Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowling pin matches at Bristlecone shooting center
Not fair derailing the gunsmith note, sorry.

Bristlecone Shooting Center runs Bowling Pin Matches. Nothing says fun like reactive targets. If you haven't tried it, you should. Used to be really big around here in Colorado about 20 years ago. Haven't shot pins in about that long.

I'm going to try and make this on May 11th. Switching jobs at work and my current manager owes me a day, so before I have a new manager that doesn't owe me, I better take it!

If anyone from the 'springs is interested, you're welcome to ride up with me, probably leave from the North end of town about 3pm.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
I'll try and be there. I didn't make it yesterday. They were full up. I'm going to call today to reserve. You should too. Are you planning on 5 or 7 or both?
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(05-05-2015, 08:45 AM)Beau Wrote: I'll try and be there. I didn't make it yesterday. They were full up. I'm going to call today to reserve. You should too. Are you planning on 5 or 7 or both?

Sounds like I need to be there at 5 to be evaluated the first time. Do they have two runs and you can compete in both? If so, if I'm going to drive that far, I'll shoot both! Appears they open at 10, I'll give them a call then and get more details and sign up.

On edit: I was worried about how many bowling pin bullets I had left over from two decades ago. I have an unopened box of 500, so I'm good for testing out my old load, sighting in and two runs if that's possible!

O2
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
You can shoot both matches. And from what I heard they did set up prior and let people get some practice in for a small fee.
I can only make the 5pm slot as I have school M-Th which starts at 7pm.

I used my .40 at the last match with Federal target loads. They have 3 classifications of shooters.

Red: 3 pins set at back edge of table

Yellow: 4 pins set in middle of table (I shot as a yellow)

Green: 5 pins set at front edge of table.

It is a bit of an honor system on telling them what your skill level is. I imagine they reserve the right to bump you up a level if they feel you are classified under your ability.
When in doubt. JFC.

(05-05-2015, 09:43 AM)Beau Wrote: It is a bit of an honor system on telling them what your skill level is.

If it were me I'd tell 'em expert just so I had more pins to shoot at! :)

O2
(05-05-2015, 10:12 AM)O2HeN2 Wrote: If it were me I'd tell 'em expert just so I had more pins to shoot at! :)

O2

I thought the same thing. Problem is they make you stop shooting once one person clears their table. Helps reduce match times.
When in doubt. JFC.

(05-05-2015, 10:20 AM)Beau Wrote: I thought the same thing. Problem is they make you stop shooting once one person clears their table. Helps reduce match times.

Good to know. I'm signed up. Both matches. I was told you have to be there by 4:45 for the shooter's meeting.

I need to load me a $#!+load of bowling pin rounds before then!

O2
Having never done one of these types of matches, what defines a "bowling pin round"?
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
A bowling pin round is the heaviest bullet you can get to fit down the barrel at the highest velocity you can get away with safely (which isn't very fast).

Colorado Cast bullet in Montrose makes a 255gr, .452-sized (45ACP) LSWC. The sharp shoulder bites into the pin unlike a RN bullet which can be easily deflected.

It's a very heavy, very slow round. So slow you have to wait a few seconds after your last shot before you head downrange so you don't catch it in your back. :)

SWC or if you're shooting a revolver even a WC is a good bowling pin bullet. A round nose is the poorest.

Still means that you have to hit a business-card sized area from 21 feet away at about the fattest point of the pin in order to carry it off the table in one shot.

Gawd I can't wait!

O2
Okay. I was wondering, since the heaviest caliber I have is a 9mm (for now), so I may be a bit out-classed in such a match.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
My guess is that you'd be in the same class Beau's in, intermediate where there are only 4 pins and they're 2 feet from the back so you don't have to carry the pins back as far.

So come on out! It really is a lot of fun!

O2
(05-05-2015, 09:19 PM)O2HeN2 Wrote: My guess is that you'd be in the same class Beau's in, intermediate where there are only 4 pins and they're 2 feet from the back so you don't have to carry the pins back as far.

So come on out! It really is a lot of fun!

I will have to wait a few more weeks. I have finals this week and next. Then my summer gets super busy, but if I can find a little luck to match up a free evening with a few bucks, I will!
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
For anyone that's interested, here's a video on what a bowling pin shoot looks like (local rules may vary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kER_TtfGM7g

And here's a video that has some good tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhivl8u5d_U

O2
Okay. Sounds like I'd want to get some 147gr snub-nose rounds for this. Any ballpark figure on how many rounds I should procure?
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
(05-06-2015, 07:11 AM)JackRock Wrote: Okay. Sounds like I'd want to get some 147gr snub-nose rounds for this. Any ballpark figure on how many rounds I should procure?
I would say bring 100 rounds

I used less than 50 rounds last time. I brought 200. 

Depends on how accurate you are and how far you advance. They only allow 20 rounds (10 per mag) at the table per bracket. So shooting five times you could potentially use 100 rounds.
When in doubt. JFC.

(05-06-2015, 09:19 AM)Beau Wrote: I would say bring 100 rounds

I used less than 50 rounds last time. I brought 200. 

Depends on how accurate you are and how far you advance. They only allow 20 rounds (10 per mag) at the table per bracket. So shooting five times you could potentially use 100 rounds.
Thanks. That's the rest of the info i wad going to ask, as well.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
just got off the phone. they're already full for the 11th.
When in doubt. JFC.

So did you get a reservation earlier Beau, or are you shut out?

O2
Shut out. I could show up and see if they'll let me in. But it's a waste of time and gas if they won't. I'll decide on Monday if I want to chance it.
When in doubt. JFC.

Well if anyone makes it from this 'board, look for this shirt, come on over and say hi! I'll be sure to wear it on Monday:

[Image: cmshirt.jpg]