Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about getting into reloading
Hey guys!
so i've been wanting to get into reloading for a few years now and im not really sure how to go about it. I was thinking of buying a tumbler first. If what i know is correct this is for tumbling the spent brass to polish it. Regardless, i've been looking at this http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html would it work for reloading or should i look elsewhere? any input is welcome. Thanks
The Harbor Freight tumbler looks like the ones the reloading outfits sell. The price seems to be in the ballpark. Check around, there are some kits that include a sifter to separate the brass from the media. It might be a better deal to get a kit than to buys things separately.

I normally tell folks the first thing to buy is a reloading manual. Read it and see what you're getting into before shelling out the bucks for equipment. If you buy a starter kit for the press it normally comes with a manual so get a different manual from what comes with any kit you are looking at. It doesn't hurt to have a few different manuals to compare data. They don't all have the same info.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

Then there's this. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23658/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_CV_2001_Vibratory_Case_Cleaner
If your going to spend money you might as well spend a little more and get superior quality.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Buy a Lyman 49th edition manual and read it like Highwayman said.

And as for the tumbler, thats the last piece I would buy.

I loaded for 15 years before I bought one,and that was because I joined a club that let you pick up any brass on the ground and some of it gets kind of ugly.

If you are starting with new brass and recycling it, a tumbler is almost useless.
Thanks everyone. I'll pick up a manual and read it. I thought you had to tumble all brass that was spent before you reused it? I only asked about the one at harbor freight because i work there so i get employee discounts.
EDIT: i plan on reloading .40. Since one day it will be my carry of choice. Should i start with a different caliber or will .40 be fine. I dont want to reloading shotgun shells.
Pay Attention to detail and you will have no problems.

With High pressure small volume cases like the 40 smith catridge overall length and powder charges being right on are important.

If you overcharge or seat the bullets too deep on a small volume case , pressures can increase dramatically.
I tumble everything. Even once fired brass.

Nothing wrong with starting with .40. That's what I started with. Choose a powder that will fill your case to start out with. Makes it easy to spot double charges or no charge.
When in doubt. JFC.

I like the Lyman manuals, I have a couple of them.

I like the idea of starting out with a straight wall pistol case.

I too started out without a tumbler. But now that I have one I wouldn't give it up. I clean all my brass before starting. Then after sizing and expanding, I clean them again to remove the lub before priming. I like putting a little polish on the brass because the finished product just looks more professional.

We don't all do things the same, but that's OK as long as it's safe.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

Thanks everyone. I'll start looking around as asking. Reloading now is a but overwhelming with all this talk about choosing the right stuff I'm really gonna have to look around.
Reloading tools I would start with.

Press- you will have to decide if you want to start single stage or go with a turret or progresive.
Scale- could start with a standard 505 beam scale or go electronic if funds are no problem
Calipers- dial are fine and don't requier batterys but digital are easier to read
Case trimer- hand crank is what I still use but I will prob buy a powered unit before long
Primer pocket cleaners
Powder funnel
Dies- this Is one piece I would buy new and quality, RCBS, Redding, dillon.
Case mouth deburing tool
Hand priming tool- may or may not need this depending on what press you go with

There is more equipment you can buy but these are the basics that will get you loading.
You'll be fine. Take your time, read and ask questions.

I have no experience with turret or progressive presses. If you get a single stage press, I recommend getting an O-frame type. Midway currently has 10% off on a RCBS Rock Chucker starter kit. If nothing else, looking at what comes in a starter kit will give you an idea what you need to start with.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997/hornady-lock-n-load-classic-single-stage-press-kit

A beam scale will serve you well. That's all we had when I started. Make sure it has some kind of dampening or it takes forever to settle down. I recently bought an inexpensive MTM mini digital scale that I probably will cross check with my beam until I build a trust factor with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713049/mtm-mini-digital-reloading-scale-750-grain-capacity

Don't be afraid to start with basics and upgrade over time. You can drop a lot of money real quick if you try to go top of the line to start out. Shop around and read the costumer reviews on the internet sites, even it you want to buy local.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a diehard Dillon fanatic with a 550, tumbler and multiple dies for 9,40,45,223 and hopefully 308 by next summer. I've had my tumbler since 97 and 10 years later the company still serviced it! Same with my 550. Pay once and never look back. I'd recommend you get a FULL LENGTH SIZING DIE for the 40 and if you shoot enough, a KKM barrel for that glock. I'd load no more than 180 gr bullets preferably moly coated and use Win/Fed primers and Win WST or WSF powders which are affordable and relatively clean. Go for Vithavouri if you can afford it-it's very clean. When you think about it, I paid $500 for that dillon in 97 and have loaded over 200K rounds in all those years for all calibers I use, the savings have been dramatic. The only question I still hate is why I waited 3 years to buy one.
(11-09-2013, 05:50 PM)Racine Wrote:  I'm a diehard Dillon fanatic with a 550, tumbler and multiple dies for 9,40,45,223 and hopefully 308 by next summer. I've had my tumbler since 97 and 10 years later the company still serviced it! Same with my 550. Pay once and never look back. I'd recommend you get a FULL LENGTH SIZING DIE for the 40 and if you shoot enough, a KKM barrel for that glock. I'd load no more than 180 gr bullets preferably moly coated and use Win/Fed primers and Win WST or WSF powders which are affordable and relatively clean. Go for Vithavouri if you can afford it-it's very clean. When you think about it, I paid $500 for that dillon in 97 and have loaded over 200K rounds in all those years for all calibers I use, the savings have been dramatic. The only question I still hate is why I waited 3 years to buy one.

I can't say enough good things about my 550B either. And Dillon's customer service is the best I've ever seen with any company ever.

What powder are you using for your .40?
When in doubt. JFC.

I use Win. WST for practice and VV N320 for matches. They both run clean.
Might as well buy everything now. You're going to end up buying it at some point, lol
Free Conceal Classes in Colorado
NRA Certified Instructors
http://www.concealedcarryforfree.com