Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bristlecone Shooting Center - Lakewood, CO
Bristlecone just opened up this last weekend in Lakewood. They're still filling out some merchandise and rental inventory, but it's already swinging.

As for the rest, I put my review on my website:
http://ryancash.co/2015/01/30/bristlecone-shooting-center-members-only-day/
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
How long are the range lanes, pistol and tactical?
Both are 25 meters long right now.

They have tentative plans for an underground range for longer shots with rifles. However, that's going to be a long ways off, and they need to build up equity and capital before they can begin construction. Mostly right now, it's in the "It would be nice to..." phase.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
Thanks for the review. Because of your review we went up there on Saturday and tried the place out. Nice range, nice people. Wife even rented some different pistols to tryout while we were there. I shot mostly 9mm, but I also brought along my M1 carbine, was the first time I've shot it inside on targets, was nice to really verify how accurate it is for a 70 year old rifle. I'm also truly getting spoiled by these ranges with the digital target systems.
Looking forward to dropping by sometime soon to check it out. I met the owner Bryan Clark last night at an Evergreen Tea Party meeting for 2A issues.
I'm hoping to take a date there on valentine's .
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Well I didn't make it there for V-Day but I did make it there this week. I took my mother, who is in the market for a semi-auto, to try out a couple different firearms.

Let me start with this. Bristlecone is one of the best shop/range I've been to in a long time. The staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. One of the range officers, RW of RW Firearms Training, was even nice enough to give me a tritium front sight for one of my pistols from his personal parts box. He then came out to the range and let my mother run a couple mags through his Buckmark .22.

The range was clean and has one of the best ventilation systems I've encountered in a while. The electronic target systems are great and have programs built in that will automatically change distances and target presentation. They also allow holster draw once they qualify you to do so.

Their handgun rental selection was top notch. I would guess they had around 50 pistols to choose from and I was told they plan on adding a lot more.

This is definitely a place I will visit again and will definitely take my mother back to try more handguns.
When in doubt. JFC.

Sounds like a winner.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(02-20-2015, 08:42 PM)Beau Wrote: Well I didn't make it there for  V-Day but I did make it there this week. I took my mother, who is in the market for a semi-auto, to try out a couple different firearms.

Let me start with this. Bristlecone is one of the best shop/range I've been to in a long time. The staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. One of the range officers, RW of RW Firearms Training, was even nice enough to give me a tritium front sight for one of my pistols from his personal parts box. He then came out to the range and let my mother run a couple mags through his Buckmark .22.

The range was clean and has one of the best ventilation systems I've encountered in a while. The electronic target systems are great and have programs built in that will automatically change distances and target presentation. They also allow holster draw once they qualify you to do so.

Their handgun rental selection was top notch. I would guess they had around 50 pistols to choose from and I was told they plan on adding a lot more.

This is definitely a place I will visit again and will definitely take my mother back to try more handguns.

Yeah, RW was the one that did my holster qualification test. I passed with the quick qualification on the first day it was open to non-members. Due to the fact that I am a charter member, I think I visited the range 3 times in the first weekend alone, and the shop four or five times - we wound up buying another Walther that weekend. 

I've also brought several friends and family members, some of whom were first time shooters. I plan to bring my mother shortly, as well as my sister in law. After I introduced my nephew to shooting, and his dad (my brother) to pistol shooting there, the ladies suddenly decided they were curious enough to get over their anti-gun tendencies to try it out in a controlled environment. Hell yeah!

The prices I've found are either on par, or below par, for other nearby ranges. And my membership has nearly paid for itself in a scant month (I go often as I can!).

Concerning the ventilation: My wife and I visited when they were still in construction, and we asked about that. Up until that point, The Shootist was our place to go - for cost reasons alone. But they assured us the ventilation would be up to snuff, and they've had a chance to prove it many times over. 

Now, those who know me personally are keenly aware of the fact that I refuse to endorse a business - especially before it's opened - unless I firmly believe to my core it's the right kind of business. I bought a membership when they were still 30% off, almost three months before opening, because of my belief. And that the owners are heavily looking into women-only events, means that I can give my wife, sister, niece and mother a chance to learn more in a less testosterone-filled environment. I really would like to see them get over the fact that I and my wife are going to continue to carry our guns (wife gets her permit next month, I hope). 

Anyway, if any of you are planning a weekend visit anytime in the next several weeks, hit me up! Even if my budget doesn't allow me to shoot that day, I'd still love to meet other COGO members in person. I live literally 0.8 miles from the range, so it's not exactly out of my way.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
Awesome review JackRock. I never thought I would toot the horn of a gun shop on a public forum but yet here I am. The place is great. They even took the time to listen to a suggestion I had about putting in some type of cross section backstop in between their pistol displays so that customers do not accidentally point guns at other people while checking out a possible new purchase.
When in doubt. JFC.

I hope to be there tomorrow, but not sure what time, yet. Hopefully another couple friends of mine will be coming, too.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
(03-07-2015, 03:37 PM)JackRock Wrote: I hope to be there tomorrow, but not sure what time, yet. Hopefully another couple friends of mine will be coming, too.

Keep updated. Maybe I can meet up there also. AR15firing
When in doubt. JFC.

(03-07-2015, 06:20 PM)Beau Wrote: Keep updated. Maybe I can meet up there also. AR15firing

Looks like I'll be going to breakfast at Nick's Cafe (about 8th and Union), then off to the range. So I figure I'll be there from about 11:15a to maybe 12:30p.

I'm wearing jeans and a blue paid over shirt. 5' 6", overweight with half-framed glasses and short brown hair. Probably will be hanging around my wife, who is wearing her MSU hoodie.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
Crap. I was looking at an unadjusted clock. Add an hour to those times.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
I was in church until noon and then grocery shopping. Maybe next time.
When in doubt. JFC.

Hopefully, next time, I can give you more than an hour and a half's notice.

I tend to go on Saturdays anyway, so hopefully church won't be in the way next time! :)
JackRock
Lakewood, CO