Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centennial Gun Club - Grand Opening new facility
Today was members day at CGC, Sunday is public open house.

Stopped in today, new store area is big and inviting, brightly lit. Outside has the appearance of a nice mountain lodge type fascia and wood accents. Range is modern with the see through partitions and electronic target movement stuff becoming common at high end ranges. Nice check in area with darkened hardened glass view windows to see inside some of the range from there.

Today and tomorrow the ultra-exclusive area for high end clients was open to view. Very country club/mountain lodge themed, pool tables, big chairs, giant TV, fireplace. Private locker room and showers. And a vault, a real bank style vault with dual-key drawers like your safety deposit box. Entrance to the high-end area was via retina scanner. That area also has its own smaller range and separate entrance.

Anyway not going to drop $8200 initiation plus $200/mo for that but it'd be a great business entertainment type thing if you entertain clients who like to shoot and prefer privacy.

Meanwhile back in the normal member area, John and his training crew got a great new training room complete with tactical scenario simulator and lots of classroom space. Very nice. There's also a small cafeteria like area that will have vending stocked by Aramark for grabbing a quick bite or a soda.

Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but they executed well on their original vision even with the years of delay and deserve congrats on sticking with it. Word on the street is that funding was hard to come by at one point so they built the smaller facility and grew it organically in today's business buzzwords.

We were early members and we're happy to see the changes. Even more so even if their concept isn't your thing, I think we all agree we're happy to see ranges busy. I got there late in the evening and there was a member tournament for prizes going on. Talking with some if the staff it was barely walking room most of the day. And this was member day. Sunday could be a bit overwhelming if you're wanting to take a peek and don't like crowds.

Liked the layout, think they pulled off what they were trying to do. Will report back about the range itself later on. Will probably hit the new range during a weekday when things are quieter.

All members have some free range passes every year so if someone is thinking about membership, hit up any member for a pass. I think it's a free hour.

I haven't looked at pricing lately. We're grandfathered on intro pricing so I know it went up from there... pretty sure it's all on the website.

The people there are truly awesome. They even reached out to us when my father, who was also a member, passed away.

I'll always debate paying higher costs for plinking than necessary because I've always been a skinflint, but... the combination of facility and people that we now know fairly well, well at least as good acquaintances and trainers, and their good attitude has solidified a personal loyalty to the place.

Plus it's relatively convenient for us even after we moved out of Centennial. I can hit the range on the way to/from my day job and I'm regularly at Centennial Airport.

Cool to see a successful open house at any range, really. It'll probably be a zoo, but stop in on Sun and peek at the soon to be closed high end area. It'll make you wish you has a reasonable reason to buy a company membership to take clients.

Sure felt different than the starter store and range! Almost too fancy! :)
Range business in general is picking up; there are apparently THREE indoor ranges slated to open in Colorado Springs within the next couple of years (one of them being a new branch of the already existing Whistling Pines). There will be one near Bass Pro (It's still a metal skeleton) and the other future club has a table at this weekend's gun show to advertise themselves. They are both in the wrong part of town for me (whistling pines' current location is very convenient to my work location) so I will pass but I am sure others will find them useful. (I probably will use the new WP location as well, because it has a 100 meter range--that's worth special trips and will cost me nothing extra.)
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
It is fairly busy but not crazy if anyone is going over. Cold/snow limiting some traffic today I think.
It was pretty crazy both days (I was there for the member's only and the next day to shoot). The new place is really awesome all around and I think they made excellent use of the huge increase in floor space for the store.

My only beef is with how they administer the shooting lanes. Today my wife and I arrived about 15 to 20 minutes early as we usually do (we shoot almost every weekend) and checked in for our lanes. At our reserved shooting time we were told to head for our lanes, went inside and people were still shooting eating into our hour. They then had the audacity to spend a couple of minutes taking pictures of themselves with the targets while we were standing there obviously waiting for them to clear out. Hopefully this was a one-off occurrence, but it annoyed me that people could be so inconsiderate and the staff didn't do anything to hustle them along. For now I'll attribute it to growing pains. They have a lot of new ROs who are probably just getting settled.

Aside from that anecdote, the new range is great. I especially like that there are no "short" lanes now. They all go out to 25 yards. And I don't know if its because the range is larger or not, but it sure seems a lot quieter than the old 6 lane range. You can still tell when someone is shooting a shotgun, but it's definitely more subdued sound wise.
Made a range visit this week, have to say I probably had the place over-hyped in my mind due to the membership rates I see on their website, because I found the facility kind of a let down, I think I was expecting gold inlay floors and smoking jackets, but the place looks very normal, nothing really extravagant in the lobby and retail area, I didn't look much farther than that so maybe it gets more posh in the member areas?

Anyways, the retail area is decent sized, but again I think I was expecting more, for being such a 'high end' place I was surprised at the lack of high end brand name firearms anywhere to be found, just your normal run of the mill stuff, not much wow or drool factor anywhere in the retail area that caught my eye.

We came to shoot so we had to sign in as non-members at their computer kiosk, employee wise it was a mixed bag, with the majority of interactions were good to great with one exception of the older gentleman behind the counter who was definitely an ass, asking him a simple question about the process annoyed him and he made to sure to let me know it in his attitude. Other employees in the retail and shooting counter were more than pleasant and helpful. While we were at the counter process our applications to use the range a customer and a 'manager' were having a quiet argument that escalated and got heated. So maybe just bad timing or maybe a sign of a place with a growing bad attitude?

The range was the high-point of the place, definitely a nice range, well lit, large, easy to use digital target setting system. I was a bit nervous waiting for the 'range master' to be a true dick, but it was quite the opposite, he was pleasant, no attitude at all, helpful, watched him patiently look on as someone had a jam that took them some time to clear and to his credit he never jumped the gun trying to step in.

Nice range, nice place but not the Taj Mahal facility I was expecting. I'd return to shoot there, but it wouldn't be my first choice shooting range as the formality of the place I can probably do without, there really is no attraction of it to me, I'm not going to entertain clients at the range, for me I just like a safe range that you get left alone at, a bit of a dump like the shootist I prefer, like the unlimited range time there versus the 1 hour strict time limits. That was one of the things that was a bit off putting in regard to the older guy behind the counter with the attitude, he kept trying to explain different range times available instead of our reservation time and wasn't doing a good job and got upset doing so. Kind of a lot of rigmarole about nothing, too much drama for me just to use a range. He was pretty much making us feel 2nd class for not being members and stressing how strict the range time was and made us think the place must be hopping busy. It was quite the contrary the range was 75% or more empty the whole time we were there, so I have no idea what the old guys problem was.

But the range is very nice, spanking new, they've definitely done the range right.
They're a bit hobbled by their range time system. It's one of those computer systems you love to hate.

Can book online (when it works) but it's definitely problematic. Supposedly the iPhone App also works. Never has for me. Has been a pain since long before they opened the new facility.

I bet the guy at the counter was annoyed with it. Most of the staff seems to be.

There's one guy who has the patience for it, and he helped me through a problem on the phone.

With all the new lanes, they should just have some "open shoot" times during non-busy hours. If there are any non-busy hours these days.

Dunno, I haven't been in during a weekday morning or early afternoon in a long time. Too busy working.

They kinda missed on the "country club" feel they were shooting for in the regular member areas. They nailed it in the $8000/mo elite area. I was kinda expecting some couches and a lounge area from initial brochures. Not that a shooting range needs such, just what I envisioned. A bit more of a "hangout" area for members.

Still like it, but if you want to put in a few uninterrupted hours of shooting, you have to think about how you're booking and book back to back reservations at a non-peak time. You can do it, but the reservation system creates a time-clock feel.

For just getting an hour in, it's great.

It would help if they could automate the check in for members to the point where you just walk straight to your lane also. The counter and manual check in is time consuming and I think the point of a membership is to get in and out and get your shooting done if there's a time clock running. A card key to just walk in and set up would be great. They issue colored cards to indicate whether a shooter is qualified for holster draw, etc. Just issue me a badge of that color and I bring it with me and walk in. Stick my photo on it. I would be cool with that. Or even make it an incentive system. Get fully qualified, get your member badge. I know part of why they don't just have folks walk in is folks go over and then it gets crowded If people are standing around inside the range. Can't really do that either.

Just random thoughts. Sounds kinda negative reading it, but I really don't mind it to a huge extent. Just thoughts on how they could make it better.
Great reviews guys. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

I saw that they let you shoot full auto firearms at Centennial, maybe I'm just ignorant, but are there other indoor ranges that let you shoot automatic weapons or is that unusual?
(03-24-2014, 08:15 PM)mfinley919 Wrote: I saw that they let you shoot full auto firearms at Centennial, maybe I'm just ignorant, but are there other indoor ranges that let you shoot automatic weapons or is that unusual?

It's rare around here, but lots of ranges around the country do it.
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com
do they have a website link?
(07-07-2014, 12:30 AM)HannahBearCo Wrote: do they have a website link?

I'm sure you've found it by now, but just in case:

Centennial Gun Club
I first heard about CGC here and finally had a chance to be in the area and stop in. Its a great facility but I was a bit disappointed with the staff. Nice enough, but only in a snobbish sort of way. I got the feeling loud and clear, working class/blue collars like me are not high on their priority list. The store was pretty much empty and no one had time to answer questions let alone show me around. Just handed me a brochure with the fees and went back to reading American Rifleman or whatever it was. Guns and ammo maybe.
(08-25-2014, 03:29 PM)rootbrain Wrote: I first heard about CGC here and finally had a chance to be in the area and stop in. Its a great facility but I was a bit disappointed with the staff. Nice enough, but only in a snobbish sort of way. I got the feeling loud and clear, working class/blue collars like me are not high on their priority list. The store was pretty much empty and no one had time to answer questions let alone show me around. Just handed me a brochure with the fees and went back to reading American Rifleman or whatever it was. Guns and ammo maybe.

I pretty much feel the same way root does. Very snobbish, and similar to Blu Core if you are not an ex seal or leo or Manning don't expect much. I went as a guest of a member. When we got to the actual range some kid range master started to lecture us because we didn't buy our ammo there. After about 5 minutes of this, we asked if he could stop with the lecture. He did not like that, and let us know. Made us very uncomfortable, so much to the point that we packed up and left, not firing one shot. When we turned our yellow cards in for our id's 10 minutes after we just entered the range, the two guys working the counter didn't even bat an eye that we were just there checking in. Either they didn't care, or just to oblivious to recognize us from 10 minutes prior. Either way we did not feel comfortable in the range with this kid having a gun. Definitely a weird situation. I won't be back, and my friend wasnt really impressed either. YMMV.

Edit 5/15/2016- still haven't been back, have been happily supporting other ranges that don't have sticks up their areses. Have steered many folks away from this place , and will continue to do so. Way to many good places out there to support unlike these people at Centennial.
Edit 4/3/17- still haven't gone back. Have steered many away as mentioned previously. Hope the place is struggling really. Don't need places and people like this. Another place to steer clear from is blu core, unless you want to see their employees hopping around on one leg trying to rack a slide with one hand to "simulate what green berets do". I'm not kidding, I witnessed this here.
(04-04-2017, 04:46 AM)Clamps Wrote: Edit 4/3/17- still haven't gone back. Have steered many away as mentioned previously.  Hope the place is struggling really. Don't need places and people like this. Another place to steer clear from is blu core, unless you want to see their employees hopping around on one leg trying to rack a slide with one hand to "simulate what green berets do". I'm not kidding, I witnessed this here.

Another reason I'm glad I don't live close to this range.  
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center