Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to reload .357 subsonic...
...for an SBRed Contender with a .357 Magnum barrel.

Any problem using .38 Special data for a larger-volume powder like 540 for instance (have a ton of the stuff) in a .357 case?

I've got some 158gr JHPs and my [old, since 540 is no longer produced] Winchester reloading manual lists 6.6gr of 540 for a max load in .38 special resulting in 800 fps. In the 10" barrel that'll be higher, but I figure 6.6 would be a good starting point (no, no desire to go up in charge, only down if necessary).

Thoughts?

O2

Ps. Would rather shoot .357 cases to avoid the bathtub ring in front of the shorter .38 special case...
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
Maybe a problem. With a larger 357 case there's always the chance of under charging using 38 data. The last thing we want is a stuck bullet.

I have load books going back to the 70's. Sometimes I find loads in one that aren't in the others. When I have time tomorrow I'll check and see if one has 357 data for the 540 powder. If you have any other powder, let me know and I'll check for it too.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

(12-23-2014, 05:39 PM)Highwayman Wrote: Maybe a problem. With a larger 357 case there's always the chance of under charging using 38 data. The last thing we want is a stuck bullet.

I have load books going back to the 70's. Sometimes I find loads in one that aren't in the others. When I have time tomorrow I'll check and see if one has 357 data for the 540 powder. If you have any other powder, let me know and I'll check for it too.
I've got 540 data, so that's covered. Not worried about a stuck bullet -- since it's a single shot, if I get a stuck bullet I'll know to hammer it out and go back to the drawing board! :)

I'm mostly concerned about the detonation phenomenon, which I don't believe is a problem with a pistol case, but I'm just checking!

O2
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
I have only heard of detonation in bottle necked cases.

With a strong action like that I would try it.

I have loaded 38 with as little as 2gr of red dot with no trouble

My father used to buy .358 lead balls and tap them to the bottom of a case , the only propelant was a magnum primer.
We shot them indoors at a trap, they would bury themselves flush in a pine board.
A little factiod I got from posting this on a NFA-related board that deals a lot with subsonics is that Hodgdon HS-6 and WW 540 are the same powder! I guess this rumor was around for years, but with WW 540 being discontinued, Hodgdon could come "out of the closet" and post it, clear as day on their web page (scroll down to HS-6 and read the next to last sentence): http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

Yup, gonna try a 6.6gr loading and see how it goes!

O2
On a similar note win 231 and hp38 are the same powder packaged in 2 different containers.