Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age limit to own a handgun
Hey everyone. I've been a gun enthusiast pretty much my entire life and I'm just about to turn 18. I know I'm going to buy a gun on my birthday (who knows where the gun control laws are going in the future) and if possible I want to buy a handgun. So I did a couple hours worth of digging on the internet to see if it is legal to own a handgun at 18 and I am yet to find a statute stating that I can't. It looks like I would have to have a family member purchase the handgun for me though, I've found several different pages saying you do have to be 21 to purchase the firearm from an "FFA certified dealer". So have my efforts of searching done me wrong or am I correct about that?
And just to not litter the forum with another thread I'll post the second question I had for you guys in here... I know I'm a gun nut, and everybody who knows me knows I'm a gun nut. But I don't want to be that guy who walks into a coffee shop with a 9mm on his hip and gets a bunch of glares and strange looks. I haven't been able to find much regarding this but I would like to be able to carry the gun in my backpack (my man purse Bacondance oh-yeah!) but I'm not sure if that would constitute concealed carry (which I know I would have to be 21 to do). For me to carry it in my bag would I have to have a trigger lock on it, or would I have to have the gun unloaded? (which I would probably do otherwise)
Sorry, one last question I figured I'd sneak in. So being a gun-nut you know I want to have all the cool attachments and gizmos for my gun, so the last question (I promise) is would I have to be 21 to apply for class-3 tax stamp?

Thanks in advance guy!

-Lin
Must be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL (Federal Firearm Licensee, aka a gun store) yes. Or, have family or someone else who qualifies with CO's new stupid law to do a transfer sans background check.

Carrying it in a backpack for means of self defense would be concealed carry off body. If you are taking it to the range in your backpack, that is transporting and not concealed carry. I'm not aware of a concise and clear limitation on when it goes from transportation to concealed carry, but it likely has to do with provable intent and use. Hopefully, you never need it and it never comes up. Open carry is still legal 18+ afaik.

Can't help on the NFA stuff, but attachments and gizmos don't require a stamp unless you mean a suppressor or plan on adding a stock to your handgun.
Transporting would be unloaded and cased or bagged. I would use a lock as well. Unless of course you're in your vehicle in which case it can be loaded and accessible.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

You can own one at 18.

You cannot get a permit until you are 21.

In Colorado you can carry it either open (not in prohibited counties or municipalities), or in your car (open or concealed) without a permit. It does not need to be unloaded or locked up.

BUT! If you get caught with it expect a hassle, legal or not.
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com
Hey guys so I am 19 and looking to get a handgun. Can i give a friends 21 or over the money to go by it and then can he give the gun to me. 

Thanks 
Holy cow this thread is getting weird...
(02-17-2015, 06:37 PM)galenstanger Wrote: Hey guys so I am 19 and looking to get a handgun. Can i give a friends 21 or over the money to go by it and then can he give the gun to me. 

Thanks 

No, that is illegal !!!!!
(02-17-2015, 07:58 PM)bufordtjustice Wrote: No, that is illegal !!!!!

whats the best way for me to get a handgun then?
This reeks of a trap.
When in doubt. JFC.

(02-17-2015, 09:49 PM)galenstanger Wrote: whats the best way for me to get a handgun then?

Do to the change in background check laws the only way for you to legally obtain a handgun is to be gifted one by an immediate family member. According to law it must be a gift with no money or goods being exchanged. 
When in doubt. JFC.

(02-18-2015, 11:23 AM)Beau Wrote: This reeks of a trap.

Yhea, after seeing it posted several places my first thought was "I wonder what newsroom is trying to make a story about the internet and illegal transfer advice..."

Sorry, only legal advice here, please move along KOAA*.

O2

*Random choice, picked out of a hat.
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
By eliminating fear of guns you'll put fear back in criminals.
(02-18-2015, 11:28 AM)Beau Wrote: Do to the change in background check laws the only way for you to legally obtain a handgun is to be gifted one by an immediate family member. According to law it must be a gift with no money or goods being exchanged. 

thanks for the for the info!