Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wyatt Earp on shooting vs. gunfighting
I found this post today taken from an interview with Wyatt Earp. The man was not always a shining example of integrity, but he did manage to live a long time in an era when being careless or stupid got you dead. What I saw in this interview was some advice that is as sound now as it was a hundred years ago.

http://looserounds.com/2015/04/23/wyatt-earp-on-shooting-vs-gunfighting/

On a side note, he brings up the practice of carrying the gun with the hammer on an empty chamber for safety. I also read somewhere that the old gunslingers would roll up a hundred dollar bill and keep it in that empty chamber, just in case they need to pay for their own funeral.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

That was a good read. He did mention that carrying on an empty chamber was usually because of hair trigger adjustments. I've never heard the $100 bill thing.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(05-03-2015, 09:11 PM)Beau Wrote:  He did mention that carrying on an empty chamber was usually because of hair trigger adjustments.

I watched a video by Hickock45 yesterday on why older revolvers needed to be carried on an empty chamber. Has to do with a lack of a transfer bar. 
Here's the vid in question.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
(05-03-2015, 09:14 PM)JackRock Wrote:  I watched a video by Hickock45 yesterday on why older revolvers needed to be carried on an empty chamber. Has to do with a lack of a transfer bar. 
Here's the vid in question.

I watched a Hickock45 vid yesterday too. It was on cleaning AR's. The guy is a youtube legend.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Amazing how many of the things he says are still good doctrine. The more things change...
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
-Pink Floyd...or was it Benjamin Franklin?
Revolvers of Earps youth would have had no "safety" , hammer block or transfer bar.
A sharp rap on the hammer could set them off.

Good read!