Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
132 year old winchester found propped against a tree
Check this out-- when it comes to old firearms, we always wonder "if this gun could only talk" to learn about it's history. I'd really like for this one to be able to talk.

They found a Winchester model 1873 manufactured in 1882 propped up against a tree in a desert, apparently left and forgotten for maybe 100 years...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/15/us/nevada-century-old-rifle-park/index.html

Looks like a park service worker discovered it.

What would you do if you'd found it, would you have notified the park service?
Amazing find

I grew up in Indiana andin that environment you would have found a rusted chunk of metal probably not distinguishable as a rifle at all , and no wood.

The desert environment has always intrigued me, ever since a trip to mesa verde.
They have stone tools on display with the wood handles and even the sinew that binds them together.
Things can last literally thousands of years in the desert. This is in large part why we know so much about Egypt and are learning a lot about the civilizations that lived along the very dry Peruvian coast of S. America starting in about 3000BC (well before the Inca).
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Back in the late 1950s, while out in the Shenandoah Mountain area (Virginia), we found a rusted knife stuck in a tree. Researching it, it was very likely from the Civil War.

As for the 1873 Winchester found in the National Park, I doubt anyone would deliberately leave it behind (as some clueless news media articles suggest, even if it cost "only" $25 in 1882), but rather it was lost, or, the owner was killed by Indians or bandits...and it wasn't noticed. Still, people in those days usually had their guns WITH them at all times...so it definitely is a mystery.

I guess if I found it, I'd make a GWAG (Ghost With A Gun) call to the park rangers immediately...being the frightened (of guns) liberal that I am. After all, there are way too many guns laying around unattended out there in National Parks, so the more we get them out of the bushes/trees and from in between rocks the better for us all, and we'll be much safer. The wildlife as well. Imagine a poor innocent fawn finding it -- kids and guns don't mix.

;-)
being the frightened (of guns) liberal that I am.

That made me LOL; if there's one thing you ain't it's a liberal as the word is understood today.

Imagine a poor innocent fawn finding it -- kids and guns don't mix.

Fawns? Kids? Oh, you mean bambinos.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Thank God one of the mom's against guns wasn't out there hiking around and found it, no doubt I'd assume it's loaded and she would have sued the park service for not doing enough to protect her children from guns lying around in the national parks. LOL
Steve,

Good point: If Bambi had found that gun, he -- since deer are unfamiliar with firearms to begin with (except on the receiving end, of course) -- could have had an accidental discharge and instead of an "evil" hunter shooting his Mom, Bambi would have. Additionally, it's hard to manipulate a firearm safely if you have hooves instead of hands with fingers and an opposable thumb.

Imagine a fawn having to live with that knowledge -- being a M-Ker (Mother-Killer) -- the rest of his life...

;-)
the horror...
132 years and it never killed anyone. Amazing. It was the Assault Rifle of its day. :)
It was the rifle that won the west, so maybe it deserved a day off, to lean against a tree and take a break...
Why can't I ever find cool stuff like that?
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.