Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magazine parts kits
I was in OD Green supply the other day and say what appeared to be mill surp magazine parts kits for Ar15 and AK47's last I checked no military that uses these ever produced in mass quantity anything less than 20 rounders. Even tho they are $30 bucks a pop I was wondering what is the legality (if any one knows) about places selling disassembled 15+ round mags?
Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
Murphy was a grunt.
Odd objects attract fire - never lurk behind one.
A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ClxpR8Igg4#

Found this interesting bit on youtube
(02-21-2014, 05:24 PM)Indyrocker Wrote:  I was in OD Green supply the other day and say what appeared to be mill surp magazine parts kits for Ar15 and AK47's last I checked no military that uses these ever produced in mass quantity anything less than 20 rounders. Even tho they are $30 bucks a pop I was wondering what is the legality (if any one knows) about places selling disassembled 15+ round mags?

My understanding of the law is that this would be perfectly legal. The law reads that it is illegal to sell or purchase a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds or that can be readily converted to accept more than 15 rounds. Which as we all know pretty much covers every magazine with a removable base plate.

So selling a magazine "parts" kit fits neither of those definitions. Until a person actually assembles a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds no law has been broken.

IANAL
IDNSAAHILN
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Ok that makes more sense. The 30 buck price tag bites tho for basic mill surp but people will pay it and we know that they are just buying them to fix their legal mags right *wink* *wink*
Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
Murphy was a grunt.
Odd objects attract fire - never lurk behind one.
A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
A few weeks back I saw a deal for 30 round pmags with a rivet which blocks them to 10 rounds, think they were like $12 each. If someone was ok with breaking a stupid law, 2 minutes with a drill and it would be back to a 30 rounder.
Does anyone know if it's illegal to repair 30-round mags that were grandfathered in? I bought a bunch of old mags from a buddy of mine when they announced that the ban was going through, but they all require parts, like followers, springs, some require one-side of the mag body and others base plates. Repair kits are just deconstructed mags, so can I find these kits in CO? Or am I just SOL?
(09-24-2015, 12:21 PM)QPA Wrote:  Does anyone know if it's illegal to repair 30-round mags that were grandfathered in? I bought a bunch of old mags from a buddy of mine when they announced that the ban was going through, but they all require parts, like followers, springs, some require one-side of the mag body and others base plates. Repair kits are just deconstructed mags, so can I find these kits in CO? Or am I just SOL?

Not being a lawyer, I'd say this is probably legal, but is definitely a grey area. I don't think there's a law to specify, and no case law to really say either way.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
(09-26-2015, 02:56 PM)JackRock Wrote:  Not being a lawyer, I'd say this is probably legal, but is definitely a grey area. I don't think there's a law to specify, and no case law to really say either way.

It is not being enforced because it's unenforceable.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/09/28/colorado-sheriffs-move-forward-with-challenge-of-state-gun-laws/
About a year ago I was in an un-named Colorado County gun shop and noticed a shelf full of 30 round mags and a couple 100 round AR "stick" mags. Made a comment to the owner about following the new law, he said he started selling "repair kits" but since no one gave a (shinola) he just started selling complete mags. He said he even sold a couple 30 round AR mags to the prosecutor a couple weeks earlier.

If you are dealing with metal mags there are NO markings identifying date of manufacture so it is the gestapo's burden of proof as to when you got them. I had over 100 30 round AR mags at the time of the law passage that I had for over 20 years (pre 1994 AWB) that were still in the wrappers, who could prove if any were recent purchases. As has been said, totally unenforceable.
I was at the Tanner Gun Show two weekends ago, and I heard the owner of my LGS describe it this way. "I am selling you a kit to repair your pre-ban standard size magazine." When asked to explain, he repeated the above, in a very friendly manner.
IOW, it's a legal grey area, and as long as everyone goes winky-winky, County Attorneys are not excited about prosecuting.
I am not a lawyer. You should consult one before trusting me.
I just about lit on fire when someone from California described our laws here as "draconian."

Improper, yes, but if they are "draconian" then there no such thing as a non-draconian infringement and the word, originally meaning particularly severe, becomes useless.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
How did the rest of that conversation go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.