Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cherry Creek State Park Family Shooting Center
finally broke out the AR-15 and my Sig Sauer and took a friend and we went to the shooting range at Cherry Creek State Park this week.

$9 park admittance
$16.50 per adult to shoot per day.

not too shabby. plus they have a food stand to buy drinks and hot dogs, chips, and other food.

Had to bore sight the AR-15 in. i guess 1200 miles in the trunk from TN to CO and being thrown in a storage unit was too much to hope it would retain its accuracy lol.

I really need to get a Pelican case for it soon. then i wont have that problem. but once we got it sighted in, it wasnt too bad. had a great time letting some lead fly down range. nice to blow off some steam. :)

I liked the range, nice setup. The tenants on duty were a little anal about a few things but nothing major. It was especially annoying that I couldnt walk the upper after it was separated from the lower to the table behind the yellow line. have to do it all in front of the yellow line. hello McFly...its DISSASSEMBLED!!! but whatever, I digress.

aside from that I would go back. Fairly priced and outdoors.
I still haven't been there. Seems pricey when I can go use the neighbors 100 yard range for free. I would still like to check it out though.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

they were one of the cheaper ranges in the area.
(07-11-2014, 10:32 PM)HannahBearCo Wrote: they were one of the cheaper ranges in the area.

Website shows $16.50 per person, plus you pay to get in the park unless you have an annual pass.
I like the Cherry creek range during the week. Too busy on weekends though.
These are some of the few positive experiences I've heard about that place. Typically everyone I know who shoots avoids that place after their first time there. Complaints of the range natzi's abound.
(09-28-2014, 05:43 PM)mfinley919 Wrote: These are some of the few positive experiences I've heard about that place. Typically everyone I know who shoots avoids that place after their first time there. Complaints of the range natzi's abound.

range nazi might be a bit harsh. they have some strict guidelines with how they want things done, but it wasnt anything unbearable or unreasonable.
Don't they have some sort of 3 seconds or 5 seconds between trigger pulls rule or something like that, don't they have some sort of rule about iron site rigles can only be shot at 50 yards or less?
They don't really like double taps or rapid fire, they do control the range pretty tight. Which is good because of all the new shooters and families that go there. I don't find it unreasonable that they are strict about safety, especially with the idiot paramilitary wannabes next to me.

I shoot my 30-30 lever gun at 100+ yards all the time. They do ask you to have the guns at least bore sighted beforehand. They don't like people missing their targets.
(10-15-2014, 04:31 PM)mfinley919 Wrote: Don't they have some sort of 3 seconds or 5 seconds between trigger pulls rule or something like that, don't they have some sort of rule about iron site rigles can only be shot at 50 yards or less?

one round per second is the limit.

no rapid fire.

never heard any rules on iron sights other than if they see your sights are off you have to bore sight your rifle before you can continue
That whole one round per second rule kills it for me. They probably don't let you draw form a holster either. What is the point of paying to go somewhere to practice if you can't actually practice? I would rather just spend $20 on a match fee. Shoot most of the day, run fast, shoot fast, draw and shoot, shoot off hand, one handed, sitting, kneeling etc..
When in doubt. JFC.

Did my first IDPA match up at Clear Creek last month, was a lot of fun, definitely the best practice I've ever gotten to do. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather holds for the November one.
After thinking about it and talking with a guy that used to teach, I can see the reason for ranges geared toward the novice. Everyone starts somewhere. Some people need these types of restrictions as they are not ready to move on.
When in doubt. JFC.

I'm told that my range is specifically members-only (though you can bring a guest using a guest pass) for this very sort of reason. They studied the matter and found out "public" ranges tended to be a LOT less safe. At my range you are allowed to do mag dumps. You can even draw from a holster once you've shown them you arent the sort of idiot who sweeps the other people as you do so--they put a note in their system that you are OK so you don't have to do it every time. (I don't think cross draw and shoulder holsters are allowed, period, for that reason).
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Anyone heard that the Army Corp of Engineers is looking to shut down the range at Cherry Creek? It was brought up at the Bob Beauprez campaign visit over at BluCore. One of the NRA reps at the meeting had heard about it but was trying to gather more details.

Apparently something related to the classroom building they put up. I do notice that on the familyshootingcenter.com website, they have an ad trying to sell the clubhouse/classroom building. So maybe they just need to get rid of that. Some unauthorized berm was also mentioned but I didn't hear any specifics.