Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Couple Misc Recommendations
My brother, sister and I recently attended a 2-day handgun class at Frontsight NV.  IMHO, they offer excellent training to include presentation from concealment under time pressure, clearing malfunctions under time pressure and a rudimentary shoot house, which you cannot do at the run of the mill indoor range.  In addition, they present an excellent series of lectures on the civil and criminal liability of using your weapons.  They also offer gunsmithing for Glocks, Springfields, Garands, and 1911s (I don't own a 1911, but took my Browning Hi Power (the gun John Moses Browning developed AFTER the 1911 (and corrected the 1911 design issues Popcorn2 )) and followed along nicely.  I stripped the gun down to the frame for the 1st time in 40 years and put it back together without any parts left over.

In a 2 day class, you fire around 250 rounds, the 4 day class chews up around 800 rounds.  I took my sister to the 4 day class, and by the end, we did not know our names.  The 4 day rifle class has you shooting from positions that old men can ungracefully get into, but not out of Rolleyesedit .  It left me bruised along my right side (shooting a M1A, not one of them black plastic guns by Mattel).  Walking 100-200 yards to check and tape targets left me pretty bushed.

The ranges are top notch.  They have a full service armorer on site, an ammo supplier (who got bullets when no one else could) and a pro-shop with loads of holsters and gun-related apparel.  They offer classes in handgun, rifle, shotgun, submachine gun, knifes, unarmed combat and a ropes/rappelling class.  About 400-800 people attend classes every week.  About 1/3rd are women, 1/4th are kids under 18. (my guesses)  Lots of families.  People from overseas from countries where guns are illegal or effectively (UK, Australia, France, Canada).  One group of 4 guys drove from NY to NV to take the class.

It's worthwhile, but you have to endure the internet market machine that built the business.

https://www.frontsight.com/

2nd recommendation.  My sister -- who had had only one handgun class and have never handled a handgun before -- dramatically outshot almost everyone in our range (about 40 people).  She attributes it to her new Walther PPX, which fit her hand much better than Glocks, Springfields, Sigs, etc.  It allowed her to reach the magazine release with her thumb without having to break her firing grip.  Most useful in malfunction drills.  The instructors, when they saw her groups on the target said "You need to shoot much faster."  The Walther is a double action only with one of the best triggers on the market.  Nice gun, good price point.

My brother and I told her that because we live in Colorado, we can't buy a 16 round gun, like the Walther, because our Colorado government believe those are dangerous and the people who own them will inevitably become mass murderers.  <sigh>
(03-01-2015, 03:43 PM)MarkS Wrote: My brother and I told her that because we live in Colorado, we can't buy a 16 round gun, like the Walther, because our Colorado government believe those are dangerous and the people who own them will inevitably become mass murderers.  <sigh>

Which is obviously not true; they've done everything they could to make us boil over with rage and it hasn't happened.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
308 Fan Wrote:Which is obviously not true; they've done everything they could to make us boil over with rage and it hasn't happened.

ThumbsUp Exactly, If we were what they claim we are there wouldn't be any of them left to make claims. Smilieshoot
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.