Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the next ammo shortage?
(11-09-2013, 05:34 PM)Racine Wrote: I'm not sure what all the national bullet makers use for their supply but I'm hoping they didn't use this company. The dilemma is who will be the major provider for our military needs when this plant is closed. Thankfully A-stan and our crusades in the middle east are winding down. The last time I thought ammo was a bargain was when I was paying $6/50 of 40 blazer and $7/50 of 45acp of the same. It hasn't been that way in a while.

I member those prices. Ah those were the days.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Just read another artical on this subject.
Sierra bullets was asked if the plant closure would affect their production and their answer was no as they buy lead from the same company but it comes from a recycling plant in Boss MO. about 100 miles from the Doe Run plant.
(10-29-2013, 12:54 PM)mfinley919 Wrote: EPA causes more jobs to be lost. Great job Obama!

Lead the new asbestos of the EPA. Idiots.

But Please remember the EPA put this rule in effect in 2008.
As an Ex-Coloradoan, I'm saddened to see what the Liberals have done to this beautiful state. xmad
(10-29-2013, 12:54 PM)mfinley919 Wrote: EPA causes more jobs to be lost. Great job Obama!

Lead the new asbestos of the EPA. Idiots.

Quote:Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.

Looks like the EPA put this in effect in 2008.

Cnon
As an Ex-Coloradoan, I'm saddened to see what the Liberals have done to this beautiful state. xmad
I don't think it'll cause a panic. I think it will probably slow supply down further, and maybe drive prices up a little. But prices are already artificially high, so we may not even see a significant price bump. Whatever, I've got plenty.
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com
Cabelas has 22LR in stock online a/o 5 hours ago...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rimfire-Ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/Remingtonreg-22-LR-Rimfire-Ammunition/734676.uts?

Normally shipping costs kill the value, taking it from 7 cents/rd upwards to 14-15 cents/rd, but right now (through midnight tonight get free shipping using promo code 3WINTER

Not sure if it's still in stock but even if not, the promo code makes other ammo purchases more appealing!
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
The Blaze has a good story about the rumors surrounding the closing of the lead plant.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/02/rumor-check-did-obama-close-a-lead-plant-in-order-to-enact-backdoor-gun-control/
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

The NRA is saying this is a non-story as far as ammo is concerned, and there is nothing to be concerned about (at least as far as this story goes.)
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com
10% of lead consumption in the US is from mined rather than recycled. So we will be importing that much every year.

Hope we don't have a war where shipping is cut off. Of course we could fight for a year or two with the ammo in everybody's basements.
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
-Pink Floyd...or was it Benjamin Franklin?
It may be that 10% of all lead consumption is freshly mined "virgin" lead. But ammo apparently uses nothing but recycled.

To be sure if we ever lost all supplies of virgin lead, we'd eventually lose enough recycled lead from attrition that we'd truly run out of lead for ammo, But that's way down the road even if we lose our virgin lead supplies.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun