 will work for white tail deer and similar game. Personally, I'd choose a more powerful cartridge to have that extra margin. There's probably somebody on the forum that has used .223.
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
-Pink Floyd...or was it Benjamin Franklin?
My understanding is that here in CO. The min legal cal. Is 243
(05-18-2015, 09:12 AM)bufordtjustice Wrote: My understanding is that here in CO. The min legal cal. Is 243

According to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife site, the minimum is either .24, .40, or .50, depending on the type of rifle and which animal you're hunting.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch02.pdf (pages 5-7)
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
Well now, that solves a problem. Don't have to worry about hunting! lol Actually, the entire problem is solved. I took some good advise and checked out the Ruger. Then bought it. Thanks!! Ric!
nice, I was going to get the Ruger in the next few days, but cant find one lol 
well I went to 5280 today, and guess what they had in stock ? yeppers the Ruger AR556 so I bought it.... should be able to fire it tomorrow, I hope
(06-06-2015, 03:41 PM)Ric Wrote: well I went to 5280 today, and guess what they had in stock ? yeppers the Ruger AR556 so I bought it.... should be able to fire it tomorrow, I hope

Good Deal! I got a killer deal on mine online. Bought mine from a little shop in a little town in Ohio. I love it though, I must say. It shoots very well.
(06-06-2015, 03:41 PM)Ric Wrote: well I went to 5280 today, and guess what they had in stock ? yeppers the Ruger AR556 so I bought it.... should be able to fire it tomorrow, I hope

So Ric, what do you think of your 556? I absolutely love mine. I'll tell you what I did. I bought the "Elite 452 Ruger AR Trigger". They claim it's a 4.5 two stage trigger group. Mine and two others we've tested are 3.5 lbs on a good pull scale. It makes the rifle just absolutely AMAZING. I highly recommend the upgrade. I liked my rifle a lot anyway but I do admit that mine had about an 8lb trigger pull which is way to much for my liking. 3.5-4.0# is heavy enough to be a great combat trigger and light enough to be a great target shooter. I freakin love it.