Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Carry into a public facility
Some of the nicest people I have ever met carry firearms on a daily basis. I do not understand some peoples thought process when it comes to firearms, it seriously baffles me how some are so blissfully ignorant. I'm wondering if its necessary to hire an attorney, or just talk to the prosecutor the day of.
(04-23-2015, 04:55 PM)cody.eimers Wrote: ...and the library staff that initially contacted me about the firearm the day of told me the officer came back to take a picture of it, and told them its in a bad location.

Go back and get their name and re-ask about the officer telling them it was in a bad location.

...all the while recording the conversation on your phone that's sitting in your shirt pocket. Recording is legal in Colorado as long as at least one of the parties (that'd be you) know it's being recorded.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
That is a good idea, I'll do that. Every bit of evidence I get will help my case out, just have to be discreet about it
Would trying to talk to the prosecutor before the court appearance be a bad idea? I have never really been in trouble with the law besides minor traffic violations.
No. Let the lawyer handle that. And please don't take any "deals" they might offer. You did nothing wrong. If they don't outright drop the charge, fight them. I would donate to your defense and I bet others would as well.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Any update on this?
When in doubt. JFC.

I would love to know what happened here. Very curios.
Men are only anti-gun until the first time they fail to defend their families
The Patriot Act was the most unpatriotic act our Congress has ever enacted. ABOLISH THE FED.
My bet is that the lawyer told him not to speak about the case until it is resolved. Hopefully he comes back to fill us in.
When in doubt. JFC.

Bumping this to update, went to a pre trial conference earlier, the current city attorney took the day off to go to a grad party, the attorney there did not feel comfortable dismissing it, so we continued to today which is June 22 2015. The case was dismissed. Though I should not have had to go back a second time since the first city attorney had the authority to do so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
(06-22-2015, 12:37 PM)cody.eimers Wrote: Bumping this to update, went to a pre trial conference earlier, the current city attorney took the day off to go to a grad party, the attorney there did not feel comfortable dismissing it, so we continued to today which is June 22 2015. The case was dismissed. Though I should not have had to go back a second time since the first city attorney had the authority to do so.

Did you have to pay any legal fees? 
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
Nothing besides what it cost to hire my attorney.

Are you planning to take action against the department?
When in doubt. JFC.

Think I should? What would be the best approach for something like that?

I'm sure your attorney can counsel you in this area (counsel for which you will pay for), but I suggest that you start by reading the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act (CRS 24-10-101 through 120).  It sets out what Colorado governmental agencies may and may not be sued for.  Start with 24-10-108. Sovereign immunity a bar

"Except as provided in section 24-10-104 to 24-10-106, sovereign immunity shall be a bar to any action against a public entity for injury which lies in tort or could lie in tort regardless of whether that may be the type of action or the form of relief chosen by a claimant. If a public entity raises the issue of sovereign immunity prior to or after the commencement of discovery, the court shall suspend discovery, except any discovery necessary to decide the issue of sovereign immunity, and shall decide such issue on motion. The court's decision on such motion shall be a final judgment and shall be subject to interlocutory appeal."

Thus, whether you can make a claim in a Colorado court (federal court is a different matter) depends on whether the action you complain about fall under 24-10-104, 105 or 106.

The statutes also set out the procedure you must follow in any lawsuit against a governmental agency.  Said differently, if you fail to follow the procedure, your lawsuit gets tossed.

Colorado statutes are published by Lexis at this website

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
Glad to hear you didn't have to pay any legal fees.
Loveland DMV has a similar sign *inside* the facility (no public display of weapons). I'm thinking about challenging it.

What I've found is that if you take your iphone/android and clip it to your shirt collar it acts as a body cam and nobody notices.
(06-27-2015, 09:43 AM)MarkS Wrote: I'm sure your attorney can counsel you in this area (counsel for which you will pay for), but I suggest that you start by reading the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act (CRS 24-10-101 through 120).  It sets out what Colorado governmental agencies may and may not be sued for.  Start with 24-10-108. Sovereign immunity a bar

Pretty one could get a free 30 min consultation for this.