Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New generator.
Purchasing a gen tomorrow. Nothing fancy. A Coleman 6250. Getting it for $400. Looks brand new. Guy said he only used it twice. It started up on the second pull. I figure it will be enough to run a few key items in the house should the need arise. Not what I want but it will work for now.
Smileak
That is awesome. I wish I could pick one of those up sooner rather than later. Make sure to run it at least once a month so the engine doesn't sieze up or stop working from lack of use.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”
I bouht a popup camper a few weeks ago, gonna get a generator myself....
Not a bad price for a 6250, that will run a lot more than you think. Does it have wheels and detachable fuel tank? Big bonus on the fuel tank if so. If you can get an extra one you may consider it. Holes in the plastic tanks can happen from rubbing or puncture more than you would imagine.
I have a few that I use. Champion 4000, Generac 4500 and a Lincoln 100% duty cycle 8kw welder/generator... I had a 7kw Generac at one time and that was a great one too...
(02-15-2010, 11:53 PM)TheRedKnight Wrote:  That is awesome. I wish I could pick one of those up sooner rather than later. Make sure to run it at least once a month so the engine doesn't sieze up or stop working from lack of use.

Sta-Bil is your friend
There never was a bad man that had ability for good service.

-Edmund Burke 1788-02-15

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
Life never forgives weaknesses.
-Adolf Hitler
What do folks think of a propane-fired generator? i like that, unlike gas powered, the fuel never "goes bad"
If you already have the propane infrastructure in place, why not? You will want to own your own propane tanks (the more the better) so you are not beholden to a specific propane company, and have them filled.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
One thing about running an internal combustion engine on propane, they are a bit more cold blooded and prone to freezing up the atomizer if kept in an unheated building.

They do make duel fuel models that you can start on gasoline and switch to propane after warmup.
I did not know about that issue, Buford. Thanks!

I wonder if there is a way to keep the atomizer in a heated location and put the rest of it outside. Or, alternatively, put the generator in your garage (which if attached is semi-heated) and make sure you can pipe the exhaust outside.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
An attached garage might be warm enough.
At work we have a propane fuel fork lift in an unheated metal building and when it gets in the 30s you start to have problems ,at 10 to 20 deg it's time to fire up the salamander and warm it up before it will start
(11-10-2011, 03:59 PM)mule Wrote:  Not a bad price for a 6250, that will run a lot more than you think. Does it have wheels and detachable fuel tank? Big bonus on the fuel tank if so. If you can get an extra one you may consider it. Holes in the plastic tanks can happen from rubbing or puncture more than you would imagine.
I have a few that I use. Champion 4000, Generac 4500 and a Lincoln 100% duty cycle 8kw welder/generator... I had a 7kw Generac at one time and that was a great one too...

I have the Champion 4000 and it works beautifully. Bought it a couple of years ago from Camping World; it was on sale. Had just bought a travel trailer and used the heck out of it that first summer. Never had a single problem with it. Plenty of juice to run the air conditioner, refrigerator, stereo, microwave, everything. The only "problem" is that it's pretty noisy. Me and a buddy built a sound-dampening box that solved that quite handily. That way, we can run it after "quiet hours" in some of the campgrounds we use and not have to worry about making the neighbors angry.
William Bynum
clearcreekshooting.com