Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the next ammo shortage?
Could we be having a disruption in domestic ammo production? I think manufactures will find solutions and likely not miss a beat with production. Our biggest real problem might be another round of panic buying. Price increases seem like a very real possibility to me and that's enough trigger another round of stockpiling fever.

Quote:According to the NRA-ILA, the last primary lead smelter in the United States will close down its operation in December.

This means the US will lose its capability to produce lead ammo completely within its borders from the process of mining to production of commercial cartridges.

Here is the press release from the NRA-ILA.

In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close. The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum, Missouri, and owned and operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since 1892.

The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri’s extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its “primary” designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. Several “secondary” smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States.

Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.

Whatever the EPA’s motivation when creating the new lead air quality standard, increasingly restrictive regulation of lead is likely to affect the production and cost of traditional ammunition. Just this month, California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a bill that will ban lead ammunition for all hunting in California. The Center for Biological Diversity has tried multiple times to get similar regulations at the federal level by trying, and repeatedly failing, to get the EPA to regulate conventional ammunition under the Toxic Substances Control Act.

At this time, it’s unclear if Doe Run or another company will open a new lead smelter in the United States that can meet the more stringent lead air quality standards by using more modern smelting methods. What is clear is that after the Herculaneum smelter closes its doors in December, entirely domestic manufacture of conventional ammunition, from raw ore to finished cartridge, will be impossible.

http://gunssavelives.net/news/last-u-s-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december-due-to-epa-might-affect-ammo-production/
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

Gun Talk had someone from California on the show recently talking about the effects of lead on wildlife. It was an interesting discussion about lead bullets and how minimally that's impacted wildlife, with the primary sources if lead ingestion coming from other sources like poorly disposed paint, paint chips, and the ilk.

If I can remember which show, I'll come back and post a link here. That being said, the closing of the plant will most assuredly cause another panic run. I'd buy now and then sit on the sidelines later.
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
I perhaps ought to lay in some more 9mm then; I have enough to last me a few months.

I wouldn't call this the next panic though, because the "previous" panic still hasn't ended. I still never see diddly at Walmart or Sportsmen's Warehouse (though admittedly I haven't been to SW in over a month). I haven't seen .22 LR for sale anywhere in Colorado Springs in months, I lucked into some a while ago, being in the right place at the right time and being literally within seconds of missing out. It disappears within minutes of hitting the shelf.

I have managed to get some .22LR at Cabela's (two out of three trips) but being an hour and a half drive away, for a lousy piddling box of 100, it's not really an option unless I am in the area anyway for something else (perhaps even something else at Cabela's). So when I am there, I crack a joke about unicorns, grab a box, and watch their stock evaporate in real time for about five minutes. I'd guess, there, it's gone within an hour until they restock.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
EPA causes more jobs to be lost. Great job Obama!

Lead the new asbestos of the EPA. Idiots.
Three boxes of .22LR when I swung by Wal-Mart at lunch ($7/box...$25 after tax for all 300 rounds).

Current stock:
1400 9mm
1200 .22mm
500 .380ACP

Not a ton but enough to practice for up to a year if need be. Now I just shoot when I want and order piecemeal
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
Are you still in Columbia Station, Ohio?
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Yepper
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
It's a pretty sight:

[Image: atysyja6.jpg]
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
Standard velocity. I'm jealous. I've had some on order from Graf & Sons since March. :(

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
I do have two bricks (actual 500 round bricks, none of this 325 round BS), but I don't want to dig into them until I am confident I can replace them without too much trouble.

Biggun
(10-30-2013, 06:29 PM)O2HeN2 Wrote: Standard velocity. I'm jealous. I've had some on order from Graf & Sons since March. :(

O2

Try Cabelas north.

I bought 4boxes of CCI standard velocity 3 weeks ago at $4 a box
(10-31-2013, 07:39 AM)bufordtjustice Wrote: Try Cabelas north.
Ouch. Too far from me, unfortunately :(

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
22 rimfire from Cabelas online

.09/round

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rimfire-Ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/CCISpeer-22-Rimfire-Ammunition/705571.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frimfire-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100192%2F&rid=11&WT.tsrc=AFF&WT.mc_id=cj3946285
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
Went to Denver tonight for other reasons, Cabelas (south) had no 22 at all . But I did buy another mag pouch.

Biggun
if you do get out to cabellas occasionally, then keep an eye on slickguns.com. In the past week I've picked up 4 packs of federal automatch 325 count, $18 each. Free ship-to-store, and it'll usually get there about a week or two later. I just swing by about once a month. I've got 500 rounds of 22, and 600 rounds of 9mm, along with a couple very cheap Kershaw folders that were on clearance, waiting for my next pickup hopefully this weekend.

As of right now, the only 22 I see in stock for cabellas is cci mini mags, $9/100 pack. They have a limit of 1 pack a day on these. A few months back I ordered 5 or 6 of these, one per day, then picked them all up 2 weeks later.
When they do have 22 that's what it is, and I have (as a result of my two successful tries there) two shiny boxes of it in the living room.

Biggun
Just got back from the south Cabellas. Was picking up some stuff I had shipped-to-store. They had lots of Herters 9mm, $14/50 rounds. And they had 15-20 boxes of Federal American Eagle 22, 400 round boxes for $22. The federal 400 round boxes were interesting, inside the box was 10 little 40 round boxes.

Anyway, when I left there were still a few boxes of the 22, and probably 50 boxes of the 9mm left.
I am posting this an hour and forty seven minutes after your post.

I am sure it's all gone by now.

Biggun
Remington 9mm...

50 rounds, $12.99[Image: agy2utam.jpg]
Jason Anderson
NRA Instructor
Firearms enthusiast
I'm not sure what all the national bullet makers use for their supply but I'm hoping they didn't use this company. The dilemma is who will be the major provider for our military needs when this plant is closed. Thankfully A-stan and our crusades in the middle east are winding down. The last time I thought ammo was a bargain was when I was paying $6/50 of 40 blazer and $7/50 of 45acp of the same. It hasn't been that way in a while.