Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longs Peak...Part Deux
gonna try again on Sept 6th. Leaving about 10 pm or so up the trailhead get to the summit early and be off the mountain before 11 am. no camping. just a long hike to the summit and back.

anyone else wants to join let me know. gonna get it done this time!
Sig Sauer P250 .40 S&W sub-compact
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Remington 870 12 ga. pump shotgun
Uncle Mike's Sling Mounts & Hooks | 15 shell sling | 56 shell bandolier | 25 shell belt | 4 chokes | Synthetic Black
10 shot Briley Extension Tube | Plano takedown hardcase

Custom Built AR-15
Surplus Arms & Ammo AR-15 Lower | 5.56 NATO or .223 compatible |
UTG 6 pt adjustable rear stock and buffer spring | Leapers UTG 3x12x44 SWAT Accushot - EZ Tap w/ illuminated reticle |
UTG Adjustable bi-pod | UTG ring scope mounts | Blackthorne 5.56 NATO Upper w/ 20" Bull Varmint Stainless Steel Barrel |
Magpul handguards w/ Delta Ring conventional gas tube setup (no piston) | Chrome Del-ton Bolt Carrier Group | DMPS Charging Handle |
DMPS Trigger | Magpul Trigger Guard | ProMag AR-15/M4 Heavy Duty Recoil Pad | 3 point SWAT Sling and sling hooks |
Nebo Tactical Flashlight and Laser Combo | 3 magpul picatinny rail mounts | Tactical Ergonomic Pistol Grip |
TMS Sling Swivel w/ Base | (20) - 30 round magazines |

Draw
(08-14-2014, 08:42 PM)HannahBearCo Wrote: Leaving about 10 pm or so up the trailhead get to the summit early and be off the mountain before 11 am.

Are your times correct? You are planning on an all night hike up Longs Peak?
(08-15-2014, 06:04 PM)TAC Wrote: Are your times correct? You are planning on an all night hike up Longs Peak?

yes. times are correct. the night portion will be from the trailhead to the keyhole. we are allowing extra time since it is such a long hike. we will break at the keyhole till sun up to rest and gauge weather conditions and wind. if its safe to continue we will press on to the summit. if not we will turn around and go back.

the original plan was to summit just before sunrise but I dont feel comfortable navigating the ledges and the narrows in the dark and I dont feel its worth the risk just to watch a sunrise from on top of a mountain.

thunderstorms and lightning begin to form around 10 - 11 am. best to be well below tree line when they do. as well as the wind really likes to pickup along the ledges and narrows when those storms form.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Uncle Mike's Sling Mounts & Hooks | 15 shell sling | 56 shell bandolier | 25 shell belt | 4 chokes | Synthetic Black

Custom Built AR-15
UTG 6 pt adjustable rear stock and buffer spring | Leapers UTG 3x12x44 SWAT Accushot - EZ Tap w/ illuminated reticle |
UTG Adjustable bi-pod | UTG ring scope mounts | Blackthorne 5.56 NATO Upper w/ 20" Bull Varmint Stainless Steel Barrel |
Magpul handguards w/ Delta Ring conventional gas tube setup (no piston) | Chrome Del-ton Bolt Carrier Group | DMPS Charging Handle |
DMPS Trigger | Magpul Trigger Guard | ProMag AR-15/M4 Heavy Duty Recoil Pad | 3 point SWAT Sling and sling hooks |
Nebo Tactical Flashlight and Laser Combo | 3 magpul picatinny rail mounts | Tactical Ergonomic Pistol Grip |

Draw
I believe the moon will be out during that time frame, should be waning gibbous and plenty bright (I didn't look it up but I'm extrapolating from what's going on now).
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Sounds like fun. Don't think I'm in good enough shape for that though.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(08-15-2014, 11:43 PM)308 Fan Wrote: I believe the moon will be out during that time frame, should be waning gibbous and plenty bright (I didn't look it up but I'm extrapolating from what's going on now).

that sucks! I was hoping for no moon so I could get some awesome shots of the night sky and stars and Milky Way with the camera.

but who knows, maybe it will set in time for me to do that.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
If it is waning, it won't set until after sunrise. The good news is, I was wrong, it will be waxing gibbous. The bad news is, it will be nearly full and won't set until almost sunrise.

Until you posted this last time, I thought you'd rather have the moonlight so you could see where you were going. Stumbling around in pitch black seems like a pretty bad idea to me, but your mileage may vary.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
(08-16-2014, 10:31 PM)308 Fan Wrote: If it is waning, it won't set until after sunrise. The good news is, I was wrong, it will be waxing gibbous. The bad news is, it will be nearly full and won't set until almost sunrise.

Until you posted this last time, I thought you'd rather have the moonlight so you could see where you were going. Stumbling around in pitch black seems like a pretty bad idea to me, but your mileage may vary.

that sucks. :(

I dont want the moon out so I can get photos of the night sky. we have flashlights and headlamps on our heads to light the path. Stopping at the keyhole till sunrise to rest, eat and re-energize before continuing to the summit.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
well the hike didnt happen.

my hiking party bailed because of ice/snow past the keyhole, my car broke down and is out of commission (burned valves in the head) and I moved into my new studio apt this weekend.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
Aw, bummer, Hannah. Maybe next summer (and check the phase of the moon). This time of year the summer triangle is right overhead about 10 PM; a dense part of the milky way.

Which reminds me on the 11th of last month, just before sunrise it was possible to see both Jupiter and Venus in the same telescope field of view. Now that's being a lazy-ass astronomer.

Biggun
Sounds fun. Obviously missed the hike but will keep an eye out for future treks
never mind. damn appointments keep getting in the way.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw