Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
building a super light weight upper?
i currently have the bull varmint barrel on my ar-15 which makes mine a bit on the heavy side.

i like it for long range (400-800 yards) shooting but it is not ideal for close quarters or urban combat situations.

so instead of building a whole new ar-15, thinking about just building a complete upper. the lower and the stock are pretty lightweight by themselves.

any recommendations for the upper and barrel? prefer not to have to go NFA but if I need to i will.

i want a sbr, extremely lightweight and short.
I don't have any recommendations, but I'm glad to see you're adding to your collection again, rather than selling.Bacondance
A couple of random thoughts.

The easy way to do this is short = light, so you may want to SBR. Besides, SBRs are fun to have and no one will sit anywhere near you on the range because they'll all think you're committing a felony. :)

.223 through a short barrel is pleasant only if you're in the next county.

If your optics are going to be only on the upper receiver, go with a simple round barrel shroud. Aluminum if you want cheap, carbon fiber if you're willing to pay for the weight reduction.

If you want backup iron sights (you know how long I puzzled over what "BUIS" meant in the forums?), get a barrel shroud with only the rail on top and/or one with bolt-on rails so you can have a flashlight as well, for example. Just don't get a quad-rail monstrosity/boat anchor. Another alternative is a gas block with a front sight and then you could still stick with the round shroud (and a pop-up rear sight).

...and consider 300 BLK if you want something for CQB. Since it's almost a pistol cartridge, the concussion out of a short barrel is far less.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
I just saw this about ArmaLite having a sale on uppers. Might be worth a look.

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/04/looking-upper-armalite-holding-major-mcarmalite-sale/
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

I think I'm ready to start a build. Starting to price lowers.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

If you're interested in a Shadow Ops Billet lower (anodized, multi-cal, safe-fire) which is shipping to me next week, I'm selling it for $180, buyer pays transfer fees (all laws must be followed, blah, blah).

It came in 8.5 months too late for my projects.

O2

(but I am keeping one -- I ordered two :)).
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
(03-08-2014, 12:20 PM)O2HeN2 Wrote: If you're interested in a Shadow Ops Billet lower (anodized, multi-cal, safe-fire) which is shipping to me next week, I'm selling it for $180, buyer pays transfer fees (all laws must be followed, blah, blah).

It came in 8.5 months too late for my projects.

O2

(but I am keeping one -- I ordered two :)).

Any custom engraving on it?
When in doubt. JFC.

Nope, just multi-cal and safe-fire.

O2
(03-08-2014, 10:42 PM)O2HeN2 Wrote: Nope, just multi-cal and safe-fire.

O2

If you still have it then I'll let you know by end of next week.
When in doubt. JFC.

(03-04-2014, 12:43 PM)HannahBearCo Wrote: i currently have the bull varmint barrel on my ar-15 which makes mine a bit on the heavy side.

i like it for long range (400-800 yards) shooting but it is not ideal for close quarters or urban combat situations.

so instead of building a whole new ar-15, thinking about just building a complete upper. the lower and the stock are pretty lightweight by themselves.

any recommendations for the upper and barrel? prefer not to have to go NFA but if I need to i will.

i want a sbr, extremely lightweight and short.

Hannahbear,

I have been looking for some parts to begin building a new rifle and found a location in CA called ARES Armor - https://aresarmor.com/. I have not yet contacted them, but the prices look good and it appears the quality is there.
This will be the first rifle that I have built from purchased pieces and I'm a bit nervous. I do have friends here in my area who say they can help, so I'm looking forward to the experience.
If you are looking for super small and light, but want to skip the SBR, check out Sig's arm brace. Very versatile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upusknf6sA0

Also, .300 blk is a great round, but if you don't reload and/or you don't care about subsonic rounds, 5.56 might be easier in the long run.
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com
(03-10-2014, 09:16 AM)Martin Wrote: Hannahbear,

I have been looking for some parts to begin building a new rifle and found a location in CA called ARES Armor - https://aresarmor.com/.

I have not yet contacted them, but the prices look good and it appears the quality is there.
This will be the first rifle that I have built from purchased pieces and I'm a bit nervous. I do have friends here in my area who say they can help, so I'm looking forward to the experience.

FYI

Quote:California-based gun company Ares Armor is currently fending off efforts from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to seize not only their 80 percent AR lowers but also the names of 5,000 customers who bought them.

The company has filed a restraining order against a pending ATF raid on the company, which, according to Dimitrios Karras, CEO of Ares Armor, was communicated to him through his lawyer on March 10....

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/13/ares-armor-halts-atf-raid-refuses-turn-customer-names-video/
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

yeah, they make a cool 80% lower, where the part you need to drill out is a slightly easier to drill material (and different color), making it even easier to complete correctly. The ATF is accusing them of making a completed lower, then filling it back in to make it an 80%.
Correction here...Ares is a store that was selling EP Armory 80% polymer lowers. It's those lowers that the ATF is taking issue with, but trying to seize Ares entire customer database.

This despite the fact that the EP Armory lowers meet all ATF regs regarding 80% lowers. Where the ATF says they make a completed lower and then fill it with the softer material, it's actually the reverse of the process: they start with the block of the softer material intended to be removed later, then mold the rest of the lower around it, so that at no point was the lower in a state more than 80% completed.
(03-04-2014, 10:32 PM)Highwayman Wrote: I just saw this about ArmaLite having a sale on uppers. Might be worth a look.

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/04/looking-upper-armalite-holding-major-mcarmalite-sale/

sonuva.....that would have been perfect...if the frigging car didnt need new tires and an alignment.

almost done with training at my new job so i think for my birthday which is in July then i will buy my new upper.

(03-10-2014, 09:16 AM)Martin Wrote: Hannahbear,

I have been looking for some parts to begin building a new rifle and found a location in CA called ARES Armor - https://aresarmor.com/. I have not yet contacted them, but the prices look good and it appears the quality is there.

im not interested in lowers.

(03-10-2014, 11:09 AM)Michael Wrote: If you are looking for super small and light, but want to skip the SBR, check out Sig's arm brace. Very versatile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upusknf6sA0

Also, .300 blk is a great round, but if you don't reload and/or you don't care about subsonic rounds, 5.56 might be easier in the long
run.

definitely will check out the arm brace thanks.
(03-14-2014, 01:05 PM)DenverGP Wrote: Correction here...Ares is a store that was selling EP Armory 80% polymer lowers. It's those lowers that the ATF is taking issue with, but trying to seize Ares entire customer database....

It looks like the ATF is no longer trying to get that customer database. In the spirit of jack-booted thuggery, they kicked down the door and took it. If you did business with Ares, you might be getting a visit from your friendly neighborhood government agent soon.

Quote:UPDATE 3/16: Apparently the temporary restraining order obtained by Ares Armor was revised to include a clause to “not restrain lawful criminal proceedings”. So, I guess the ATF considers breaking into a business and stealing its computers and records is a “lawful criminal proceeding”. I guess the people who bought the lowers in question can expect some kind of contact from the ATF. Fun times.

We’ve always said that a restraining order is just a piece of paper. Usually we’re referring to defensive gun uses when we say that. However, in this case we have the government violating a restraining order issued by… the government.

http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/breaking-atf-raids-ares-armor-in-direct-violation-of-court-issued-restraining-order/

I have no reason to trust this government. Remember, you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(03-16-2014, 06:41 AM)Highwayman Wrote: It looks like the ATF is no longer trying to get that customer database. In the spirit of jack-booted thuggery, they kicked down the door and took it. If you did business with Ares, you might be getting a visit from your friendly neighborhood government agent soon.

http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/breaking-atf-raids-ares-armor-in-direct-violation-of-court-issued-restraining-order/

I have no reason to trust this government. Remember, you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

i saw those on gunbroker.com and was skeptical. you attempt to bypass laws and ATF you are just playing with fire and asking for trouble. looks like Ares got all they wanted and more. not really sympathetic. i mean come on...doing 80% of the machining and leaving the rest to your customers...deliberate and intentionally done to skirt the laws. glad I didnt buy one now!
It's not skirting the law. It is the law! Nothing wrong or illegal was done by anyone except the government.

Good to know that following the law and being guilty of nothing other than non compliance with illegal goverment demands means "asking for trouble" and "getting what you deserve" when unjustly prosecuted. :throwup:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
When in doubt. JFC.

Wow, I guess this is one of those cases where you discover who the principled folks are and who's willing to sell others down the river...

Somewhere between a block of aluminum and lower receiver is a line that the BATFE clearly defined, in their own findings as "not a firearm" - bringing rise to the "80%" term.

Ares did nothing wrong, they fully complied with the BATFE ruling and yet were still raided...

I have no doubt that this is being driven by the anti-gunners in California who have introduced "Ghost Gun" (Google it) legislation and need to manufacture some data to support it.

In other words this is right from the anti-gun playbook, and I'm dismayed to see folks on our side are swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

O2
(03-16-2014, 10:10 AM)O2HeN2 Wrote: and I'm dismayed to see folks on our side are swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

O2

Me too
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com