Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was told I couldn't carry hunting.
So my step brother says that it is absolutely illegal to carry a pistol while bow hunting in Colorado. I figure maybe some law got passed I didn't know about. I've rechecked and checked again the C.R.S. and DOW regs and come up with nothing. Has anyone else heard this rumor going around?
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

I have not. I'd suggest that your SB cite his source.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
Did a quick search and found a discussion on this on a n archery board...

Quote:Generally a person is allowed to carry (not concealed) a sidearm while on public lands within Colorado including during a hunting season. There are exceptions for persons convicted of a felony to be in possession of any firearm. During hunting seasons, if a person is hunting, there may be additional specific requirements to the caliber of the firearm if it is being used to hunt. If the firearm is a sidearm and is carried for personal protection during a hunting season, there are no restrictions and during hunting seasons, firearms may be carried under clothing as the concealed carry laws exempt persons who carry during and participate in a hunting season.
[Source: CDOW - verbatim reply S.D.

http://www.flippinarrows.com/index.php?topic=954.0

I would call Parks and Wildlife and ask.
I suppose that makes a good point. I read the question as asked - "illegal to carry" - but there may be an element missing in the SB's claim. Based on my understanding, it is NOT illegal to carry, unless some draconian law got passed in recent weeks with nary a flutter of notice (unlikely).

What is more likely, is that your SB read something about using a handgun AS the hunting weapon - which would be prohibited in a lot of cases, primarily concerned with what you were hunting, not where or just that you were hunting. For example, if memory serves, you cannot hunt deer with a 9mm handgun, as the chances of a kill shot are pretty low, and all you'd do is make the animal suffer needlessly (that's the justification for the rule, not hard fact).

Most likely this is just a misunderstanding of the laws/regulations.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
(09-06-2014, 09:45 PM)JackRock Wrote: For example, if memory serves, you cannot hunt deer with a 9mm handgun, as the chances of a kill shot are pretty low, and all you'd do is make the animal suffer needlessly (that's the justification for the rule, not hard fact).

Well I guess it's good that I can resist the temptation to take out the deer who show up on my ranch fairly frequently while I am carrying (one of) my nine(s). The number of times I could have done so in the last six months is...fairly large. Hunting in one's own yard?

(Yeah, I know--you need tags, etc. and it has to be the season, or it's poaching...)
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
I just chalked it up to the rumor mill. I thought I had heard them all till I heard that one. Spent the last two days bow hunting in the Arapahoe National Forest with my pistol on my hip.

Came across a pretty cool sign at a shop in Granby;

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

When in doubt. JFC.

Suddenly I have this desire to go to Granby and spend some cash...
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(09-07-2014, 07:56 AM)308 Fan Wrote: Well I guess it's good that I can resist the temptation to take out the deer who show up on my ranch fairly frequently while I am carrying (one of) my nine(s). The number of times I could have done so in the last six months is...fairly large.

Well, if one of them bum rushes you with a knife, or pulls out a gun of their own - I'd say shoot away. But until then, those hunting regs get to stand.Bacondance
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
(09-07-2014, 10:24 PM)308 Fan Wrote: Suddenly I have this desire to go to Granby and spend some cash...

Spend is exactly what I've been doing. That camo I'm wearing cost me $400. Hopefully it will last for the next 20 years though. Assuming I don't outgrow it on the horizontal anyway.

We also stopped at Maverick's Grille, City Market, Ace Hardware and another Tackle shop. Being that we were in full camo and war paint we drew a lot of attention and pretty much everyone noticed we were armed. Pretty much no one seemed to care.Thumbsup
When in doubt. JFC.

(09-07-2014, 10:25 PM)JackRock Wrote: Well, if one of them bum rushes you with a knife, or pulls out a gun of their own - I'd say shoot away. But until then, those hunting regs get to stand.Bacondance

Please, everyone knows that all you have to do is yell "it's comin' right for us!", and then you can blast away. AR15firing
When in doubt. JFC.

(09-08-2014, 08:39 AM)Beau Wrote: Please, everyone knows that all you have to do is yell "it's comin' right for us!", and then you can blast away. AR15firing
Oh. I've been doing it ALL wrong. I'll have to tell my suburbia neighbors in Lakewood about this. :D
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
so this brings up a good opportunity for me to piggy back on this topic, I've been reading everything I can and have concluded the same as you guys that
open carry of a side arm while hunting is OK and is not considered concealed while hunting.

nuances though, I will be accompanying some friends bow hunting. I myself will not be hunting. have no bow (not yet) and no time to have finished hunters ed in time for the trip. As far as I gather, if I open carry, I'm safe. but, technically, I'm not "in the act of lawfully hunting" if I'm just hanging out with them, am I? so I need to be careful about accidentally concealing my sidearm with a jacket or what not?
also, it makes no reference specifically to "fishing". Does anybody know about any precedent or verbiage somewhere that considers fishing and hunting to be the same, thus allowing for the exemption from the concealed carry portion?

this would all be so much simpler if I just got off my ass and applied for my dam ccw permit already.
which, off topic, does colorado require specific firearms to be listed and approved on your permit, or can i get approved now and when I get my dream ccw gun use that without having to update the permit?
(09-08-2014, 11:12 PM)shortround13 Wrote: which, off topic, does colorado require specific firearms to be listed and approved on your permit, or can i get approved now and when I get my dream ccw gun use that without having to update the permit?

The permit has your name on it, not your gun's. A good thing since I have CCed three different guns in the last year and will probably do so with a fourth (very recently purchased) here just as soon as it gets cold enough that I have to wear a jacket regularly.

Biggun
(09-08-2014, 11:12 PM)shortround13 Wrote: so this brings up a good opportunity for me to piggy back on this topic, I've been reading everything I can and have concluded the same as you guys that
open carry of a side arm while hunting is OK and is not considered concealed while hunting.

nuances though, I will be accompanying some friends bow hunting. I myself will not be hunting. have no bow (not yet) and no time to have finished hunters ed in time for the trip. As far as I gather, if I open carry, I'm safe. but, technically, I'm not "in the act of lawfully hunting" if I'm just hanging out with them, am I? so I need to be careful about accidentally concealing my sidearm with a jacket or what not?
also, it makes no reference specifically to "fishing". Does anybody know about any precedent or verbiage somewhere that considers fishing and hunting to be the same, thus allowing for the exemption from the concealed carry portion?

this would all be so much simpler if I just got off my ass and applied for my dam ccw permit already.
which, off topic, does colorado require specific firearms to be listed and approved on your permit, or can i get approved now and when I get my dream ccw gun use that without having to update the permit?

First, a little nit picking. In Colorado it is called a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit). Some counties still call them CWP's but they are wrong to do so.

I think you've figured out that while engaged in lawful hunting activities you can conceal without a CHP. You're first paragraph made me wonder if you understood that though.

In my opinion. Accompanying hunters on a hunt would qualify as being engaged in a lawful hunting activity. I would think that you would be able to conceal without issue. Since Colorado does not have a "duty to notify" law you wouldn't need to convey that you were carrying if you did have an encounter.

I do not know of anything that states that fishing and hunting would be considered the same for the purposes of carrying a firearm. It makes sense to me that they would though.

Sorry I'm not more help. If I were you though I wouldn't be worried about concealing while hunting with them.
When in doubt. JFC.