Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iron sights for AR
So I have a buddy who just got a DPMS Oracle AR. Yay for him!! Anyway, he was asking me about iron sights for it. The Oracle does not have any sights at all, just a flat top and instead of the "A frame" style front sight there is just a short rail for a front sight. The one thing is that the front "rail" and the top rail where the rear sight would go are not level with each other. I was not sure if that would matter, I also have heard that the Magpul front flip up sights will melt if they are put on the gas block front "rail"? Not sure if this is true and thought I would ask here for him!! Thanks all!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
-Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

"A free people.... Ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
-George Washington

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government, but illegal for the citizenry"
-Thomas Jefferson
Smileak
For the money it will cost to iron sight it the right way just buy a optic or dot sight. You could change the rail to a one that extends farther with sight mount or change gas block out and go iron sights but it won't be cheap. With the factory gas block there is no great way to do it and you would have to buy at the least a 100 dollar iron sight for front and a riser plate with a magpul rear. I bet you put 200 in iron sights to jimmy rig it.

I would buy a primary arms micro dot for 110 or step up with more money to a aim point or eotech or scope depending on your intended use. 110 for a micro dot will be the cheapest reliable option and it will work in a pinch as a combat sight even if the dot doesn't work.
NRA instructor
$50 concealed carry classes
http://www.cogunowners.com/showthread.php?tid=1704 Click for information
Great info Poison!! I will let him know, I am glad someone had some info on this!! I had also heard about putting both the front sight and rear on the top rail that is already there? Did not know if that would work or not?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
-Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

"A free people.... Ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
-George Washington

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government, but illegal for the citizenry"
-Thomas Jefferson
Smileak